Sign in to follow this  
sa_mikey_v

Silene Capensis

sa_mikey_v

Hi all

I am looking for some seeds or potted Silene Capensis.

Preferably in the Gauteng area as this is where I stay, but seeds are welcome from anywhere!

If you do not have any to sell, but know where I could find some within SA, please feel free to advise as well :)

Thank you,

Michael

sa_mikey_v

Hi MsPlod

Thanks for the response, I asked that seller a week or so back (on another of thier Silene auctions) and they are unfortunately out at the moment :(

sa_mikey_v

Just to add to info given here, I have searched the rest of the web and found a number of places overseas that sell it - but I can't bring myself to pay inflated fees and then international shipping for a herb that came from the Eastern Cape area in the first place! :P

Push come to shove I'll probably have to, but until then If I can get products from closer to the source and keep the money (As little as it is) in our economy instead I'd much rather do that :)

lilythepink

Could you let me have the "common" name for this plant, if there is one? I have a friend who owns a nursery at Bushman's River and I'll get in touch with her and ask her if she has what you want.

sa_mikey_v

That sounds great!

It's English name is the "African Dream Root" and it's Xhosa name is "undlela ziimhlophe".

Just be careful with using the name "African Dream Root", it's sometimes confused with the "Dream Herb" (Calea zacatechichi)!

Thank you lilythepink!!

EDIT:

I too will scour a few more nurseries in my area and post any results...

Edited by sa_mikey_v

lilythepink

Mikey I have sent you a PM!

sa_mikey_v

Success!

Turns out that the name used is no longer "silene capensis" but rather "silene undulata".

Seeds are available from Silverhill Seeds :)

Tinctures and dry herb are also available from Medico herbs!

Thank you one and all for your assistance in this endeavor, it is greatly appreciated :)

lilythepink

Great to hear that you're sorted, mikey!