Sign in to follow this  
pienkfly

Coin Grader

pienkfly

Hi there,

Can someone please give me advice on where / who can grade a coin that i recently got from bought on BoB. I'm situated in Pretoria, so i need someone TRUSTWORTHY to grade a coin. And how long does this proses take and how much will i be paying?

Thanx!!:cheesy:

Pierre_Henri

Silence is Golden .....

I have read here on this very forum that a new coin grading company have been, or are in the process of being, launched in SA.

The details (pardon the pun) have apparently been announced at the recently held coin show in Natal - so the news is out in the open.

But for some or other strange reason, nobody wants to make it public on the biggest numismatic forum in South Africa - this one right here...

See here ...

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/coins-notes-numismatist/13765-new-south-african-coin-grading-service.html

...and note the deafening silence or response to my post.

Kind regards

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_Henri

alloway65

What about the "OLD" SACGS, I had a e mail from them the other day....so they must still be operating.......there was mention somewhere on the BoB Forum that they were opening a branch in Johannesburg!!!!

colour02

Hi Pienkfly

There are some reputable dealers out there that could assist you with grading to the US.

I think you should read the coins and notes forum on "Q & A by ALjada" on the top of this page and decide for yourself.

Regards,

Colour02

kyle2

Finding these companies is very difficult, for some reason it is a 'best kept secret' here on Bob. I have sent pm's to many coin sellers asking for this info with no joy. I hope someone finds out and post their details for all to see.:confused:

As far as SACGS goes, they might be a bit jaded because of the whole Mandela Birthday coin saga and the 'coin grade collections' that were for sale at ridiculous prices, other grading issues were also problematic (remember the rusty Mandela coin and the Pvc Mandela coin which were graded).

Many threads are available on this topic. I also fell victim to the grading hype.

Edited by kyle2

Rare NotesCoins

Morning fellow collectors.

I for one is all for a slabbing comapny in South Africa.

In the meeting we had in Johannesburg on the 16Th of March the issue was discussed about starting the grading company in South Africa.

There were quite a few eyelids and questions raised. The machine for slaabing the coins has been bought and is in Cape town already. This is where the problem starts. They have dicided to put both the south african grade and the American grade on a coin. So an (US) MS62 would also say (SA) AU58.

This will confise people. The grading team will consist of teh following people in the following areas. People in CApe Town will send there coins to Natalie Jaffe and and her team to grade. NAtal will be Anthony Govender and his team. In Johannesburg itr will be Glen Schoeman and Peter Wilson. You will submit youre coins to them , who will grade them and then send them to Johannesburg were Brian Hern will give it a final grade and send it back the the first grader.

The cost looks like R195 per coin. The original slab design has been changed since, but allot of qeustions have poped up.

1) Will it be a grading or gaurentee company.(Ngc gaurentee and Grade)

2) The person doing the grading will do so on a partime basis as they still run there own companie's.

3) There are currently no gas inserted into the slab to stop tonning of the coins

4) No security features on the actual slab

5) Turnaround time will be to long for collectors , even longer than NGC or Pcgs.

6) Security will be an issue as Slabbing will be done on a invoice number submited by a friend.

7) Posting a coin back and fort (4 Times) raises cost and change of going missing.

8) What systems are in place to track grading process.

9)Would these coin get market value if measured against NGC or PCGS on the world market.

These are only a few of the qeustions I have asked. It has not been clarified yet. But Glen dide say he would contact myself, Jan Kleynhans and Johan Gouws.

We send about 24 000 coins a month to Ngc (mostlly Mandela Birthday coins) These take six weeks to grade and be recieved back. Such an amount of coins will take months to grade if it is done part time.

I do hope we can get the problems sorted out as I still believe it is a very good idea.

Regardd Morne

Pierre_Henri

Graders and Sellers?

Thank you for your feedback Morne

Are you saying, or has it been decided, that dealers (like say Natalie's City Coins) will grade themselves?

