Sign in to follow this  
Kit W

Please help me ID this coin (Crown size)

Kit W

Hi fellow bobbers

I would appreciate it if the coin in the two scans could be identified. It is a Union crown size and I suspect it could be of Egyptian or Turkish origin. I have no further information regarding this coin

Kind regards

Kit

Pierre_Henri

At first glance the crown sized Turkish 20-Piastres and the Egyptian 20-Qirsh looks very similar and for the untrained eye could be very confusing telling which one is which.

But the Turkish 20- Piastres is a slightly lighter coins weighing 24 grams versus the 20 Qirsh’s 28 grams. The most obvious difference is the wavy half-moon design on the outer part on the obverse of the Turkish coin vs. the seven prominent stars on the Egyptian coin.

Your coin is the Egyptian 20 Qirsh – either the Abdul Hamid II issue (circa up to 1909) or the Muhammed V issue (1909 -1914). Neither issue have any real scarce dates.

With the outbreak of the First World War and subsequent British Occupation in 1914, the coin changed to the crown sized 20-Piastres (same denomination name as the Turkish crown), but like I have said, your coin pre-dates the British Occupation period.

Regards

Pierre

Kit W
At first glance the crown sized Turkish 20-Piastres and the Egyptian 20-Qirsh looks very similar and for the untrained eye could be very confusing telling which one is which.

But the Turkish 20- Piastres is a slightly lighter coins weighing 24 grams versus the 20 Qirsh’s 28 grams. The most obvious difference is the wavy half-moon design on the outer part on the obverse of the Turkish coin vs. the seven prominent stars on the Egyptian coin.

Your coin is the Egyptian 20 Qirsh – either the Abdul Hamid II issue (circa up to 1909) or the Muhammed V issue (1909 -1914). Neither issue have any real scarce dates.

With the outbreak of the First World War and subsequent British Occupation in 1914, the coin changed to the crown sized 20-Piastres (same denomination name as the Turkish crown), but like I have said, your coin pre-dates the British Occupation period.

Regards

Pierre

Thanks for this information Pierre - I can at least now do a little more homework before I list the coin :smile1:

Best regards

Kit

Pierre_Henri

No problem - hope you do well ...

Pierre

Kit W
No problem - hope you do well ...

Pierre

Pierre

I have sent you a PM concerning this coin - I am sure that you will be able to confirm my "research"

Regards

Kit

Pierre_Henri

How do I check for a private message - I am not very clued up to these things?

Pierre

lilythepink

You should receive a notification from BoB that you have a PM.

You then go to your forum log in page and click on "settings" which is on the top righthand side of your page.

You will then get a page reflecting your "in box" on the lefthand side. Click on that and voila - you can read Kit's message.

Kit W
You should receive a notification from BoB that you have a PM.

You then go to your forum log in page and click on "settings" which is on the top righthand side of your page.

You will then get a page reflecting your "in box" on the lefthand side. Click on that and voila - you can read Kit's message.

Thanks lilythepink - I am sure that Pierre will be able to read my PM now

Kit W