Sign in to follow this  
DennisPM

Stamps offered as Discreet

DennisPM

I know this has been raised before but I still cannot quite understand the reason for flagging stamps as discreet bids.

The one explanation I received from a seller was that it prevents other sellers from directly approaching losing bidders with a similar offering. I can believe that there are certain unethical sellers out there who would stoop to such actions but it also implies that buyers are also unethical enough to deal with such sellers.Looking at it from another perspective, if a buyer loses a bid, then they are no longer beholden to that seller and can then buy from whoever they choose provided it is within the rules of BoB.

I for one, have won over 1525 bids and have probably lost over a 1000 more and I have never been directly approached by a seller after a bidding event. Perhaps I am the exception but seeing a stamp offering marked as discreet irks me personally and I, for one, will not bid on "discreet" stamps as a matter of principle.

A quick scan of the stamps on offer reveals a low number of discreet offerings which means that the greater number of sellers trust other sellers and their buyers.

I think the discreet rating is being abused unless it is for "erotic" stamps rather than exotic stamps :cheesy::cheesy: Whenever I see the discreet rating on stamps and other normal articles, I am left with the impression that there is some sort of strange dealing taking place.

My opinion, and if I have affronted anybody, I apologise....

Kind Regards

Dennis

Edited by DennisPM

voldermort

Hi Dennis

Re: Discreet listings….first off let me say that if a seller is planning on shill bidding/underhanded deals etc they are going to do this whether or not the item is listed as discreet, just the same as they would do this whether or not they were a verified user or not. We here on the forum have seen verified sellers blacklisted, as well as normal sellers going bad……the same goes for discreet listings.

Also too it is worth bearing in mind that certain BoB staff are able at any given time to access any BoB account, & I am more than willing to bet that the discreet items are monitored far more closely than normal items….so if shill bidding or any other shady deals were taking place these would be picked up probably far more quickly than the normal listings.

I have no idea why same sellers list very low priced items as discreet but you will find them in just about every category however possibly the reason for listing higher priced items as discreet is just that, it is a higher priced item………& there are some buyers who would prefer to remain anonymous to the general view when spending a lot of money. Personally I would be more than upset if I were to spend thousands of rands at eg: a stamp dealer only to have said dealer telling all & sundry who there after walked into his shop exactly what I bought, what I paid & then also telling them my name.

Unfortunately too there are possibly a very few sellers who probably do monitor other sellers ads to see what they have advertised, what they have bids on, who is bidding on what item etc etc & then may very well if knowing the buyer, offer supposedly similar item at a reduced price……….a discreet listing does away with all that.

So even though a discreet “buyer” may be hidden from the general view, their full contact details are known to the seller and to BoB……who, without meaning to give any offence at all, are the only really relevant persons involved in the sale.

Hopefully I have managed to ease your mind somewhat re discreet listings

All just my humble opinion.........

Have a good weekend :smile:

DennisPM

Hi Samantha

Thanks for your great response and I agree with your comments regarding the need for privacy especially in respect of high priced items.

The seller in question though, clearly told me that it was not a case of privacy and high-priced articles but that he/she does it as a way of preventing other (unethical) sellers from aproaching buyers Further, this same seller marks ALL of his/her items as discreet and not just the high-priced ones. I also definitely diid not have shilling on my mind as I do believe that BoB and the community keep a sharp lookout over bidding.

I for one, enjoy bidding as a strategic "game" and for that reason I want to know who I am bidding against.I have been at this long enough to recognise fellow bidders' patterns and that allows me to decide my own bidding approach. Discreet ratings where sellers are hidden and where the items are low cost takes away some of the fun of auctions and bidding :smile::smile:.

Once again thanks for your lucid and great comments. I guess it is each to his own and I will, as a matter of principle, not bid on "low-cost" discreet items and specifically not bid on items offered by sellers who mark ALL their items as discreet.

Kind regards

Dennis

dstorm

Hello Dennis

I agree with all of your sentiments.

I will also never ever bid on a low cost item if the bidding is discreet. I will always wonder: why is this listing discreet?

Keep well and regards

Jacques

See you on Saturday at the “new and improved fair”? Hitler and Mussolini are doing some sterling work.

seahorsefanatic

Hi Dennis

I agree with you on this one as Im sure other do. I feel that there is a potential "slight of hand" going on even when there might no be. Why hide the name of the buyer. I agree on high value items and discreet items where the buyer will want to keep his identity out of sight.

My take on this isue is that the seller can get the same 'friends' to push up his price and create a false impression that the item is worth more and thus enduce a new buyer / victim to bid on the item and then the support buyers pull out and the seller gets more than they should have for the item. Most times when people get caught its because of greed for which I have no sympathy....its the naive and innocent that get trampled

Those that take it seriously and spend big will not get caught with this type of selling as experience comes with time and you know who to deal with. Its the new buyers who come into the market that get stung. As an example I see the badly stained stamp at R4,500,000 is still up for sale. A stamp thats not worth 50c. Anyone thought of buying it ? In the Stanley gibbons catalogue for Switzerland it is listed as SG 130Be and is catalogued at 15 pence. At current exchange rates its about R1.50 for a good one. This one is stained so would be worth nothing. This should be removed from the site permanently.