Sign in to follow this  
TS Ron

Overseas shipping rates

lilythepink

Is this not perhaps a courier company charging such excessive shipping fees? Parcels I receive from Canada, USA and the UK are nowhere near those amounts for shipping!

wayjen

Glad this thread is here. Yesterday/last night I was looking at another online auction site and an auction item and shipping from the UK was like R50.00. Is this possible?

voldermort

Last month I bought roughly 10 DVD's from overseas, after asking seller to take them out of the plastic cases (which is where most the weight is anyway) the total postage cost from UK to here was GBP4.50.

wayjen
Last month I bought roughly 10 DVD's from overseas, after asking seller to take them out of the plastic cases (which is where most the weight is anyway) the total postage cost from UK to here was GBP4.50.

That sounds a little, what is that in rands?

voldermort

about R50.00, and remember it is the right price cos it works the same way here......anything that is under 300g (at my PO at least) can be sent as a registered letter & works out roughly at about R45.00 for overseas postage.

this is also the price i charge to send items overseas that are really small, anything bigger than 300g is weighed per 100g @ R21.20 per 100g, the prices of sending from overseas to here do not differ very much either...............but of course the postage rip off artists are worldwide.

wayjen

whoa!!!!!!!!! I like this. Must do some more research.

Wild Olive Art

It's a very interesting exercise to browse items on ebay and have a look at the shipping charges. There is an option on all listings to calculate the shipping charges for each item to the country of your choice. Shipping charges are nowhere near what some of the overseas sellers are charging on this site.

wayjen

I like eBid as the amount is there already for you.

MiemsJewels
It's a very interesting exercise to browse items on ebay and have a look at the shipping charges. There is an option on all listings to calculate the shipping charges for each item to the country of your choice. Shipping charges are nowhere near what some of the overseas sellers are charging on this site.

And sometimes there are free shipping items

luckybird

Id say that it depends on what you are shipping we as an international shipper have some items at R9.95 for shipping and I'm sure you will agree you cant get that from SAPO. For a rule of thumb if you dealing with companies who use Hong Kong Post work on R2 per 10 grams. We generally dont like using post though as there are often problems with late or lost mail. allowing this shipping method opens you as a seller to some angry words from clients if the stuff is lost.

But for ebay we do send using this method to many countries this year we have only had one lost item to the USA. the ratio is much higher to SA for some reason.

Anyway when dealing with your supplier consider the following

what commodity are your transporting, items with batteries, liquids and other restricted items have much higher premiums, we tried to send one battery using DHL and they wanted R1800 which was madness we ended up sending over a 1000 batteries for about 200 by sea.

Weight and size postal services dont usually charge by size but courier firms charge by the greater between size or weight.

post is cheap for small items but becomes expensive on larger items or multiple items, courier us good for up to say 70 kg after that you really want top deal with freight as the actual shipping fees can be half (but you will need to get an agent to clear customs for you) very large or bulky items sea is your only viable option its cheap in comparison to air but you have to be patient the actual shipping time is 16 days but with many days that can be added on for various you have to allow for 2 months. we learned this the hard way. we have had 2 containers arrive at Durban in just 16 days this year but we had another take 48 days