Sign in to follow this  
Fashion Police

Listing fees and SNC's...

Fashion Police

I'm so annoyed by the non-paying bidders and buyers...

All good and well; just relist the item, file an SNC after 1 week, wait another week after receiving no response from the buyer (if they did not object to the SNC of course just out of spite to extend the process even longer) - Then finally BoB commissions are recovered. I honestly don't mind the wait to retrieve fees, but what gets me is the fact that the specific item was perhaps a paid listing such a Category Featured, Priority or Promotional listing. That's R10 written off...Yes yes, R10 is not much - but it sure adds up after a period of time.

I've had bad luck with one specific item, trying to clear it to make way for new stock. Twice this item was in Category page featured listings, price dropped to (almost) cost, and both occasions purchased from non paying bidders. That's another R20 lost for what? And this is not the only paid listing I'm referring to; I've had a few!

Buyers should be penalised for listing fees if they don't proceed with their purchases (referring to paid listing items only) and the seller should be refunded in full.

I honestly don't feel like placing my items in special listings anymore. But then again, this could result in less sales on my side?

qball

Thank you for your post. Whilst it is definitely regrettable and an inconvenience when buyers don't pay, we will not be instituting a policy to refund listing fees.

Enhanced Listing fees are entirely optional. This is an advertising fee that is utilised to get your listing better exposure and prominence in ranking and display results. It is charged irrespective of whether your item was open for 1 hour or 30 days. Your listing is promoted above other sellers who do not utilise this option, thus taking up valuable "advertising real estate" and space on the site, making your products more visible to prospective buyers. As such, your item gets the additional exposure, it does guarantee that someone will buy your item. I will use the Newspaper Classifieds as an example. If you want your advert to be bigger, bolder, more prominent, you pay for this. Even if your advert does not attract any buyers, it still took up more space on the page, you can't go back to the Newspaper and ask for your money back as the service was supplied to you. The same principle applies here.

So unfortunately, whilst we regret that this can be a problem sometimes, we won't be refunding these fees. We also will not be encouraging sellers to penalise buyers for the listing fees, as this is now in contravention of the Consumer Protection Act, as is the buyers right to withdraw/cancel a transaction within 5 working days, without harm or prejudice.

Fashion Police

Mmm, you're right...the consumer act, forgot about that - much more involved ;o)

I just get so annoyed with some buyers who from the first moment have no intention on proceeding with the sale, but they still have the nerve to bid or place an order - especially on Buy-now's. I'm also a buyer on BoB (even before I started selling), and will never commit to a purchase if I know I can't carry through with it. It's just common decency.

Anyhoo, thanks so much for the response - much appreciated! :o)

qball

My pleasure. It is irritating, the problem is we don't necessarily know what the buyers intention is at the time, this only becomes apparent after they have purchased the item... :disgusted:

Lukeness

Doesn't the cooling off period apply to non-auction purchases only?

qball
Doesn't the cooling off period apply to non-auction purchases only?

Sorry, yes, that would be our understanding of it. This will apply mainly to Buy Nows.