Sign in to follow this  
space cadette

import and customs

space cadette

:huh: i an new to the auction thing, just bought a phene from hong kong, paid R350 courier. and today i got a call from custom that i must pay clearance fees. is that right?

Seeds for Africa
:huh: i an new to the auction thing, just bought a phene from hong kong, paid R350 courier. and today i got a call from custom that i must pay clearance fees. is that right?

Hi. I am assuming it was a "phone" that you bought. If it was made clear to you upfront that the item was being dropshipped (shipped directly to you from an overseas location), it sounds correct that you would have to pay customs duty.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

space cadette

thanks,just checking with all of the scams going around. and the person who phoned couldnt give me any info. thank you

qball

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of imported items attract VAT and duties. The seller is based in Hong Kong and does state the following in their Shipping Instructions on the listing:

International Courier: Please allow 3 - 7 working days (but also depends on the customs clearing time) for the product to be delivered to your pyhsical address (If you have the PO Box address, please update to physical address when you check out). Postage cost would be R350.00 for the first item and R300.00 for each additional item. Insurance is charged at an additional 3.00% of the order value. Note: SA customs may charge import tax or VAT etc, Buyer is responsible for any possible customs tax/duty etc. ---------------------- ****NOTE Buyer from outside of South Africa : Please add extra R80 on postage cost****----------------------

Often overseas sellers do not know what SARS/Customs will charge as if differs from day to day, but buyers are responsible for paying any duties or VAT that Customs may charge for the item to be released.