Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

Can someone identify me??

Little Miss Muffet

Can someone identify this coin for me?

JPBon

In keeping with the title... I would answer that you are Pam aka Geewhizz.

Would love to know the answer to the coin question they look interesting.

lilythepink

aka Pammie!

Definitely interesting. I think Asian or Egyptian? But the one man looks a bit like Neptune, holding the fork.

Pierre_Henri

Your "coin" is actually an Indian temple offering piece, a kind of token that you "buy" when you enter (or "pay" as a you exit) a Hindu temple.

If you have the time to go back on postings on this forum, you will see that Zarboy (Thomas van der Spuy) have asked the same question about 14 months ago on this forum with a picture of almost the same token and I have gave him the same answer.

In monetary terms, they (Hindu Temple Offering Tokens) are not worth much, but as conversation piece they have much to offer!

Kind regards

Pierre

lilythepink

That's interesting to me, too, Pierre. But why would the one man be holding a trident? Would it have significance to an Indian temple perhaps?

Little Miss Muffet
Your "coin" is actually an Indian temple offering piece, a kind of token that you "buy" when you enter (or "pay" as a you exit) a Hindu temple.

If you have the time to go back on postings on this forum, you will see that Zarboy (Thomas van der Spuy) have asked the same question about 14 months ago on this forum with a picture of almost the same token and I have gave him the same answer.

In monetary terms, they (Hindu Temple Offering Tokens) are not worth much, but as conversation piece they have much to offer!

Kind regards

Pierre

IThank you and interesting. Maybe a R1 Crazy?? Just love it when I get a nice lot of coins as I did today.Spent the rest of the day looking over them instead of doing what I should be doing.

wayjen
That's interesting to me, too, Pierre. But why would the one man be holding a trident? Would it have significance to an Indian temple perhaps?

Maybe it is the traditional weapon of Shiva?

HR_COINS

Coin is most probably Lord Rama and his consort Mother Sita.

The year is 95% sure to be 1740.

The letters around the coin are in sanskirt devanangri. Some letters are unreadable to me.

Letters (from left to right):

?

?

La

Ta

Ma

Na

Jaa

Tha

Na

?

?

La

R

Na

Va

?

?

I checked with a friend who is an advanced sanskrit scholar.

Hope this helps.

HR_COINS

Out of interest, where did u get this coin?

Little Miss Muffet
Coin is most probably Lord Rama and his consort Mother Sita.

The year is 95% sure to be 1740.

The letters around the coin are in sanskirt devanangri. Some letters are unreadable to me.

Letters (from left to right):

?

?

La

Ta

Ma

Na

Jaa

Tha

Na

?

?

La

R

Na

Va

?

?

I checked with a friend who is an advanced sanskrit scholar.

Hope this helps.

You are right, There are a few on Ebay and described as such. I also saw one described as a token for marriage but am not sure if that is correct.

HR Coins------I stole it off a blind man when he wasn't looking!! It came from a household with a lot of other coins. I have a very good 1935 South African Florin as well in EF-uncirculated condition. A lot of interesting coins in this lot

Pierre_Henri

Hindu Gods Rama and Laksmana.

Here are three quotes I took of the internet regarding your Hindi Temple Token

Hindu temple token or ramatanka. Yours can be found as #4704 in Michael Mitchiner's "Oriental Coins and Their Values III: Non-Islamic States and Western Colonies AD 600- 1979." Obverse shows "Rama and Sita enthroned below an umbrella held by Lakshmana who stands on the left. Facing them is the monkey-*** Hanuman. " Reverse is "Rama and his brother Lakshmana standing; each with bow and arrow" legend is "Rama Sata" repeated. Temple tokens are hard to date exactly, most are 19th or 20th century. Mitchiner's catalogue gives a value of 5 pounds (in 1979), value probably hasn't gone up much as this is not a highly popular specialty. Interesting find!

and ....

This crudely made brass tokens pictures the Gods Rama and Laksmana standing on one side of the coin. The other side shows Rama and Sita seated on a throne, along the monkey *** Hanuman. The tokens have a false date, making some believe they are quite old. They were made during the 20th century and sold in Hindu temples throughout India.

and ...

The description of the legend/images is as follows:

Obverse Rama (Rama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Lakshmana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakshmana); Legend (in slightly corrupt Devanagari (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devnagari)): Ram, Lakshman, Janaki (Sita) (Sita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Wa (and) Hanuman (Hanuman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There is a fictitious/frozen date 1700 at the bottom

Reverse Rama and Sita seated (on these later tokens, the seated figure looks like a monkey), Rama's brothers Lakshman (Left), Bharat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharata_(Ramayana)) and Shatrughan (Shatrughna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) (Right) around; Hanuman bowing in front with folded hands

Ref: Ramatankas: Hindu Religious Tokens. Illustrating Themes from Ramayana by Michael Mitichiner

See also here

Print Page - Ramtanka: Indian Temple token

and here is a picture...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/hindu.jpg

Regards

Pierre