Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Seller charging 3% insurance but not insuring ...

Vegar

I apologise for the long winded post - please tell me what you think?

I bought and paid for this today: Blazers & Jackets - Ladies Stunning Black Hooded 1/2 Leather Jacket ,Warm and Comfortable, Size 40 was sold for R290.00 on 23 Jul at 19:23 by BIGPROMOTIONS in Potchefstroom (ID:41875197)

THE SHIPPING WAS R100 + R8.50 FOR INSURANCE 3% (OPTIONAL) I PAID FOR INSURANCE AND I SENT THE SELLER THIS NOTE:

Dear Big Promotions,

I just paid for Order 3980239 including insurance.

I have no doubt that my package will be sent insured by you. However, unfortunately recently I have bought several items from BoB sellers for which I paid insurance only to hear that "Hubby went to send the package and forgot to insure ..." So I am coming to you with 'bad' experience and imploring you to please not 'forget' to insure.

Should the item be sent without the insurance I will consider the fact in the rating - otherwise I will surely give you a brilliantly positive rating :-)

Looking forward to receiving a jacket which will protect me from the Cape storms!

Best regards;

Vered

THE SELLER RESPONDED:

Hi Vered

Wow thanks for the order, but rather just ask don't threaten.

Do you think I would have such a good rating if I did not run a professional service?

Honestly your note really makes me want to just cancel the order, as normally when a client starts off as difficult it continues.

What do you say shell we cancel it? If not can I trust that you are not a difficult person you have just had a bad experience as you mentioned?

Sorry Nothing Personal.

Also bad rating work both ways, I rate according to how friendly and pleasant the transaction was. It is not just about how quickly someone pays and so on.

We personally don't insure as the insurance at the post office does not cover the jacket. As no jacket of this type will cost R290. We offer a replacement jacket if it gets stolen or your money back. I am more than happy to insure the value of R290 but then you won't get a replacement jacket just what the post office offers.

What would you prefer?

Lastly just so you aware we put the jacket in a plastic bag and wrap the item tightly with tape all over. This will look like a ball when you get it. We do this as it is water proof, tamper proof and very secure, plus nobody expects it to be valuable as it does not look like much, so it avoids temptation through the post office. This we changed after some of the jackets disappeared. So clients that don������t understand why we wrap like this are horrified when they get it, so we explain it first now.

Let me know if you would like to go forward or not, I look forward to a long a friendly relationship with you.

Best Regards

Craig

P.S. I do this for fun and not because I need the money."

THE SELLER ASKED FOR 3% INSURANCE ON TOP OF THE R100 - Which I have no problem with - but then they get hectic when I actually want it insured ???

I have not responded to the seller's e-mail - what do you advice?

dstorm

Well there is the option to get into your car at your own cost and pay him R25-00 as “Collection Fee”!

Regards

Jacques

Vegar
Well there is the option to get into your car at your own cost and pay him R25-00 as “Collection Fee”!

Who has ever heard of a collection fee ???

I sure know how to pick them ... AND I am being difficult ... Just asking that he ACTUALLY sends it insured as promised, but his reply reveals that he never intended to do that in the first place.

Seeds for Africa

Personally I would cancel. R 100 shipping is a rip off. The collection cost - enough said! 3% Insurance is not on if sent by the post office. Whenever someone says they do it for the fun and not the cash................. come on............ get real!!!!!

Vegar

What really worries me is the abusive attitude.

He considers the buyer (who has already paid!) to be a difficult person if they are going to insist on getting what they paid for.

In fact, he threatened me that he rates according to how pleasant the transaction is for HIM - not on the fact that I paid immediately!

I find him really scary!

catzcan

Hi Gamu

I have sent 2 parcells on Thursday that had to be insured (I charged 2%). However when I got to the post office they told me that it now is 3%. Did they rip me off or could it have gone up. I haven't sent something insured for a long time .

Wild Olive Art
Hi Gamu

I have sent 2 parcells on Thursday that had to be insured (I charged 2%). However when I got to the post office they told me that it now is 3%. Did they rip me off or could it have gone up. I haven't sent something insured for a long time .

