Sign in to follow this  
Klapperkorrel

customs fees query

Klapperkorrel

Hi- I hope I am posting this in the correct category... I am really looking into purchasing wholesale items from online wholesalers in China/Hong Kong and the reselling these items on bidorbuy. I am VERY new to this and really need assistance... is there anyone who would be willing to mentor me?

My first question is: When I purchase an item from a wholesale website how do I work out whether or not I will need to pay customs fees on the items and how much it would be?

I am specifically looking into importing pajamas if that info helps at all .

I would appreciate any feedback.

JPBon

as far as I know the customs duty on clothing is 40%

Lukeness

Crikey!

MiemsJewels
Crikey!

Ask the sellers not to mis-declare the items. I had to pay R3700 on penalty etc today for items that cost me R3500. That doubles the cost of the items.

Klapperkorrel

oh goodness... this is scary stuff.. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

SProducts
Ask the sellers not to mis-declare the items. I had to pay R3700 on penalty etc today for items that cost me R3500. That doubles the cost of the items.

Thats too much, the worse part being when they dont sell well on auctions. I bought a Watch cellphone and had problems, I sent it back to teh supplier and when they returned it they declared at a low value. The customs stopped it and wanted me to pay R1500 although the phone itself costed about R700.00 when buying it. I went up and down, sent them proof this was sent back for repairs and it didnt help. I ended up telling them to take it as it wont make sense paying for it. Luckily the supplier sent me another one and asked me to only pay half for a new one.

If you have items sent by normal airmail post, you wont have much problems and wont pay too much. Problem is with express, the customs fees are very high when using them as they also charge to clear the parcel, worse if the parcel is stopped by customs they are useless and you will have to fight with customs yourself.

lilythepink

A lot of customs duty depends on who in that section is assessing the incoming parcel! One can never predict exactly what is payable unless one has a shipping agent who will "fight" them for you to ensure that you are not charged a cent more than the rules say you must pay.

JPBon
A lot of customs duty depends on who in that section is assessing the incoming parcel! One can never predict exactly what is payable unless one has a shipping agent who will "fight" them for you to ensure that you are not charged a cent more than the rules say you must pay.

Janet you are quite correct. I imported some spare parts for some 20 years which were mostly used on government buildings. Some joker at customs decided to change the customs code on them making them double the price. I let it go as such and then waited as those were destined for the customs building.

I very kindly tripled the price to them. When they queried it I blamed the customs duty. You have never seen them change their own tune so fast.

Klapperkorrel
Janet you are quite correct. I imported some spare parts for some 20 years which were mostly used on government buildings. Some joker at customs decided to change the customs code on them making them double the price. I let it go as such and then waited as those were destined for the customs building.

I very kindly tripled the price to them. When they queried it I blamed the customs duty. You have never seen them change their own tune so fast.

haha - good thinking!

Klapperkorrel

so where can I find a shipping agent? they obviously charge a fee right?

lilythepink

Have a look under your yellow pages for "shipping agents" or "customs and forwarding agents". Most of them seem to live around the sea ports but I think DHL may also do this type of thing for customers. Give them a ring and find out. If they can't help you, ask them if they can recommend a good shipping and forwarding agent. Good luck. (Yes, there are fees payable!)

Klapperkorrel
Have a look under your yellow pages for "shipping agents" or "customs and forwarding agents". Most of them seem to live around the sea ports but I think DHL may also do this type of thing for customers. Give them a ring and find out. If they can't help you, ask them if they can recommend a good shipping and forwarding agent. Good luck. (Yes, there are fees payable!)

great! will do that! Thanks so much for everyone's help--- wish me luck!