Sign in to follow this  
eddyh

First day stamps

eddyh

Hi

Im new to bid or buy.

I just got a question. I inherited allot of stamps and theres allot of first day stamps thats still as good as new.

Now I have a few doubles of some of the stamps, which I would like to sell. How would I know the value of these stamps and for how much can I sell it for?

gabriel 1

Hi

Welcome to Bid or Buy. I take it that you are refering to First Day Covers from South Africa and the previous Homelands. The value of these can be found in the South African Colour Catalogue which is available from some sellers on Bid or Buy at the moment.

If you wish to sell these you can list them on Bid or Buy and see what happens. I wish to warn you, that the catalogue value of alot of these covers is not a true reflection of what they sell for in the curent market place. Covers were produced in thousands (quatities produced are listed in the SACC) and at times are sold for a fraction of the catalogue value. It is possible to make some good sales, especially if there are a couple of bidders after the same item. Some of the later Homelands covers, post 1990 do quite well at times due to their Thematic qualities but you are not going to retire from the proceeds. Check out the Stamp section in order to get an idea on what is happening on the site.

Regards

Gabriel1