Sign in to follow this  
johnrowe

Consumer Act Question: Can buyer cancel after buying?

lilythepink

"You do have the discretion to not do business with a purchaser, with the proviso that you do not discriminate against them, this is covered by the act..."

This, I think, answers the question about whether one can delete bids from delinquent and/or low-rated buyers! Am I correct in my assumption, Cuan?

qball

Yes, you may delete their bids as long as they have a history of poor payment or non payment, but deleting bids from non rated bidders would be considered discrimination - as you have no grounds to discriminate against them for past indiscretions, as there aren't any. I meant to say the discrimination against consumers unfairly is covered by the act.

lilythepink

Thanks, Cuan. But no doubt we'll have this point being discussed again down the line ... there are times I really don't envy you your job! :blink1::blink1:

DENEL

Again this morning:

"Hi

May I please retract this bid - sorry to be a nuisance but I have been bidding on several lots and my budget is overstretched. I do hope that as there is still plenty of time to run you will be able to help me out.

Regards

Frank"

As I have it, the purpose of the Act was, in essence, to protect uneducated buyers from unfair business practices/contracts. These buyers are clearly abusing the Act for purposes other than the purpose with which this Act was enacted?"

MsPlod
Again this morning:

"Hi

May I please retract this bid - sorry to be a nuisance but I have been bidding on several lots and my budget is overstretched. I do hope that as there is still plenty of time to run you will be able to help me out.

Regards

Frank"

As I have it, the purpose of the Act was, in essence, to protect uneducated buyers from unfair business practices/contracts. These buyers are clearly abusing the Act for purposes other than the purpose with which this Act was enacted?"

BoB really needs to take time out to educate buyers NOT to overspend - it achieves nothing other than frustration - and extra work for traders and BoB.

What about a little pop-up (a la "do you have a question") which asks a buyer - "Can you afford this?" OR tells a buyer "do you know your bid is binding?" Before they press that final bid button.

mrmouse

[Q"do you know your bid is binding?" Before they press that final bid button.

Unfortunately the bid is not binding , untill the hammer falls and even then it still isnt , no one including the CPA people will take legal action against someone because he didnt pay for a R25, hippo object ,( and buyers know that )selling online is a gamble and will allways be , some people pay some dont .just hope the person doesnt target all your goodies in one day and then disappear .leaving all the relisting to be done . ( I think that will be worse than an occasional non payer.)

MsPlod
Unfortunately the bid is not binding , untill the hammer falls and even then it still isnt , no one including the CPA people will take legal action against someone because he didnt pay for a R25, hippo object ,( and buyers know that )selling online is a gamble and will allways be , some people pay some dont .just hope the person doesnt target all your goodies in one day and then disappear .leaving all the relisting to be done . ( I think that will be worse than an occasional non payer.)

Yup, I know that - you know that - and most/many/some of the forumers know that - but it might make Joe and Josephine Soap think twice before just clicking away on all sorts of "wishlist" goodies.

Actually - I have just had an interesting thing happen to me along these lines. Bid on an item (I bid on the 17th - item scheduled to close on 29th), and was outbid within hours - and that was THAT (or so I thought). The trader - a week and a half I had bid (and late in the evening) deleted the other bidder's bid and then promptly closed the auction (five days early). I no longer needed the item so have had to request that the trader start the SNC process.

Edited by MsPlod
Added the "Actually..... part"

mrmouse
Yup, I know that - you know that - and most/many/some of the forumers know that - but it might make Joe and Josephine Soap think twice before just clicking away on all sorts of "wishlist" goodies.

I do agree its a total waste of time after the supposed sale ,,,, but you have to be carefull , I rated a seller badly after he took my money and never sent the goods , He then sent me a legal letter ,to remove the rating or he will sue me for slander ,, needless to say I removed the rating , and have still never recieved the goods .

MsPlod
I do agree its a total waste of time after the supposed sale ,,,, but you have to be carefull , I rated a seller badly after he took my money and never sent the goods , He then sent me a legal letter ,to remove the rating or he will sue me for slander ,, needless to say I removed the rating , and have still never recieved the goods .

UGH!!! Have you taken this up with BoB? Would LOVE to know the name of the trader. Take you almost any bet that the "legal letter" was fake.

mrmouse
UGH!!! Have you taken this up with BoB? Would LOVE to know the name of the trader. Take you almost any bet that the "legal letter" was fake.

His account was closed after that , i didnt persue it , it was a small amount , and yes his Council was genuine as was his threat .

MsPlod
His account was closed after that , i didnt persue it , it was a small amount , and yes his Council was genuine as was his threat .

Hope he hasn't re-emerged under another name - although it would not surprise me a bit.

mrmouse

I summonsed a seller to small claims court , years ago , only to discover it wasnt him doing the funny things but his son in the U.K .( he had access to the account as well )after a huge fight the sellers paid for the repair of the item I had purchased , ( the repair cost more than the item almost )son was listing goods from the U.K and posting from there , using his fathers details in SA .

DENEL

Is there anything wrong with my response to this question:

Hi

Could you please cancel my Bid, I have found and purchased the perfect clock for me

Thank You

iUPDATED: 11 Jul 19:41

Sorry, but I dont cancel bids, but you are welcome to contact Bid or Buy for a bid cancellation.

admin
Is there anything wrong with my response to this question:

Hi

Could you please cancel my Bid, I have found and purchased the perfect clock for me

Thank You

iUPDATED: 11 Jul 19:41

Sorry, but I dont cancel bids, but you are welcome to contact Bid or Buy for a bid cancellation.

Hi DENEL,

The transaction (and cancellation of the bid) is between the seller and bidder, preferably the seller must delete the bid if requested by the bidder.

The World OnLine

Snc vs cpa

Time to resurrect this thread but from a different angle.

Ok, so my understanding in the 6 month minimum warranty, if the item becomes faulty or is returned within 6 months, we as sellers have no choice but to refund if the buyer insists on this, cool, fair enough... BUT

We only have 60 days to file a SNC, now who is going to carry that cost ?

I ask because I was 1 day too late to file a SNC so before I refund the buyer, do I now deduct the sale fee that I cannot reclaim ?

If so, does that not go against some rule for us as sellers too ?

qball

Unfortunately SNC's must be filed within 60 days (our "refund" policy). We are entitled to charge a fee as a sale actually did take place, but now the transaction between buyer and seller has been cancelled and you need to refund, you may not refund less any fees charged, the buyer must get a full refund. We may at our discretion, credit you for the sale if it's a day over. Send me the details and we will credit you, but you may not penalise the buyer.

miraclebabycaw

Also just a bit further on this, am I entitled to give a buyer a negative if they cancel an auction after the fact? I had an auction this wed and a buyer bid on 2 items (one auction, 2 available). They were outbid on the one item, but won the second item. They have now told me they don't want the other one as they needed 2 of the item. Also is there no way I can file a SNC prior to 7 days as I want to relist the item then tomorrow on the Friday auction?

qball
Also just a bit further on this, am I entitled to give a buyer a negative if they cancel an auction after the fact? I had an auction this wed and a buyer bid on 2 items (one auction, 2 available). They were outbid on the one item, but won the second item. They have now told me they don't want the other one as they needed 2 of the item. Also is there no way I can file a SNC prior to 7 days as I want to relist the item then tomorrow on the Friday auction?

It is up to you.

Unfortunately you may not file a SNC sooner, only after 7 days but you can relist the item without waiting.