Sign in to follow this  
Diva By Design

How can two users have exactly the same bid amount?

Diva By Design

Check this out English - Commemorative Crown Devon Bowl - 100th yr of the Voortrekker Monument for sale in Vanderbijlpark (ID:39574448) the winner's bid is R21 and the loser's bid is R21? How is that even possible? Shouldn't the loser's bid be R11 or the winner's then R31? The guy in the lead had an automatic bid on it, because he had bid R11 earlier during the day yesterday - is this why they both have the same bid in? This just doesn't make sense to me at all ... or looks right for that sake. What's the point then of the auction, if the guy who puts an automatic bid in, gets it at the same price as the one he's trying to beat?

kyle2

The winner probably had a higher limit set and the loser stopped at R21.

Diva By Design

It still doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but I'll take it ...

kyle2

I agree, but I've seen this before, happened to me once.

qball

The bid goes to the person willing to pay the most, after all that is what an auction is all about, so if the user had a higher autobid limit, than the other bidder, the item would go to the person who was willing to pay more.

Royalty2008
Check this out English - Commemorative Crown Devon Bowl - 100th yr of the Voortrekker Monument for sale in Vanderbijlpark (ID:39574448) the winner's bid is R21 and the loser's bid is R21? How is that even possible? Shouldn't the loser's bid be R11 or the winner's then R31? The guy in the lead had an automatic bid on it, because he had bid R11 earlier during the day yesterday - is this why they both have the same bid in? This just doesn't make sense to me at all ... or looks right for that sake. What's the point then of the auction, if the guy who puts an automatic bid in, gets it at the same price as the one he's trying to beat?

It also happened with my listings last night. The same amount.

Libertas Computers

Same here.. Funny this is that I got 2 emails at the exact same time a while after the auction opened stating that I received a bid of R1.

Diva By Design
The bid goes to the person willing to pay the most, after all that is what an auction is all about, so if the user had a higher autobid limit, than the other bidder, the item would go to the person who was willing to pay more.

Thanks, I understand what happened. It's not really the right concept though, the winner's bid should have stood at least at R22 so there would be a clear winner. In real life auctions, when two bidders reach the same amount, one has to go higher to win the auction - the item on auction doesn't go to the guy willing to pay the most.

What happens with the automatic bid thing is that Bidder A placed and automatic bid, when Bidder B bid on the item he is informed he's been outbid, but Bidder A's bid only went up by one increment, so he automatically 'gets' the bid for the same amount. If Bidder B bids again, Bidder A only goes up one increment again, and so on and so forth until Bidder A's automatic bid runs out.