Sign in to follow this  
Brasser

Road transport rates- Cape to Gauteng

Brasser

Hi, anyone have any good advice about which cost effective transport operation to use for moving large packages [ over 40kg] between western cape metropoles and jhb. Courier rates and the well known transport companies charge I believe excessive rates for transportation :sad2:

qball

Try Fastway Couriers...

alloway65

MDS Collivery are very good.

Brasser

Thanks to aloway and qball.shall give them a try.Much appreciated

Brasser

Thanks to you two advisors but I need to say that the costs quoted are extemely high.I see a gap in the transport sector where one can move realtively small domestic parcels between the provinces. There has to be a way because big stores and supermarkets move their stuff around relatively cost effectively.,Brasser

brands online

Hi Brasser, would the parcels be fixed dimensions and would you need them collected and dropped to door or depot to depot Cape Town to JHB?

Brasser

Hi Brands, the parcels are fixed dimension and the service would be depot -depot.George to Jhb.Thanks for your input and look forward to your reply

brands online
Hi Brands, the parcels are fixed dimension and the service would be depot -depot.George to Jhb.Thanks for your input and look forward to your reply

Hi Brasser, I might have been able to assist, but only Cape Town to JHB and vice-versa. The company does unfortunately not do George.

Brasser

That's a start anyway.I might take up the opportunity and run a return service from George to Beaufort West on the N1 thereby creating a linkup to a service like yours.Where there's a gap there's opportunity..Brasser

donovink

Hi Brasser,

Try Courier, Freight and Transport Solutions - Internet Express - Courier, Freight and Transport Solutions. They are listed on Bob's home page.

I used them to deliver a large aircon from Cape Town to Durban, door to door, and there rates were about 70% of other courier services and providing you know the dimensions and weights, you get instant online quotes. I was quite happy with their overall service too.

Regards

Donovin

Brasser

That's really good of you Donavan.I'll give it a go.Many thanks, BRASSER

Vegar

Out of curiosity why has no one mentioned the railway? Surely would be the cheapest?

Seven Veils Trading

Hi Brasser. I use TimeFreight, and Internet Express. I'm in Sedgefield so use the George hub too. I found that using cheaper services from George can be problematic. Because its so out of the way, smaller companies use bakkie-builder types to do the last leg of the delivery, and that can be disastrous. Stuff that gets here safely from the other side of the world gets damaged in George.

So I'd advise using a company that does a professional job, even if it costs more.

Hope this helps.

lilythepink
Out of curiosity why has no one mentioned the railway? Surely would be the cheapest?

I think one forgets about the Railways because they hardly exist anymore. We used to have a train to and from Grahamstown every single week-day and one could almost set one's clock to it's arrival and departure. Sadly it ceased to use this line several months (or even a year) ago.

Our government would be well advised to get the railways functioning at full steam ahead (no pun intended) as with the costs of road transport (including repairing roads) it is becoming unrealistically expensive!