Sign in to follow this  
Carel_Electronics

Product Piracy... Illegal???

Carel_Electronics    10
Carel_Electronics

Hi everyone. I recently bought a bunch of cellphone spares for my Nokia 6210 Navigator and the seller made me a listing on Bid or Buy for R350. I clearly asked for NOKIA spares and he made me a listing for Housing, an LCD and a Speaker. When I received the parcel I found that the items was not Nokia like I asked for in the first place. It was fakes, chinese pirates - all of it. The housing was so badly copycatted that the keypads didn't fit and I saw the kepad had major defects. The LCD was a copycat of a Nokia 6210 Navigator's. The speaker I received wasn't even meant for this phone. Now the seller states that the parts are Original Nokia and I know it's fakes. As far as I know, the police have recently caught a lot of people doing trading with piratted items and as far as I know - it's not just a RippOff... It's actually illegal, but I'm not sure if I'm correct. The seller was "Mobielectro" and I am very disappointed as I have wasted R350. The LCD isn't working at all, nor is it a Nokia. The speaker is not for this phone at all - I can't use it. The housing is also fake and has such a bad defect, that I can't use the keypads at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do? The guy said I should return the LCD and the speaker, but I know when I receive a new one back, then he'll be lying to me again because it's NOT Original NOKIA parts, even though he says it is. I don't know what to do. Any adivse?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

You need to send an email to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and explain the entire situation to them. Give them all information, i.e. Auction Number, copies of your emails/correspondence with the seller, etc. etc. They will sort it out for you.

Piracy is not kosher on BoB and I hope it never will be. You have a right to be refunded in full, including postage and bank charges, if you were conned.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

As I understand it, generics may be sold but must be clearly advertised as generics.

Thanks

Grant

Carel_Electronics    10
Carel_Electronics

Yes, as far as I understand Generics are not illegal. It's like those E72 Pro cellphones that look like the Nokia E72, but the name NOKIA is never mentioned on it, and it doesn't contain anything that belongs to Nokia like the OS it's running, for example Symbian. Those E72 Pro chinese phones are clearly advertised as not nokia and they have their own firmware and their own IMEI number. I'm only using this as an example, my problem is related to the Nokia 6210 Navigator.

The problem is that at the back of the fake LCD there's a serial no that is identical in format to those manufactured by Nokia. I think this LCD have been copied from a working 6210 Navigators's LCD, with the serial no. A fake LCD isn't black if you hold it in daylight, it turns out to look purple or violet. The original LCD is black, totally black when held in daylight. I would think it's also illegal to clone a phone so completely that it even has the same IMEI number... Anyways, this guy is going to rip me off again, he keeps on lying. These parts are fakes, and he refuses to admit it. Believe me, we all know that chinese pirates all contain massive defects. Maybe I should contact Nokia themselves and ask them to check in their database whether they can find this LCD and then give them the serial no. It feels very bad to buy gold when you know you're going to get a rock.....