Sign in to follow this  
Rare NotesCoins

New R5 coin released today

Rare NotesCoins

Today saw the release of the new Ciculation R5 coin that will be seen in your till points soon> Some may even upear on Bob from Sunday.

Here is a pick of the front of the coin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1742[/ATTACH]

Regards Morne

multi collection

are this released today ???

Rare NotesCoins

Yes they have been released. they have already been send to NGC

Rare NotesCoins

Hopefully this is a better Picture. See that the mint is 90 Years old

morne..jpg.b794e9de31075c046a7dc9f3a6f1beb8.jpg

Regards Morne

PBGold

Think its the Reserve Bank's 90th Anniversary. Nice to see another Mandela coin on the market though.

ZARGold

The KRUGERRAND is SA's most well known coin EVER , it is LEGAL TENDER and has been minted for the past 44 years !

Yet the designer and the Reserve Bank forgot about that and rather put a Natura coin on the obverse !!!!!!!!

NOT IMPRESSED !!

kyle2

I wonder if they are going to make a mockery out of it like they did with the Mandela birthday coins?

PBGold
I wonder if they are going to make a mockery out of it like they did with the Mandela birthday coins?

Too late, its already happened.

Pierre_Henri

Three in a row disaster ......

South Africa started minting our own coinage in 1923 and at least two coins have been minted to commemorate this: Being the R1 of 1974 (50 years of coinage SA coinage) and the 1992 R2 Coin Technology.

One is dumfounded by these issues: Why did they not issue the R1 a year earlier in 1973 to fall exactly on the 50th birthday of the SA mint and why did they not issue the R2 coinage one year later to fall exactly on the 70th birthday of the SA mint?

Now they issue this R5 that AGAIN misses the commemorative date by 2 years (it should have been issued in 2013 for the 90th "birthday" of the SA mint) The fact that the Reserve Bank is 90 years old this year is fine, but we are NOT talking banknotes here - coins are displayed on this two-year-to-early R5 issue.

At least we cannot blame the current government for this three-in-a-row disaster - the previous one did exactly the same with missing the exact commemorative dates twice.

Pierre

Cold Sea

Reserve Bank, SA Mint and SA Bank Note

The South African Reserve Bank has the sole right to make, issue and destroy banknotes and coin in South Africa. The South African Mint Company, a subsidiary of the Bank, mints all the coins on behalf of the Reserve Bank. The South African Bank Note Company, another subsidiary of the Bank, prints all banknotes on behalf of the Bank.
I am not sure what the theme of the R5 coin is, although I seem to make out a resemblance of a banknote on the coin.

The Pretoria Mint operated as a branch of the Royal Mint, London, until 1 July 1941, when it was taken over by the Union Government. The Royal Mint had several other branches in other parts of the world, so the Pretoria Mint should not be confused with the SA Mint. The SA Mint is 70 years old this month.

The South African Reserve Bank opened for business on 30 June 1921, making it the oldest central bank in Africa. The first banknotes were issued to the public by the Bank on 19 April 1922.
Edited by Cold Sea

multi collection

I'm trying to get some from bank, but bank said they don't have it

Rare NotesCoins

They were released to SBV. They are the company who send coins to the banks. The proof version is coming at the end of the month. As far as I know they will be released at the show in Johannesburg by the mint.