Sign in to follow this  
chrisc

After I deleted a bid, the previous bidder's bid amount dropped

chrisc

On auction 37133876, there were two identical bids of R 1352,00. However, the last bid was made by someone who had bad negative ratings.

But when I deleted this bid, the value of the one remaining bid dropped immediately from R 1352,00 to R 1050,00.

Why is this please? If I had known this would have occurred, I would probably not have deleted the bid/

Regards

Chris

Little Miss Muffet

/I think the person who's bid you deleted probably had a top/hidden bid of R1350 and the present winner started his bid at R1050 but kept on bidding until he reached the deleted buyers bid.

Therefore the buyers bid or top bid no longer applies.If this did not happen the system would be open to abuse

chrisc

Then why was the current winner's bid shown the same as the one that went before it? I have never heard of a hidden bid and cannot find any reference to it in the buyers guide.

In what way could the sytem be abused?

I also cannot understand how a bidder can bid the same price as a current bid. On this auction, a minimum bid amount is shown, and if you insert a lesser figure, then this is not accepted.

Little Miss Muffet
/I think the person who's bid you deleted probably had a top/hidden bid of R1350 and the present winner started his bid at R1050 but kept on bidding until he reached the deleted buyers bid.

Therefore the buyers bid or top bid no longer applies.If this did not happen the system would be open to abuse

If A bids R1050 and he will not be at his computer when the auction ends he can put an automatic bid in to the higest he is prepared to pay R1350

If B comes and bids R1100 but finds that he is outbid because of A's automatic bid he has to bid more than R1350 to become the winning bidder so he bids R1352 and is now winning the bid.

You delete B's bid R1352 but the bidding was on R1050 and only increased because A put in an automatic bid. You therefore delete his automatic bid and the amount falls to R1050.i.e. You are deleting all B's bids from R1100 to R1352 so it falls to R1050 and the automatic bid will only apply if someone else bids again.

The system can be abused because I could get a friend to put in an automatic bid then delete his winning bid and get the higher price without him winning the bid but making the winner pay the higher price

Edited by geewhizz