Sign in to follow this  
DynamicDecor

Shipping Charges *Im new*

DynamicDecor

Hi all

I'm new to Bob & am currently setting up my "Shipping charges & Methods"

:hm: What is the "norm" on Bob re min charge? How are you guys structuring your shipping charges?

If I look at what Speed Services are charging for items Medium to Large - :surprised: - How do you guys overcome this? If an item is sold for R 100 and shipping is R40.. thats a bit harsh don't you think? Its almost 50% of selling price..SMH

I want to set it up correctly from the word go...not rip anybody off for transport...but also dont want to do myself in paying in excess for shipping the item.

To give you an idea, the items will be a variety of shapes & sizes - Dynamic Decor being home decorative items & gifts. So it could be as small as glass paper weight and as big as entrance hall/dining room table. I would however start off listing the small items on bob to get into the swing of things first before I start uploading the bigger items.

Do your clients wish to insure the package?

Is a collection service recommended?

Currently I work with just a courier service...however min charge is R 200 - so I make sure I fill a box to capacity to make it worth my while.

Your assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated. :blush:

JPBon

I work to standard postal rates plus a little for packaging, so for eg economail under 1kg and small in size (19.30 Sapo ) I charge around R25

for a 1kg parcel I charge 40 then around R 4 per kilo added on

TS Ron

My postage charge is R29.00 and shall give a run down it is a padded envelope a box for jewellery etc. Packaging can add to alot in the expense of postage as I do not think that any buyer wants their parcel arriving at the destination looking like the dogs breakfast.

DynamicDecor

Thanks JPBon.

If you use standard postal service for parcels - how long does it take to get to "major centres"

DynamicDecor

Thanks Asecon

Im with you on the packaging side of things.. would hate for a parcel to arrive in tatters. Rather charge a rand or two more & package properly than get a bad rating because goods arrived damaged.

I'll scout the Centurion/PTA area for good prices on packaging products.

Unless someone here has a referal they'd like to give me. :bigsmile:

lilythepink

Remember that JP is sending econo parcels at R19.30 which means they cannot exceed a certain size even if they weigh under 1 kg.

A general thumb of rule for shipping of bigger items under 1 kg would be R45.00 as you have to include costs of sticky tape, bubble wrap, etc. However, if it is small items such as earrings, rings or whatever a fair charge to include all expenses would be around R30.00.

That's my opinion, anyway!

You can work on between 5 and 7 days for items to get anywhere in SA provided they are securely packed and very clearly marked as to who the recipient is and who is the sender. (Some postal clerks simply cannot read properly and if you do not write this clearly then you might find your parcel getting back to you instead of the the buyer! What I do is write the recipient's name and address in big letters on the outside of the parcel and on the parcel slip, whilst at the same time writing my (sender) name and address somewhere at the bottom in smaller letters.)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your sales on BoB! :biggrin:

DynamicDecor

Thank you for the warm welcome lilythepink. I'm originally from the E.C (PE) - friendly bunch :bigsmile:

I'll make sure I mark parcels CLEARLY... I read a thread somewhere here where the parcel did a round trip. Bummer.

If you guys/dolls don't mind - I'll go and check on your shipping methods & costs - and perhaps "steal" a few words here & there... :blush:

I really appreciate your assistance here.

JPBon

HI standard parcels take around a week to reach their destination. I also offer speed services at around R75 per KG which takes a day to major centres (post office to post office)

lilythepink
Thank you for the warm welcome lilythepink. I'm originally from the E.C (PE) - friendly bunch

There's nothing like the ol' "boet and swaer" here in the Eastern Cape, is there? Everyone is called "boet" or "swaer"!! LOL

dominiquesonline

I charge a flat R45 rate and work on a "win some loose some" process. Most my items fit into the 1-2kg bracket, but some go as econo and a few go as high as 8-9kg.