Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

It is a shame that Art sell at such a low price on BOB

JohnBenn

I am new to BOB,and thus far;I've seen excellent pieces of Art selling at the price of the canvas.(I've seen stamps selling for more.)

Some of my paintings take up to three months to complete,so I really can't sell them at R100;but I need to clear out my studio.

And I don't have time to sell them anywhere else.

Any other Artists feel the same way about the current selling prices?

Edited by JohnBenn

lilythepink

The problem with buying art on the internet is that one cannot examine the painting beforehand to ensure it is indeed authentic. This is my opinion purely as a buyer of art. There are many threads on this forum containing questions about the authenticity of Father Claerhout artworks and perhaps they apply to other paintings as well? Would be interesting to see how other forumers feel about buying artworks without having the opportunity to examine them first.

Seeds for Africa

In my opinion, this is now covered by the CPA. Apart from criminal charges for selling fakes, if something is found to be non authentic it must be refunded as it doesnt meet the purpose that it was sold for. As for the Claerhouts - enough said. Too may questions remain unanswered.

Thanks

Grant

qball

Please stick to the topic, the issue at hand is not Claerhout paintings...

Thanks

TS Ron

I agreed saw some lovely art pieces a little weary to buy as you do not know how authentic it is? I would go to an art gallery where I can ask questions. I do not know maybe one day I shall take the plunge and buy.

lilythepink
In my opinion, this is now covered by the CPA. Apart from criminal charges for selling fakes, if something is found to be non authentic it must be refunded as it doesnt meet the purpose that it was sold for.

That may be true but imagine all the hassle of reporting a fake to the CPA, all the time involved and, possibly, also expense before one's problem is solved to one's satisfaction. Would all the effort be worth it for a couple of hundred rand?

Pharos
The problem with buying art on the internet is that one cannot examine the painting beforehand to ensure it is indeed authentic. This is my opinion purely as a buyer of art. There are many threads on this forum containing questions about the authenticity of Father Claerhout artworks and perhaps they apply to other paintings as well? Would be interesting to see how other forumers feel about buying artworks without having the opportunity to examine them first.

Hi Lilly - it seems this topic ie. the Fraudulent Claerhouts has become taboo on this forum - I think Gball is right - it doesn't help to discuss it here, but not to worry it is being discussed elsewhere and will soon be big news. Of course some people are going to have egg on their faces for not heeding the warnings and doing something about it.

Cheers, for now...

mellowred
I am new to BOB,and thus far;I've seen excellent pieces of Art selling at the price of the canvas.(I've seen stamps selling for more.)

Some of my paintings take up to three months to complete,so I really can sell them at a R100;but I need to clear out my studio.

And I don't have time to sell them anywhere else.Oils - Extremely detailed,Oil on canvas, Kaufmann house by Ben Van Rooyen for sale in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:38773802)

Any other Artists feel the same way about the current selling prices?

Hi Ben

Just want to make a quick comment, your B&W paintings are particularly eyecatching.

Unfortunately Lily and Asecon may be right about potential buyers wanting to "see" art before buying.

Wishing you a speedy first sale and good rating on BoB.

Mandy

lilythepink
Hi Lilly - it seems this topic ie. the Fraudulent Claerhouts has become taboo on this forum - I think Gball is right - it doesn't help to discuss it here, but not to worry it is being discussed elsewhere and will soon be big news. Of course some people are going to have egg on their faces for not heeding the warnings and doing something about it.

Cheers, for now...

I wasn't actually discussing the Claerhouts - I merely wanted to refer JohnBenn to those threads so he could see the questions and comments in relation to his question about why art in general was not fetching high prices on BoB! :grin:

qball

Claerhout threads are closed due to the confrontational and controversial nature of the discussion where people start to get personal in their attacks on others with no fact to back up the allegations. We have received documentation from some of the sellers regarding their right to reproduce and reprint such artwork and are reasonably satisfied with what was presented to us - the rest is all hearsay, speculation and opinion. No facts have been presented to substantiate these claims.

By all means discuss these issues but do not hijack a thread that has nothing to do with Claerhout! Next stop will be official infractions on the forum.

Please stick to the topic.

Wild Olive Art

I don't think the authenticity of the product is a problem . There are serious art buyers on this site who will pay good money for paintings from well known artists. If a potential buyer can google an artists name and find valid info on that artist and his/ her work, there is no reason to doubt the authenticity of the painting. This would apply in particular to buying directly from the artist.

The problem arises when an artist who is not well known tries to sell on the site . Even in galleries , unknown artists do not get much for their work until such time as they have created a name for themselves and quite frankly - it's all about marketing and who markets them.

Often in galleries , art sales are pushed in order to make the gallery money. If an artists hits on a popular subject matter that sells well then the gallery will push that artists work. It does not matter that the paintings become mass produced and never really increase in value , the gallery is making money and they will blatantly rip the public off promoting an artist who may well disappear off the scene in the future , in order to cover their overheads. Personally , I think buying art in a gallery is seriously over rated. Most of the art prices are hugely inflated and the majority of contemporary art is NOT the investment gallery staff claim it to be.

There have been many instances in galleries too , where works are not authentic - so unless you understand the criteria when looking for good artwork and actually do your homework on the artist , past prices of work etc , you could be ripped off !

What the public do not often realize is that just because artwork is sold at what appears to be a "cheap"price on a website such as this , does not mean it's not worth much. Galleries and dealerships add an astronomical mark up to the art , often in excess of 100%. If dealerships represent the artist and sell the work on of galleries , very often , once everybody has had their cut , the artist only sees about 10% of the selling price.

There are thousands of artists in SA trying to sell work and in reality only about 10% of them are truly successful. If you have a look at the top sellers list in the art section , you will see that there is plenty of art being sold on this site for enormous prices . R20 - R60 k !!

From a personal point of view - I sell work every week and get very good prices for most of my art. Of course there are times that a painting does not do well , but then there are never any guarantees that the buyers will be online at the time the paintings are listed.

You can always offer a money back guarantee and certificate of authenticity .

lilythepink

Excellent advice, WildOliveArt. You are one of the art sellers nobody would question!

Wild Olive Art
Excellent advice, WildOliveArt. You are one of the art sellers nobody would question!

Thank you Lilythepink , for your kind compliment.

Pharos

I would definitely second that - good summation Wild Olive!