Insurance on ordinary parcels is 2% . If you wish to take insurance on a parcel sent via Speed Services , it is 3% . If you sent your parcels ordinary mail , then you have been ripped off .

Seeds for Africa
Hi Gamu

I second what Wild Olive said. The post office have a habit of making up their own charges at times!

mellowred

From previous threads I think it is illegal to do your "own insurance" which is what he is implying in his response.

We personally don't insure as the insurance at the post office does not cover the jacket. As no jacket of this type will cost R290. We offer a replacement jacket if it gets stolen or your money back. I am more than happy to insure the value of R290 but then you won't get a replacement jacket just what the post office offers.

What would you prefer?

If this it true, and he is doing his own thing, he should clearly state that where he includes the 3% insurance fee.

Miss Jewels
What really worries me is the abusive attitude.

In fact, he threatened me that he rates according to how pleasant the transaction is for HIM - not on the fact that I paid immediately!

I find him really scary!

The rating and postage costs is against BoB's policy. I rate on whether my T C's were met, i.e. payment within the given time, as do most other sellers. Difficult buyer? Sounds more like an arrogant, difficult seller with an attitude!

SpearMint

Hi,

I highlighted part of your article which directly relates to my article.

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/ratings-q/13160-can-you-dispute-sellers-negative-rating-when-done-unjustly.html

“THE SELLER RESPONDED:

Hi Vered

Wow thanks for the order, but rather just ask don't threaten.

Do you think I would have such a good rating if I did not run a professional service?

Honestly your note really makes me want to just cancel the order, as normally when a client starts off as difficult it continues.

What do you say shell we cancel it? If not can I trust that you are not a difficult person you have just had a bad experience as you mentioned?

Sorry Nothing Personal.

Also bad rating work both ways, I rate according to how friendly and pleasant the transaction was. It is not just about how quickly someone pays and so on.”

The buyer has completed his end of the transaction – why should the buyer now possibly get negative ratings for only querying what he/she has already paid for – what a farce.

Cheers

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Regards

Jacques

What next?an entrance fee to visit someones shop?

Vegar

I responded to BIGPROMOTIONS in two ways:

E-mail:

On your order page you offer to send the item insured at R8.70 which is 3% of the paid value - I paid it and that is all I am asking for.

And I notified Community Watch through the item's page - this way my complaint is immediately sent to the seller and he is aware that I am taking it further.

Then I got a message on my phone asking me to call him to sort out the misunderstanding ... I will not bother :worried:

And then I got this e-mail: Dear Vered, Give me a call as you have totaly miss inturpeted my e-mail. I left you a message on your phone. Thanks ...

ziggy2000

Hi, to throw the cat amongst the pigeons :) I have had buyers send me notes in Capital Letters asking for parcels to be well wrapped, sent within stipulated times etc. My initial response to these "notes" is to reply accordingly in Capital Letters that it will be done, though so far I have ignored it. My take on this is that the seller may have felt the note on the rating is "threatening", hence his reply.

Vegar
Hi, to throw the cat amongst the pigeons :) I have had buyers send me notes in Capital Letters asking for parcels to be well wrapped, sent within stipulated times etc. My initial response to these "notes" is to reply accordingly in Capital Letters that it will be done, though so far I have ignored it. My take on this is that the seller may have felt the note on the rating is "threatening", hence his reply.

Yes, of course he felt threatened - he said so!

I explained, very nicely that I am coming from 'bad' experience and I mean nothing personal. However, I made it clear that I will rate accordingly if he doesn't insure.

I have experienced it repeatedly: seller charges EXTRA for insurance and then conveniently hubby "forgets" - I can't understand why they should get away with it - but this seller ADMITS that he had no intention of insuring the item :suspicious:

Buyers ask me to pack securely because they have had bad experience ... I reassure and take extra care to make them happy - I don't attack and intimidate.

