Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

New South African Coin Grading Service ...

Pierre_Henri

I have just seen a posting here from Anthony (from Natal) that a new grading service is being launched in South Africa and I think that could be big news for many coin collectors of SA coins who did not attend the Natal coin show recently.

Is it possible that this announcement could be made public on our Bid-or-Buy forum?

Regards

Pierre

coinoisseur

Silence is Golden .....

I have read here on this very forum that a new coin grading company have been, or are in the process of being, launched in SA.

The details (pardon the pun) have apparently been announced at the recently held coin show in Natal - so the news is out in the open.

But for some or other strange reason, nobody wants to make it public on the biggest numismatic forum in South Africa - this one right here...

See here ...

...and note the deafening silence or response to my post.

Kind regards

Pierre

Hi Pierre

I think the deafening silence may be due to the fact that they are "NOT" members of this forum.... I have passed on the message for some information and hopefully something will come shortly. I too am waiting with baited breath to see what their peoposal is.

(ZARBOY) Thomas may be in the best place to comment on this

Pierre_Henri

Thank you Anthony

Many of us are very excited - we might have a winner here.

Hope someone responds soon.

Regards

Pierre

alloway65
Many of us are very excited - we might have a winner here.

I am a little bit puzzled...SACGS was not really accepted by the local coin "pundits".....so why will another local Coin Grading Company be accepted with open arms.....unless it is affiliated to one of the internationally accepted Coin Grading organizations!!!!:confused:

kyle2
I am a little bit puzzled...SACGS was not really accepted by the local coin "pundits".....so why will another local Coin Grading Company be accepted with open arms.....unless it is affiliated to one of the internationally accepted Coin Grading organizations!!!!:confused:

The local guys really blew it with me and I think a few others when then graded a couple of coins with rust and PVC glue as actual grades. I hope the new guys would be affiliated in some way with one of the big guys. I have many coins I would like graded, but will wait until someone reputable comes along.

jwither

The challenge for any service is market acceptability, and this is true whether the market is South Africa or the US.

In the US, there are many grading services including some that many or most here do not know. In addition to NGC and PCGS, there is ANACS, ICG, PCI, SEGS and a few others that slip my mind. At the moment, I'm not even sure how many of these are still in business. The US coin market is (in theory) large enough to accomodate more than just NGC and PCGS, but except maybe as niche players, I expect all of the others to ultimately go out of business.

The reason for this is that because NGC and PCGS coins command higher or much higher prices, there is really no incentive for anyone to submit a coin with more than a nominal value to the others and for every coin which was previously submitted to another service with any value to ultimately cross over. The effect of this is to leave coins that are not very marketable in these "third world" holders which then re-enforces the public perception of these services, whether it is always deserved or not. Also, none of these other services provide grading guarantees (maybe ANACS did but I cannot remember) and I saw nothing in that other thread to indicate that this new SA service will either.

The only non-US grading service that I know that has comporable acceptability to NGC and PCGS is the Canadian ICCS. But then, I suspect that the fact that Canada borders the US and that there are many US collectors of Canadian coins has something to do with this.

eZethu Coins

I like this "affiliation" idea a lot!!!!