Sign in to follow this  
bob admin

South African diamond sells for $8.8 million

bob admin    1
bob admin

Hi Guys,

I thought you would find this interesting.

A very rare blue diamond, that was mined at Cullinan, 39.19 carat, was sold for $8.8 million (R90 million) :shock:

SA diamant haal R90 miljoen

Oct 31 2008 03:40:56:530PM - (SA)

'n Uiters rare blou diamant van 39,19 karaat wat in Cullinan gemyn is, is vir $8,8 miljoen (sowat R90 miljoen) verkoop.

Die diamantmyn Petra het Vrydag gesê die koper se identiteit is nie bekend nie.

"Blou is een van die raarste kleure vir 'n diamant en hierdie uitsonderlike steen is selfs meer spesiaal omdat dit ongewoon groot is," het Petra se uitvoerende hoof, mnr. John Dippenaar, gesê.

"Diamante van hierdie kaliber is ware versamelaarsitems vanweë hul uitsonderlike skoonheid en skaarsheid." - Sapa

http://www.news24.com/Beeld/Suid-Afrika/0,,3-975_2419224,00.html

Apologies to our English members, the article is in Afrikaans.

Regards

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Here's the english:

A 39.19 carat special blue diamond recently placed on tender in Johannesburg has been sold for US 8.8 million (about R90 million) to an undisclosed buyer, diamond miner Petra said on Friday. The rare stone was discovered at Petra’s Cullinan mine. â€Blue is one of the most rare colours of diamond and this exceptional stone is even more special due to its unusually large size,†said Petra’s chief executive officer Johan Dippenaar.

“Diamonds of this nature are true collector’s items due to their incredible beauty and scarcity.†Sapa

bob admin    1
bob admin

Thanks, much appreciated :wink:

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

That mine just keeps churning out brilliant stones - thanks for the article Andries.

bob admin    1
bob admin

Hi Brian,

Long time no see. So it took a $8.8 million stone to bring you out of your seclusion. :lol:

Cheers

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

Hi Andries...lol..

I have been keeping a low profile on here recently but you are not far off. It is good to take a break on the forum too as you well know. Now that the Rand has improved drastically again I will BE BACK as Arnie says.

Speak soon.

Brian