As a seller I make a point of buying on BoB, if I find what I need, but it can be a harrowing experience dealing with some of them - especially those who do it for fun ... or do they consider themselves 'professionals' ...??

ziggy2000

Vegar, I understand where you are coming from and agree that the insurance (or no insurance?) charged is not on. My point is just that the rating system is such a sensitive issue and to mention it up front will set alarm bells ringing with any seller.

Vegar

Yes you are right about the rating being a sensitive issue - I said it in the most gentle manner I could but I had to make it clear that that is how I felt.

We all know that the rating system should reflect the level of service but most buyers are too intimidated to be outright honest.

I got a neutral for giving honest feedback to a lunatic :nuts:

catzcan

Thx WOA, It was speed services.

Vegar

BIGPROMOTIONS keeps phoning me to "sort things out" - he doesn't seem to understand that I have paid and all he has to do is send the jacket ...

I called him back after he left 3 messages. He says he wants to sort out the 'problem' and when I ask what the problem is he answers "There is no problem".

I explained that I e-mailed to make sure the item was sent insured - in light of my experience with sellers who supposedly 'forget' to insure.

Then he started to explain to me that I bought a jacket worth R3,400.00 and he can't just insure it for R290 - (it was BUY IT NOW !)

I said the jacket is worth what I paid and in the event it is lost I will be happy for the R290 back. He is unable to grasp this ...

He then said that was not the point and he is upset that I 'threatened' to rate him accordingly if the item is not sent insured. I responded "Then just send it insured - I paid for it!"

He wants to talk about this back and forth - I don't want any contact with him, I see no need to discuss this!

I am going to the CW ...

Vegar

And the end of the saga ...

Hi Vered

I am so sorry we can't get on, but don't worry I will insure the item for the R290.

Hope you love your jackets for the Cape Town storms it is a lovely jacket.

Keep well.

Best Regards

Craig

I responded kindly :-)

TaLamia

I'm glad it finally worked out for you Vegar...

I really am confused as to why the seller did not understand that one insures a package for the amount it was sold for regardless of how much they think the item is "actually worth". It is worth as much as they are willing to put it up on buy now for and thus should be insured for that amount. Makes complete sense to me...

Asha Craft Jewellery

Now i'm tee'd off, because I purchased a jacket from them last week and also paid for insurance, even stating in my note to the seller that insurance was paid for.... grrrrr! I hate when sellers do things like this. It's not on!

Vegar
Now i'm tee'd off, because I purchased a jacket from them last week and also paid for insurance, even stating in my note to the seller that insurance was paid for.... grrrrr! I hate when sellers do things like this. It's not on!

I am curious, did they insure your package?

I think that after his experience with me, and the fact that I complained to CW, he understands that when insurance has been paid for then the item has to be sent insured ... duh ...

I also explained that the value of an item is what was paid for it - not what it was worth NEW in Holland last year ... or whenever - who knows what I will get, after all HE valued it at R290 :nuts:

I discovered that it is a regular practice with many sellers to charge EXTRA for insurance and if you confront them about not sending it insured they blame their spouse or "forgetfulness".

I never ask if the buyer wants insurance - it is INCLUDED in my shipping price which is comparatively low.

Asha Craft Jewellery

I got the tracking number from them today. It's a PE number, meaning NOT insured. Also my first purchase from them, will see what the jacket looks like. I think it should be up to standard because they do state the condition it is in. I've seen some listings by them even stating that a button was broken in half :toung:

I charge 3% for insurance whether it's speed service or economail, because at our postoffice it depends who is behind the counter. I don't think it's too much, considering that my base postage charge is only R29. I always send the parcels insured mail, because you will get buyers that get grumpy if something goes missing, even if they chose not to insure. My policy is that insurance is mandatory. Besides, it speeds up the whole posting process if all the parcels can go through under the same category. i.e. Insured parcel.

Vegar

Good luck with the jacket!

He should refund you the insurance you paid ... tell him you are a friend of mine :bigsmile:

This is the feedback I got: "Nice to do business with a strong straight to the point person, you taught me a thing or too. Thanks!"

I am a strict mama :evil: