Sign in to follow this  
ayuaussie01

why are gems cheaper here than anywhere else?

ayuaussie01

Im from Australia and bought 15 catats of rubies that in Australia would cost in the thousands and i only spent a few hundred, so please tell why so cheap on this site and cost a fortune in Australia?

oh yes there all real

(ebay is exempt from this question i know ebay has many fake items)

bob admin

Hi ayuaussie01,

How do you know they are all real ? You just joined yesterday, surely you have not received them yet :shock:

Lukeness

Many of the sellers are able to get the gem stones directly from Thailand and other gem centres so are paying what the dealers that are selling to the jewellers would be.

Sometimes there are quality issue as well as questions over what is genuine and what isn't.

Often the gems sold at jewellers are overpriced because they are usually not qualified to grade or identify them properly and set their prices from catalogues listing top investment quality goods that they use as references.

Most of all the sellers are cutting out a whole string of middle men who would normally get their own cut and push prices up.

ayuaussie01
Hi ayuaussie01,

How do you know they are all real ? You just joined yesterday, surely you have not received them yet :shock:

fake Gems are too clean, narural gems have inclusions, also ebay has many cheaper but all gems on ebay are synthetic or from india which are not very good.

Lukeness

Fake gems can have inclusions too.

Often those inclusions are the most conclusive way to identify them.

While eBay and any other auction sites are open to exploitation by unscrupulous dealers and many are simulants or synthetics, I know several top notch people selling high-class natural stones.

Once again, If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. People will try their luck everywhere. Consumers need to be vigilant. Ask questions and don't buy until you're satisfied completely. If a seller won't furnish all the answers you need, move on.

spinel
Hi ayuaussie01,

fake Gems are too clean, narural gems have inclusions, also ebay has many cheaper but all gems on ebay are synthetic or from india which are not very good.

Hi ayuaussie01,

There are quite a few perfectly honest sellers on ebay selling rubies.

Most Thai sellers describe fracture or glass filled rubies as "Heated".

I got lots of very nice stones (and lots of crap as well), but all real treated rubies.

If you check some high feedback over 10000 these are mostly honest sellers.

Most sellers here get their stones from Thai sellers and even use the pictures from eBay - their prices mostly about 10 - 100 times what they paid and their valuations about 1000 times what they paid.

Any day of the week at any time you can get "Heated" rubies for a few dollars a carat.

Watch out for some who write (wrongly) that the ruby is "possibly" "glass filled" - they know the stone is "definitely" seriously treated but they know also, if they were honest, their meaningless "valuations" would be meaningless. Ignore these where possibly.

I did get a real untreated ruby here on bidorbuy - super honest seller and a real untreated natural ruby.

Celebrity Jewels

Hi Spinel

Good to see that you are back and offering your experience to tell us what to do here. Also very glad that you found a seller who meets your approval.

Us honest sellers on here do indeed declare treatments to our stones and thanks to this forum and all. I do understand that certain sellers still keep defrauding buyers with fake valuations and certs and the worst of all being Burmese Rubies. We have honestly tried everything to bring this to Bidorbuy managements attention but they will not act without solid evidence. Perhaps you may be able to help out here.

I will not hold my breath as the last time I asked this of you, you dissappeared which does not help the cause in the long run either.

Come to the party and as we stated last time around your experience will be most welcome and appreciated.

Regards

Brian

spinel

Hi Gems Direct,

I am sorry, I missed your request.

OK.