Sign in to follow this  
colour02

Value needed!!!

colour02

Hi could anyone please advise what price should one pay for a 1894 2 shilling MS62?

REGARDS,

COLOUR02

PtaCoinsCollectables

An AU58 Sold for R13 000 on BOB

Hi there

An AU58 sold for R13 000 on BOB before - I would pay as much as I can afford on a MS62 though!

Regards

Clinton

colour02

Hi Clinton

Did the AU58 Sell on auction or buy now. The coin has been offerd to me for R120 000.

geejay50

Hi Mr Fivaz,

I have done a search through Heritage Auctions in Texas and cannnot find a Mint State 1894 Two Shilling that was sold there going back to around 2007.

What I did find was an 1894 Halfcrown MS61 which sold for $3220 in September 2007 (Lot 52366) - that equates now to R22540 .If you compare the mintage , and combined grading figures of PCGS and NGC currently , the two coins are fairly close. In Mint State, there have been 14 Two Shillings graded up to MS64 compared to 11 Halfcrowns graded up to MS65 ( I have an MS 64 in my collection). Overall there are 164 Two Shillings and 180 Halfcrowns but the latter are a bit scarcer in Mint State.The Halfcrown is also a bigger coin and would tend in my view to fetch a bit more because of "show" appeal.

My feeling about ZAR prices between 2007 and now 4 years later in Mint State would show a modest appreciation of about 30% only.

For all the above, I would think a fair price for this coin (its not Pop 1 / 2 ) would be R30 - 35,000 and R120,000 is excessive to pay.

My opinion only.

Regards

Georg

jwither

Geejay,

I agree with you. I think that the Heritage sale is somewhat low but mainly because the coin was sold in the US and not South Africa. In prior posts, I have specifically mentioned the exhorbitant prices which I have seen on BoB for some coins. This example is a private sale but I see almost no chance that this coin would sell for that price (R120,000) in open competitive bidding. As a basis of comparison, the 1892 2/ and 2/6 PR CAM sold on Heritage recently for MUCH less than this price. I consider either of them easily more desirable than this coin.

colour02

Thanks alot guys for your input.

On the other hand I was thinking of not paying more in the region of R55 000, but then I know the client would not let it go at that price. I for one beleive that we are catching the tale end of this ressesion, the only question remains how long will it continue. Prices paid for coins 2 years ago and today is a vast difference.

Regards,

Colour02