Sign in to follow this  
mellowred

Computer fundis - help please - UPS wanted or something else

mellowred

My computer keeps going into automatic restart. A blue block "No Signal" appears and then system restarts.

This happens mostly when playing a downloaded game but sometimes just randomly.

I've checked various computer geek sites and some mention a power problem. We do have iffy power here in Napier, would a UPS help or is something else shot?

I have a Mercer - Pentium 4 - is my comp just old?

Virgotec

Hi Mellowred

Sounds like a power supply problem. The blue block with "No Signal" is for your monitor.

I would replace the power supply since they are relatively cheap.

I have noticed quite a few customer's PC's with this problem where I have replaced the power supply, and the problem is solved.

Due to the power surges and power outages that we have been having of late, it seems that a lot of power supply units are affected.

If this does solve your problem, then maybe look into getting a small UPS (about 600w) which will keep your PC on for about 15 mins even during the power surges and outages. This will give you enough time to power down your PC correctly and thereby preventing the strain on the PSU.

Hope this sorts out your problem.

mellowred

Hi Virgotec

Thanks for the reply. Ok so what is "the power supply"? :embarrest: Is that the cable? I believe I do need a UPS for the flickering power here in Napier. Do you sell these? If so can you find a cheapie for me and list it?

Thanks

Mandy

Virgotec

Hi Mandy

See PM.

Regards

jinxster78

Just a word of advise, although Virgotec has a high percentage of being spot on, it isn't the only possible reason for blue screen / reboot.

I didn't see the pm bit, but it sounds like you should take your computer to a computer shop, since if it is the psu, it is sometimes not so easy to install it... age of motherboard being important and types of connectors to it.

What you can do from a software point of view is disable the automatic reboot then get the blue screen from the computer and google the stop error. It would probably give exacts or if not, then my suggestion is same as virgotec, but don't attempt this on your own unless you comfortable opening a PC up.

mellowred

Hi Virgotec, thanks for PM. In any event - whatever the problem is with the PC - I will need a UPS for the flickering power. Will respond to your PM now.

Hi Jinxter, I have tried disabling the auto reboot but it doesn't make any difference. I can't get the PC to show me the error message at all. From the geek sites it could also be a problem with overheating - too many possibilities and I'm not a hardware fundi at all.

I am comfortable opening the PC ... there are a lot of very colourful and interesting little bits and pieces in there ... lol.

jinxster78

Hehe, what version of windows do you have installed? (must be off now so I might only respond late tonight -> rugby -> GO BULLS!) or tomorrow, but virgotec can help he is just a bit remote and using experience to solve the problem quickest.

Seems like you have an affinity to try yourself so, long ways to get there:

Win 7: Start >> Control Panel >> System. On the left Advanced system settings. On the tab click Startup and recovery. Untick the "Automatically restart"

WinXP: Start >> Control Panel >> Performance and maintenance (if you have a classic view skip this) >> System. On the tab click Startup and recovery. Untick the "Automatically restart"

Then wait for the error and you will get a BSOD which has stop 0x0000007c, etc.. write all that stuff down then google / post here.

Overheating doesn't usually reboot a PC, it freezes a pc so you would see everything just stop with no response to any of your requests. Unless your overheating is extreme like, lightning and er then you have a liquid PC.... which could hint at a possible problem... hehe

The UPS may solve future problems, but it wont fix anything if your PSU has already been damaged. So before spending money on a UPS, spend it on a PSU, if your PSU is fine, then spend it on a UPS. In any event, save up for a UPS since that is very good advise.

mellowred

The automatic restart is disabled (unticked) that's what I don't understand. In my simple terms it should NOT restart, but it still does. These damned computers never do the logical thing. :toung:

If I can speed read well enough there is no error number when the blue bit pops up, but will take a good look next time and let you know. I am going to see if I can find the error log file - perhaps there is something recorded there(?)

Virgotec

Hi Mandy

Is this the blue block that comes up, there is an exclamation mark in the white circle inside the white block?

IMG_6864..jpg.add94e176e5ff079809c60d77dd59d05.jpg

jinxster78

Seems like your PSU is not delivering enough.

Basically buy another PSU,, buuuut maybe a bigger one or not...

Possibility 1,

Have you added any devices internally or externally of recent? What sometimes happens is you have a 300W PSU then you start getting to a 320W requirement. Most of the time not all devices need the power, but if they do ask for it, then your APM system can reboot the system via the BIOS, ie, Windows doesn't get an option to restart or log any errors. In this case, you may be lucky your PSU is fine, but you need a more powerful one.

