Sign in to follow this  
Vanillabean

Items not recieved - Am i responsible?

Wild Olive Art
In terms of the new legislation (the Consumer Protection Act), the risk of the goods remain the seller's until such time as the buyer receives the goods. So even if goods go missing, stolen in the post etc., the seller is still liable for refunding or replacing the item for the buyer.

This then begs to ask the question - should buyers be given an option to insure items being posted or not. I see many sellers offer optional insurance on their listings.

On my shipping options buyers can chose between ordinary parcel with or without insurance although I have stated that I will not be held responsible for items going astray if no insurance has been taken.

Although most my buyers add insurance , there are some who opt not to add the 2% .Given that it is now my responsibility if goods are not delivered to the buyer , I will in the future insist on insurance being added to the shipping of all my artwork.

mellowred

There was some talk a while ago that "econo-parcel" cannot be insured (I'm referring to the R18.35 option here). Is this true?

I'm in total agreement with WOA, which would mean that the minimum postage would be "small parcel" which is R35 odd plus costs - so my minimum postage would be R40.

Seeds for Africa
There was some talk a while ago that "econo-parcel" cannot be insured (I'm referring to the R18.35 option here). Is this true?

I'm in total agreement with WOA, which would mean that the minimum postage would be "small parcel" which is R35 odd plus costs - so my minimum postage would be R40.

Econo parcels can definitely be insured, though at times some lazy post office staff will say it cant, to avoid the extra work, but you have the right to insist they do insure. And its now R19.30 for an econo parcel!

lilythepink

Yes, econo parcels can definitely be sent insured mail - I do this regularly - so argue with your PO staff if they say they can't do it! And GAMU is correct, an econo parcel now costs R19.30 to send (under 1 kg, of course, and within the size parameters).

eZethu Coins
In terms of the new legislation (the Consumer Protection Act), the risk of the goods remain the seller's until such time as the buyer receives the goods. So even if goods go missing, stolen in the post etc., the seller is still liable for refunding or replacing the item for the buyer.

Would it therefor be recommended that sellers ship only with an insured option to protect themselves? The way I see this, is that I am selling some item for which I must take responsibility. The buyer buys some or other shipment option in addition which is not a service that I provide, but is being done so by the Post office.

mellowred

Thanks for the R19.30 info Lily and Gamu. I'm really behind the times here. It's amazing that the PO staff decide if and what service they are going to provide today. I haven't used the Napier PO yet - will see what their service is like.

JP ... can we take the PO to the CPA if a parcel goes missing? If they provide a tracking number, surely they are promising delivery of that item.

I see no option but to insure parcels now. However, if the parcel is tracked to the pick up PO surely the onus then rests on the buyer to collect/find the parcel. The onus would be on the seller to deliver to the designated address (which - if it is for collection - would be the relevant PO). If it arrives, the seller has met his conditions of sale (?).

lilythepink

To answer your question, Mandy - yes, one can take the PO to CPA but imagine the time that will pass before one's complaint is sorted out.

If it's an expensive item it will definitely be worthwhile reporting to CPA but for smaller items, my verdict is still out. lol

Vanillabean
About two months ago i had a gentleman who bought 2 items from me. He requested it to be sent to his work address. I did offer Tracking first time around and he didnt want any. Package never arrived, so he made a second purchase, this time with tracking/signed for. Two weeks later and buyer still havent received that package either. I have stated numerous times to buyer that tracking is only tracked within the UK, When it leaves Royal Mail, and is delivered in SA, we can not track it anymore. Its signed for, so person in SA must sign for package. We are still waiting. Luckily for me the buyer is very understanding and we communicate on a regular basis. I just want to know, Is this the Sellers fault if package was sent both times but did not reach buyer. I have a feeling it might have something to do with sending the package to his work address. (office building) In the event of someone winning an item, i ALWAYS supply proof of postage (Free) - to cover myself. Is this enough? Can i do more? I really want to keep my customers happy. This is also the only person who has not recieved their winnings, all my other buyers have received their items. Any advice would be much appreciated!

He recieved new tracking number from customs in SA!! victory! First package sent to him still missing in action.

lilythepink

Glad to hear that he has received the tracking number. Now you can both stop worrying! Hurrah!

Vanillabean

Happiness!!