Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Returned Parcels

Seeds for Africa

I have a two fold question.

1) I made a sale. The item was shipped promptly and buyer advised of tracking etc. I received the parcel back today as RTS. The buyer seems to think I am to blame as I never told her the post office only hold a parcel for 1 month before sending it back. I am confused here surely its common knowledge that this happens. Who doesnt collect something they have bought within 30 days. I will now be adding into my order confirmation email that parcels should be collected within 30 days but is this really necessary? Is it really my problem that the buyer now has to pay double postage to get their parcel, and should I quantify this as well in my listings that parcels returned attract a double postage charge? Other sellers experiences and guidance would be appreciated.

2) My second question can maybe be answered by Bob or someone who has looked into consumer rights / CPA. How long is one legally obliged to hold onto a returned parcel? My feeling is 30 days is ample time. I am inclined to donate all unclaimed parcels to charity as destroying them would be a complete waste. If I donate the said parcels to charity after 30 days (I will obtain a receipt from a registered charity), what can the comeback be if any.

Thanks would appreciate some comments!

babyface2

you should not be blamed by the buyer gamu. surely if you bought something, and paid for the item and have not received it lets say 10 days later, then you should enquire from the seller what is going on. why do we bother sending tracking numbers if the buyers do not read your email. if i were you i would rather just refund the money less expenses and resell the item, plus block an ignorant buyer like this. us as sellers do not have the time to sit and worry about buyers that clearly has no idea what is going on.

Seeds for Africa
you should not be blamed by the buyer gamu. surely if you bought something, and paid for the item and have not received it lets say 10 days later, then you should enquire from the seller what is going on. why do we bother sending tracking numbers if the buyers do not read your email. if i were you i would rather just refund the money less expenses and resell the item, plus block an ignorant buyer like this. us as sellers do not have the time to sit and worry about buyers that clearly has no idea what is going on.

Thanks for your response. Its just the irritation factor that gets to me. I mean who the heck buys something and just doesnt collect it? Bizarre? Her response was I didnt know I had to collect it within 1 month????????????????

SProducts

You are not to blame, the buyer should pay you to resend the parcel again. Send them an email and inform them that if you they dont pay the fees to resend the parcel you will give it away to charity or resell it. If they dont respond,I doubt you could be in the wrong side of law.

I cant comment on the CPA though, better ensure you are safe.

MiemsJewels

a Strange thing happened last year. a Guy bought a diamond simmulant from me. He awaits the parcel urgent, and even called me to ask for the track & trace number. I gave it to him again and confirmed that the parcel was already at the post office. On that moment he was on his way to the post office. One month later the parcel came back to me. Unclaimed. I tried to e-mail him, phone him. Nothing. He did not reply on his e-mails. Neither returned my phone calls. Now I wonder, Is this guy still alive? What could have happened to him. No transaction on his on Bidorbuy account since that date last year!!????

inner0circle (3)

80.00% positive ratings

Located in Johannesburg

Member since 15 Jun 2010

Edited by MiemsJewels

Cali Craft and Gems

Over the years I've had a handful of parcels returned to me. I notify the buyer that the parcel has been returned and what the procedure is to get the parcel sent off to him / her again (additional postage, etc). Sometimes the buyer responds to the emails, most times not, but the strangest thing is that not one buyer in this time has ever paid for the postage to get their parcel off to them again - not one ever in my past 4+ years of trading! (and some parcels are not low value items either - makes me feel guilty!)

I send reminders out about once a month, and if no response after a year, then I open the parcel and relist the item. I feel that if a person has not responded within 12 months, chances are that they are not going to pay for the postage again!

In two instances though I've had parcels returned due to the address provided being insufficient or invalid (wrong suburb, etc) and here too no response.

Seeds for Africa

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Bob / Cuan - Any idea what the legal status is of getting rid of a parcel after notifying the buyer that it will be destroyed / given to charity after 30 days of it being returned to me as sender?

Guest Guest
Over the years I've had a handful of parcels returned to me.... - not one ever in my past 4+ years of trading!

I send reminders out about once a month, and if no response after a year, then I open the parcel and relist the item...In two instances though I've had parcels returned due to the address provided being insufficient or invalid (wrong suburb, etc) and here too no response....

Hi!

To Miems, you and the other sellers - I can only say...; That, to me is truly freakish! Imagine an empty merry-go-round... Slowly swinging into the shadows of a pale, spooky, moon-lit, ice-cold, winter night... Only faint whispers can be heard... All tickets are sold... Yet... No one is breathing...

Da-a-ammmnn... BOB, you give me cold, cold shivers tonight...!

MiemsJewels
Hi!

To Miems, you and the other sellers - I can only say...; That, to me is truly freakish! Imagine an empty merry-go-round... Slowly swinging into the shadows of a pale, spooky, moon-lit, ice-cold, winter night... Only faint whispers can be heard... All tickets are sold... Yet... No one is breathing...