Possibility 2.

You haven't added any new devices, but based on constant high amperage requirements, your PSU has suffered transformer damages to its coil which affects how much power (W) it can give out. Buy new PSU, same size could be suffice.

Rule of thumb, buy new 450W PSU for most standard computers and you would be fine.

mellowred
Hi Mandy

Is this the blue block that comes up, there is an exclamation mark in the white circle inside the white block?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1790[/ATTACH]

Hi Beryl

Similar to that but I have not noticed a white circle or an exclamation mark. It pops up very briefly. It just says "No Signal". I'm on XP Home, I guess that could make the difference.

If I can find the size of my PSU would you advise buying a bigger one as suggested by Jinxster?

Edited by mellowred

mellowred
Possibility 1,

Have you added any devices internally or externally of recent? What sometimes happens is you have a 300W PSU then you start getting to a 320W requirement. Most of the time not all devices need the power, but if they do ask for it, then your APM system can reboot the system via the BIOS, ie, Windows doesn't get an option to restart or log any errors. In this case, you may be lucky your PSU is fine, but you need a more powerful one.

I have a Vantec 150GB external hard drive where most of my data is stored. This has it's own power plug tho (it plugs into the wall socket supply on it's own). Not sure if this will still affect the PSU (?)

Possibility 2.

You haven't added any new devices, but based on constant high amperage requirements, your PSU has suffered transformer damages to its coil which affects how much power (W) it can give out. Buy new PSU, same size could be suffice.

Rule of thumb, buy new 450W PSU for most standard computers and you would be fine.

This seems the more likely problem/solution. The PC now does it's little restart action even when I am not here. There may be an excel file open or something, but nothing actively on the go. I get back to the PC to find it has restarted while I was away.

Where do I check the size of my PSU?

jinxster78

If you open the computer up, you should see a grey box screwed into the side where the power cable plugs in.

There will be a sticker on it that indicates the W. Will check for some peeps PSUs on BoB later today.

jinxster78

This dude has a long reference blog: PSU 101: A Guide and Q&A for PSU « **Skateboxx Blogroll**

Basically you got a few things to check out for when buying.

1. Do you need a 24pin connector? New PSUs come with a 20+4pin connector, but old PSUs are only 20pin meaning on BoB you may find a second hand one that doesn't meet your requirement.

2. Do you need a P4 connector? Some boards use it some boards dont, you do get a plug thay goes into a molex connector and converts it, but unless you got spares, not having it is a bit of a not gonna work.. unless you cut the plug open and make your own home made one.

3. Do you need any PCI-E connectors, 8+6 or 6+6, unless you have a power munga graphics card, you don't and also you generally get one with your graphics card and then I would not be suggesting 450W but 600W and up...

Look on your PSU you may find connectors that unplug off other wires, take them off they may be handy.

Recommend to unplug your power cable when working on your PSU, some systems can switch on for various reasons.

mellowred
This dude has a long reference blog: PSU 101: A Guide and Q&A for PSU « **Skateboxx Blogroll**

Basically you got a few things to check out for when buying.

1. Do you need a 24pin connector? New PSUs come with a 20+4pin connector, but old PSUs are only 20pin meaning on BoB you may find a second hand one that doesn't meet your requirement.

2. Do you need a P4 connector? Some boards use it some boards dont, you do get a plug thay goes into a molex connector and converts it, but unless you got spares, not having it is a bit of a not gonna work.. unless you cut the plug open and make your own home made one.

3. Do you need any PCI-E connectors, 8+6 or 6+6, unless you have a power munga graphics card, you don't and also you generally get one with your graphics card and then I would not be suggesting 450W but 600W and up...

Look on your PSU you may find connectors that unplug off other wires, take them off they may be handy.

Recommend to unplug your power cable when working on your PSU, some systems can switch on for various reasons.

Hi Jinxster

Now that is all in a foreign language to me. I've opened the box - see lots of wires undid a few screws and sat and thought :wtf:.

One thing I did do was unplug the whole box - no afternoon shocks needed. One thing I know now is that the system will not overheat - the whole side is still open. Hennie is having a fit :biggrin:.

Will see what Virgotec can do a few photos.

Thanks for all your help ... will let you know if I manage to stay on line :smile1:.