Sign in to follow this  
anthony03

Postage costs from sellers

anthony03

I know, this is boring but when I get get charged R40.00 postage for a ordinary mail item costing R19.00 I really get miffed. I post at a cost of R30.00 registered mail with a padded envelope and consider it reasonable. Your thoughts ?

anthony03

Typing error R 25.00 for registered mail with padded envelope.

Little Miss Muffet

I charge the same R25 for a bubble envelope under 1KG

It depends on whether the seller takes petrol etc into account.

There are sellers who try and make money out of postage. One would think they

would want to attract buyers,keep their customers.

Makes no sense to me.

Cali Craft and Gems

We looked at our overall costs (overheads - envelopes, bubblewrap, stationery, petrol, ADSL, parking, salary, etc) and worked on an average cost. We used to charge R38 for econoparcel / registered mail up to 1kg and this price stayed constant since we started on BoB in 2007. We absorbed each and every increase over the years (fuel, SAPO cost, etc) but were forced to up our price by R2 from 1 April 2011. Our speed services charge went up from R68 to R75 and that thanks only to the large jump from the post office's side.

We go to a lot of trouble to package our items correctly and securely, and in all the years have not had one single damaged or broken item. I personally think that most of our buyers actually need a crowbar to get into some of the parcels we send! :)

Ultimately, from my side as a buyer in some cases, the seller will charge a low shipping fee, and the "packaging" matches the low cost - pathetic (lots of breakages)! On the other end of the scale I've paid excessively on postage for econoparcel (usually with a combining fee), only to receive the item slapped into an envelope with no protective wrapping (and sometimes not even into a padded envelope!).

Some seller's are within reason (to me under R40 up to 1kg econoparcel is still good), and some just rip you off plain and simple. You'll also find the sellers who will charge in excess of the SAPO insurance rate of 2% - I've seen up to 6% on insurance alone!

PS. We have NEVER charged a combining fee! The only time I will request a little extra is if the parcel exceeds the weight or size specifications for the requested postage option.

Kit W
I charge the same R25 for a bubble envelope under 1KG

It depends on whether the seller takes petrol etc into account.

There are sellers who try and make money out of postage. One would think they

would want to attract buyers,keep their customers.

Makes no sense to me.

geewhizz has the same shipping rate that I have. My reasoning is exactly the same - when you break down the costs R25 is break-even point. To combine smaller items should not cost much more than the R25 that you are charging - why sellers ask "x" amount for extra items is beyond my understanding. I am talking abount small items like coins & stamps under 1kg.

Thanks geewhizz

Regards

TS Ron

I shall give you a break down on mine for R30.00 a box for the jewellery into: R3.00 the envelope for a Mail lite Padded BagR4.50 and depending on what the price goes for the two percent insurance as I mail insured only. Could be plus minus R22.00: And then I do not charge for the small amount of gift wrap to wrap the item securely. A few years ago I know there were people that charged for the use of office stationary as well in postage as they enquire who was going to carry the cost.

I am fortunate the post office is located close to where I get my daily supplies of milk etc so there is no extra cost of driving to the post office

Cali Craft and Gems

I forgot to add that I try and recoup some of the fees paid to BoB via the shipping cost too (although it never comes close - usually only around a third gets covered). This month alone my fees to BoB are almost R3000! April was R3502, etc. (with the most being over R5000!)

babyface2
I know, this is boring but when I get get charged R40.00 postage for a ordinary mail item costing R19.00 I really get miffed. I post at a cost of R30.00 registered mail with a padded envelope and consider it reasonable. Your thoughts ?

hi anthony, you are lucky to get away with only R40.00 postage there is some sellers that charges R99.00 postage for an item that only cost R19.00. i agree as a seller i also try and get back on postage bur i would also like to keep buyers coming back, so i do not charge R5.00 for each additional item bought but try and keep the postage as close to the amount as possible, keeping in mind petrol, bubble wrap, tape etc. smile you are lucky not being charged R99.00

Wild Olive Art

This argument does get boring !! It's not just the cost of the postage that gets taken into account with shipping fees ! Sure , there are some sellers that try to rip buyers off but R40 shipping is not unreasonable. Add to the basic cost of postage - packaging ( not all sellers are posting in envelopes) often bubble wrap , tape etc is required and it is not unreasonable for the seller to add a small amount for time and fuel that it takes to drive to the post office. These expenses are a standard addition which the majority of companies use when calculating shipping costs.

Seeds for Africa

And at the end of the day, if you arent happy with the shipping costs - dont bid!!!

anthony03

You are actually supposed to auction your item at a profit and not profiteer on postage. The analogy that if I don't like the postage costs I should not bid as a buyer doesn't make any sense whatsoever if this is an item that I need for my collection. I make a point of telling the seller exactly what I think about his/her postage costs.

lilythepink

Has anyone ever considered the cost of packaging tape? It's one of my major expenses apart from bubble envelopes, bubble wrap, etc. That is why I do not like to have just one class of shipping and prefer to list the postage of each item separately, in the listing!

