Sign in to follow this  
xina

Possible 2000 R5 strike error

xina

First of I would like to say Hi, my name is Hendrik and I am a long time lurker on the forum and first time poster:rolleyes:.

This is not the kind of first post I would like to make but a friend gave me these coins to find out if they have any real value. I have advised him several times that he should try and list them on BOB to see what he can get for them but the whole BOB concept is foreign to him.

Anyway the bottom two R5 coins have identical marking on their outer edges that we have concluded are from a striking error(maybe issues with the die). If the coins are placed one over the other so that they lign up properly we found that the markings on the rims are identical (like bullet rifling marks).

My friend believes that these two coins are worth quite a lot of money, I have run out of polite excuses to avoid the topic of these coins so I am here pleading for help. Based on my limited experience I figured that he would not more that R500 for these coins on BOB but I have seen some coins being sold for ridiculous prices so I figured it is worth a try.

Any advice on these coins would be appreciated.

xina

Okey...I found a 2003 R5 in my change the other day which supports my idea that the coins are plain production errors, but after finding some coins that are pressed off centre my 0.5mm and with irregular rims I can conclude that these coins aren't really that unique they just fall with in the limits of error of the production run. I would assume that if the die was faulty that all the coins in the bin would be scraped along with the die if they did not match up to the allowed tolerances in the production run.

I did suggest to my friend that if he really feels the coins are worth a lot of money that he should get them graded as unique error coins then maybe someone would buy them for what he wants for them.

Pierre_Henri

What does a chocolate cost nowadays?

Hi Hendrik

Your friend will probably give you a moerse klap if you tell him the truth - but he should rather take those two or three Mandela R5 coins and buy his girlfriend a chocolate with it - then at least there is a slight possibility that he could get some return on his money.

So either you or his girlfriend will have a headache afterwards, but hell, it's worth a try ...

Pierre

Cold Sea

More ways to spend your R5

Your friend could also buy his girlfriend some of those chocolate coins. Especially if her name is Penny. :bigsmile:

Edited by Cold Sea

xina

Thanks guys, this is the only forum I know off where I could ask this question although I already knew the answer.

From an engineering point of view I have to agree with my friend that these coins and unique because we have 2 coins that have exactly the same impressions on them so one can go on to debate as to what caused these marks, maybe something in the manufacturing process or what ever.

Anyway thanks again I am sure that everyone that read this post probably thought "yay another oke with a R5":bigsmile: