Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Sellers who don't complete the checkout

amcintyre

I'm new to selling things on BOB, but have bought a whole lot of items over the last couple of years. The first four sales, last week went really well - the buyers checked out and paid within a few hours. This week one buyer completed the sale and paid quite quickly. However, some buyers haven't even checked out their winning auctions.

I did stipulate in writing that I would like buyers to complete their purchase and pay within 48 hours. I sent an email to each winning buyer, a couple hours after the close of auction, stating thanks for their support and encouraging them to complete the sale and make payment in order that I can post off their items. I gave days and times when I can post them off, depending on when they pay.

So, I know that it's still 24 hours left until my "48 hour deadline". However, what do other sellers do if buyers would ignore their payment deadlines? I am planning to send an additional message asking the buyers, kindly and respectably to complete the purchase this evening and then what? I don't want to jump the gun and believe the worst, but what if it comes to that?

kyle2

I would not worry too much about it, even if you have stipulated 48hours to complete and pay, they have actually 7 days before you can file a SNC. I send the buyers a friendly reminder everyday and promise to post the item as soon as their payment has cleared, I find this works quite well, as it encourages the buyer rather than hassle them.

Seeds for Africa

Basically if the buyer hasnt completed the purchase within 48 hours (as per your terms) you are free to cancel the order (notify the buyer that you are doing this, and ask them not to pay, and block them so they cannot access the banking details). You can then relist the item. Personally I sell quite a bit on bob, and whilst my terms are 48hrs, very few buyers actually complete payment within that period. I snc after 7 days (and three notifications to the buyer).

Thanks

wayjen

Is it not strange that seasoned buyers fail to complete checkout or contact you for banking details and some new buyers complete the whole transaction within minutes. I wonder sometimes at the mindset of these people.

I do think that some people wait for confirmation emails from sellers and because they do not get anything they wait and wait BUT how many of us really check our SPAM box to see if any emails have ended up there.

voldermort

as kyle said even though you may stipulate 48 hours in your ad you cannot file an snc before 7 days are up. remember too that at this time of the month a lot of people who have bid will probably pay by monday/tuesday...payday :smile: i would send a reminder email this evening & wait until tuesday or so (remember if paying from another bank funds can take 24 hours to show)

amcintyre

I'll send another reminder tonight.

Edited by amcintyre