Da-a-ammmnn... BOB, you give me cold, cold shivers tonight...!

Edmund, If the guy is dead, then I will have a guilty consience forever and a day. The last time I heard of him was when he called me for the Track & trace number. Phoning while driving. It gives me cold shivers too. :sick:

Vegar

The new consumer act gives the buyer recourse for 3 months from date of sale.

I had a person scream at me "WHERE IS MY EFFING PACKAGE" 6 (!!!) months after it was shipped. Luckily I send ALL my packages insured and I found the tracking number. It was still sitting unclaimed at their post office!

THE POST OFFICE WILL RE-SEND A RETURNED INSURED PACKAGE FREE OF CHARGE !!!

Yes! Claiming postage on a returned package - when you do not take possession of it and it is re-sent to the same address - is fraudulent. According to the consumer act the seller is responsible for delivering goods when shipping has been paid.

mellowred
According to the consumer act the seller is responsible for delivering goods when shipping has been paid.

If the buyer/seller agreement is to deliver it via a postal service, to a post box or c/o a post office surely the seller's responsibility ends as soon as that parcel has arrived at the agreed destination. It seems illogical to expect the seller to force the buyer to physically go and collect the parcel.

lilythepink
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Bob / Cuan - Any idea what the legal status is of getting rid of a parcel after notifying the buyer that it will be destroyed / given to charity after 30 days of it being returned to me as sender?

I normally keep parcels for at least 6 months, just in case. And they do not get sent unless the buyer pays additional postage.

I have found it helpful to include the following message to buyers when giving them their tracking number:

"If your parcel has not reached you within 5 to 7 working days, please take the tracking number in to your local Post Office and lodge a written enquiry as to its whereabouts. (The PO has a special form you need to complete in this regard.)"

Since then I believe all my parcels have been delivered, safely to my buyers.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Yes! Claiming postage on a returned package - when you do not take possession of it and it is re-sent to the same address - is fraudulent.

I don't agree with you at all on this.

How can it be fraudulent for the buyer to pay postage again if they did not collect it at all in the first place and the seller is expected to pay postage a second time? Some post offices also refuse to return the parcel to the seller if the seller does not pay again to get that parcel back.

In other words, the seller pays to send the parcel, the parcel is returned, the seller pays to receive the parcel from the post office, and the seller pays for postage again to the buyer. 3 X postage.

It is hardly fraudulent expecting the buyer to pay those postage charges as it was their negligence in not fetching the parcel in the first place.

If there are no extra postage charges and the seller expects the buyer to pay extra postage charges, then, yes, that is fraudulent.

Vegar

In 4 years it has only happened 3 times that a parcel I sent was not collected - so it is quite a rare problem.

The post office will send 2 to 3 notifications to the recipient and indeed - it is the buyer's responsibility to collect! Also in their best interest ...

However, some people are shopping addicts - they buy so much that they can't keep track! (e.g. get a notification and believe they have collected already)

I agree with Lily that sending a note with the tracking number does help to cover one's posterior ... (:laugh: no pun intended ... :blink1:)

lilythepink
I agree with Lily that sending a note with the tracking number does help to cover one's posterior ... (:laugh: no pun intended ... :blink1:)

Some people have big posteriors though, vegar! :unsure:

Vinyl Lady Decals

Yes, I agree there, I have started using that great site that Sam told us about that sends out emails to the person as the parcel moves through the postal system.

I subscribe the buyer to the emails and add this as part of the tracking email:

Your tracking number is ...........

Please accept the emails from the track and trace website which will enable you to know where your parcel is as it moves through the system.

The website is Parcel Track & Trace, Tracking Number for Post Office & Couriers

Once it arrives at the destination post office, please take the tracking number to the post office and request your parcel.

This has helped alot and since I started using it, I haven't had any returned parcels.

mellowred

Hi Tananka,

I just had a look at the site and it is amazing. Looks well worth using - and inputting recipients e-mail so that they know exactly when to collect.

One question though, have you ended up with spam mail from this? I'm just cautious (paranoid :unsure:) because it is free.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi mellowred

Strangely enough, no spam which is a huge advantage.

I love the site, its really useful and I'm sure the buyers love it too.

When I first tested it, I subscribed for a few parcels and subscribed my buyers too, now I only subscribe the buyers as the site sends an email every time the parcel is scanned and so I would be getting too many emails.

mellowred
Hi mellowred

Strangely enough, no spam which is a huge advantage.

I love the site, its really useful and I'm sure the buyers love it too.

When I first tested it, I subscribed for a few parcels and subscribed my buyers too, now I only subscribe the buyers as the site sends an email every time the parcel is scanned and so I would be getting too many emails.

That is good news. And subscribing the buyers only is a good move if you sell a lot. In my case an e-mail a month will do no harm ... LOL.