Seeds for Africa
You are actually supposed to auction your item at a profit and not profiteer on postage. The analogy that if I don't like the postage costs I should not bid as a buyer doesn't make any sense whatsoever if this is an item that I need for my collection. I make a point of telling the seller exactly what I think about his/her postage costs.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, you are 100% correct. Shipping Charges is for exactly that - shipping charges, and not to profit on, or recover listing fees etc. My point is that I personally avoid sellers who overcharge on shipping. If there is something i really want, that has excessive shipping charges, I will look at the overall price of the deal (including shipping), and make a decision based on that.

Gem Shop

What does the postage charge include...we bubblewrap most our products, then we add a corrugated carton around the bubblewrap and in most cases the carton gets covered with brown paper. each layer needs to be cellotaped ( at R40 a roll ...we go through around 20 rolls a month) ...we have people that pack for us and we have to pay them. Its the time involved to record all these parcels in the Post Office...sometimes up to 2 hours in the line. then there is petrol to and from the PO. So we feel our postal charge is fair but it is always the buyers choice as our postage fees is clearly stated on every auction.

brands online
And at the end of the day, if you arent happy with the shipping costs - dont bid!!!

Agreed 100%!

dstorm

Hello all

We do not see so many mail order advertisements in the local magazines anymore, but now and then they do appear. Compared to these adverts, R40-00 postage and packing is a bargain.

I personally only charge R25-00 for shipping, but this is only because I sell stamps which are firstly very light and secondly relatively high priced compared to beads, toys, dvd’s, etc.

I do not only sell on BoB, I buy very often as well. I will never resent anyone for paying himself / herself R20-00 or R30-00 per hour salary.

Regards

Jacques

qball
I forgot to add that I try and recoup some of the fees paid to BoB via the shipping cost too (although it never comes close - usually only around a third gets covered). This month alone my fees to BoB are almost R3000! April was R3502, etc. (with the most being over R5000!)

Shipping and postage costs should only include actual costs involved with shipping, using shipping to try recoup bidorbuy fees does not form part of this and is definitely something we do not condone or encourage - this should come out of your GP or operating costs.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Cuan

I understand where you are coming from, but I will never be able to make up all my fees (overheads) via the shipping - it is simply impossible. My previous statement is actually totally untrue as I've now worked with the actual figures.

I've done a quick recalculation on costs and what I've come up with actually shows that there is NO allocation towards recouping fees paid - not even a few cents at most.

So ultimately if you look at the bigger picture, I'm actually losing with the current shipping fee that I charge! Although I try to keep my selling prices as low as possible and as such also never charge a combining fee, if I had to charge a combining fee, this would purely be to recoup fees paid and I don't like that "idea" - if you know what I mean.

At the end of the day I'm happy, my buyers are happy, and BoB is happy! What more could one want? (ok, except a break from the madness in the office!)

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems
Removed private figurework

anthony03

Agreed 100 % with Administrator

jinxster78

Ive seen this type of thread and I think the reason is more p**** off becuase you find a lekker item... sort via "lowest cost" and all only to find, oh he wants nine million rand to transport it.... (excuse the exaggeration).

Or more accurately you find a nice item value R70 bucks and its on BoB at R1 auction.. and you cant bid more than R30 on it becuase shipping is R40 and buying 2, helps you zero...

I think it would help if there was another cost column... "price with shipping" but that would be tricky... since shipping is tricky...

mellowred
Ive seen this type of thread and I think the reason is more p**** off becuase you find a lekker item... sort via "lowest cost" and all only to find, oh he wants nine million rand to transport it.... (excuse the exaggeration).

Or more accurately you find a nice item value R70 bucks and its on BoB at R1 auction.. and you cant bid more than R30 on it becuase shipping is R40 and buying 2, helps you zero...

Besides the convenience of shopping on-line at home, surely most sellers realise that potential buyers are looking for that something special, or a bargain. Adding high postage costs defeats that objective.

If all buyers thought like jinkster, the sellers who add rip-off postage costs would soon be out of business.

Exactly ... 100% agreed.

Cali Craft and Gems

In all honestly please, with my breakdown of costs shown on a previous entry, are my shipping costs fair or ridiculous?

Econoparcel to 1kg R40

Econoparcel 1kg to 2kg R45

Speed services (counter) to 1kg R75

Insurance for econoparcels set at 2%

Lukeness

Not at all.

spyker64

Hi Cali,

Your shipping prices are realistic and fair!

At least you don`t sell item`s for R1.00 and then, try and recoup the cost of the item through your postage.

eg. R150.00 Econo parcel for first item and R50.00 per additional items!!!

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hi Cali,

Your shipping prices are realistic and fair!

At least you don`t sell item`s for R1.00 and then, try and recoup the cost of the item through your postage.

eg. R150.00 Econo parcel for first item and R50.00 per additional items!!!

HI

Exactly-You hit the "spyker" on its head-Sellers charging up to R40 for register or econoparcel up to 1 kg are within reasonable limits-The problem sellers are those that sell at R1 and then avoid BOB commisions and make up their profit by charging up to R100 OR MORE for postage and of course these same sellers will charge a combining fee or R10 to R50 per item.

NEIL