Do I understand correctly that people who will be graders will also be sellers? Will they, for example, be allowed to grade their own coins that they are selling?

Pierre

Rare NotesCoins

Hi Pierre.

Yes that was what was said at the meeting.

My suggestion was the rather get NGC involved.

Let me explain. The reason they want to do it is because they dont believe that NGC Or PCGS can grade South African coins. No one is perfect so yes there will be mistakes. My suggestion is to speak to Mark at NGC and ask them to open a permanennt branch of NGC in South Africa. They people in the know can then train the "new graders" on how to grade South African coins. The whole NGC bussines can come to SA just as they are doing it in America. The slabbing machine is in Cape Town and I know the owner wants to start slabing coins as soon as possible.

Why cant the two party's work together to get this off its feet, Profesionally. I am all for the SA Grading, but there are just to many varients that will impede this process. There is allot of things that I havent even thought of, but many others have. This is the biggest Numismatic forum for this. Not one qeustion was asked or suggestions given before the decission was made.

Anthony. Will you please also tell us what you know as you will be a part of this?

I know lots of things have changed and needs to change. Will you inform us of some of these changes?

Regards Morne

republikein

The price of R195 per coin sounds way too much if done locally!

Pierre_Henri

The Best of Both Worlds ....

This is where the problem starts. They have decided to put both the South African grade and the American grade on a coin. So an (US) MS62 would also say (SA) AU58. Regards Morne

Hi Morne,

If I am ever offered a coin in a slab stating that the coin is both a MS62 and a AU58, I would offer the seller a R100 note in payment and tell him that the R100 note is worth both a R100 and a R1000, but I as a buyer would prefer if we can settle on the latter.

I wonder what the seller would think of that?

Pierre

Rare NotesCoins

That is why I think we are still 1 year away at least before the company can even start thinking about slabbing. I also heard that there market will be for lower grade coins like vf and f.

The coins that are currentlly on offer are so cheap anyway that I dont see that from happening. I just want them to speak to all the party's concerned before a final decision is made. There are allot of people grading coins in SA. Im not even talking about Herman's company. Why do we sometime race into thing. Lot of people are very dissapointed with his firm and there grading. Lets get it 100% right

Sorry for my bad spelling.

Regards Morne

coinoisseur
This will confise people. The grading team will consist of teh following people in the following areas. People in CApe Town will send there coins to Natalie Jaffe and and her team to grade. NAtal will be Anthony Govender and his team. In Johannesburg itr will be Glen Schoeman and Peter Wilson. You will submit youre coins to them , who will grade them and then send them to Johannesburg were Brian Hern will give it a final grade and send it back the the first grader

Hello Morne

This is the first time I am hearing that I would be receiving coins and grading coins for the new grading company. Please be advised that I am not involved in any aspect of the new South African grading company whatsoever. The only involvement from a Natal side is that we as the Natal Numismatic Society give the new grading company our backing. I also think you need to relook your facts regarding City Coins as I also do not believe they are or will be involved in accepting coins. Brian Hern will also not be giving a final grade to each coin. Best you confirm your details with Glenn and correct your posting before people get the wrong message. We are not qualified to meet grading standards and requirements and we do not the infrastructure to accept coins from the public.

Please would you be so kind as to amend your posting to read correctly.

Edited by Coinoisseur

Rare NotesCoins

Thanks for youre reply Anthony. As I said that was what was discussed at the meeting. Jan Kleynhans and Johan Gouws still asked qeustions about the fact that they will grade coins and what if there friends submit these coins. There were about 60 people present who also got the same info as me.

Thank You again for the reply as I said some things would have changed. These things I do not know yet. I can only give info as it was told to us at the meeting.

Kind regards

Morne

coinoisseur

I have asked Glenn to respond to the posting so that the correct information is circulated.

johangou

Yes I was at the meeting. It was said that the coin can easily be send to Durban or JHB for a decission. How will this logistics work ? And to whom will the coins then be send to if Anthony and Mr Herne is not going to grade.....

EEND

Hello, anybody at home