Sign in to follow this  
Fashion Police

Copyrights??

Fashion Police

Hi,

Today (again) I have come across another 2 ads/items on Gumtree of sellers selling the same items as me (no problem with that at all)....but....again with MY personal visuals & the exact same descriptions as in my listings on BoB. It looks like that person just copied and pasted my descriptions into their ads. 'Obviously saved my pictures as well...

I always put a lot of personal touch, effort and hard work in (most of) my listings to make it more professional and attractive, and certainly don't appreciate other sellers copying my hard work - especially my personal descriptions!! It's like someone scratching in your underwear drawer??

I don't have a problem with that person selling the same products, but find it offensive that they make use of my personal initiative to promote themselves and their products?

Am I wrong?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who this happens to...

I'm no computer genius, but have noticed on certain websites pictures and wording or articles that can't be copied and/or saved. Can BidorBuy perhaps do this for their sellers' listings?

lilythepink

Hope you reported this to the administrators of the gumtree site. This is theft, pure and simple, and one would hope that gumtree does not allow such practises on its site.

You also have a legal claim for damages if you think it's worth pursuing. You'd have to start by laying a charge of theft at SAPS and take it from there if you want to avoid legal fees. Once the person has been found guilty then you can claim the damages in civil court.

Vinyl Lady Decals
Hi,

I'm no computer genius, but have noticed on certain websites pictures and wording or articles that can't be copied and/or saved. Can BidorBuy perhaps do this for their sellers' listings?

I think this is an excellent idea and will certainly cut out all the theft of intellectual property that is currently going on

JPBon

An alternative which you can do yourself is to watermark your pictures.

kyle2
An alternative which you can do yourself is to watermark your pictures.

This probably the only option available at the moment, but even if this is done, I've seen people still using the watermarked pics of other sellers as their own.

mellowred
...I'm no computer genius, but have noticed on certain websites pictures and wording or articles that can't be copied and/or saved. Can BidorBuy perhaps do this for their sellers' listings?

I've also seen that on sites - if your right click it gives you a notice to the effect that you can't copy.

Would be great if BoB could do this. A lot of the jewellery and bead craft sellers seem to have this problem.

SUPER VALUE PRODUCTS

Are you allowed to copy another persons auction and list it as your own word for word?

Not1CentMore

Free site where you can add watermarks to your pictures: Free Watermark. Add Custom Watermark. Protect Your Photos and Images - PicMarkr. You can 'play' around with it to see where you prefer the watermark and chose between text and tile as well as color of watermark (white / black) and placement (upper / lower left or right or center). As they say here, "Ain't nothin' fancy", but since I am 'dumber than a box of rocks' when it comes to computer 'fluff', this works for me.

(playing around with) Peacock Rain Chime up for auction mid-July:

image_1d..jpg.d904077d97a3e3594e28b1b815e97d81.jpg

Hope this can be of help to sellers.

Ruthie

image_1..jpg.200c412fc589d7b0813e162f8a62ae14.jpg

image_1a..jpg.0779873f996571eded8bf2574fa9af8d.jpg

Fashion Police

Thanks Ruthie, that's a great help! :o)

BeadsandBaubles

I've been seeing some of my pics pop up on google and yahoo searches quite a bit lately. Personally I have no problem with anyone using them, but that's just me, and I've been adding them to Creative Commons which allows accreditation to your name (and email) by the few honest ones out there that will add it and possibly direct traffic in my direction.

I know for a fact that I could never afford a lawsuit against say someone in UK or Timbuctoo or wherever they are showing up on other websites. The big professional traders use their own pictures and are not likely to steal others, so it's the smaller ones that are stealing - what would be the point - they can only be sued for what they could afford? or just a slap on the hand.

A thief will steal, nothing I can do about it, but at least the honest ones who want to can make use of my pics. I don't mind sharing - makes me think I might be getting something right, lol.

Last year I lost a hard drive of thousands of stock pics, and TG bidorbuy did not implement the "no-copy" goody - it took me a week and more but at least I could recover most of them by copying and pasting my own pics from way back when I first started. So I cannot see that there is really any benefit to the "no-copy. Something like this could happen to anyone, anytime - at least we have our pics backed up online as well. Also easy for anyone to copy without being online at all - there are programs that can take screenshots of an offline page, and edited with a good pic editor

Edited by BeadsandBaubles
Editted

Lukeness

Anyone who really wants your images can easily get around the no right-click feature by simply doing a print screen and cropping the image out so it's not really worth the additional coding.

DynamicDecor

With photoshop anything is possible.. If I where you I'd contact the seller on Gum & tell them... "do you know that you are illegally using my photographs & descriptions etc... and that I can in fact take further action" etc. Just give them a bit of a fright... "You've been warned"...