Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albertward

Taking care of your stamps

1 post in this topic

I listened to an article on RSG yesterday in which they mentioned very old books that where on exhibition at a Bloemfontein museum from the early 1100's. The lady spoke about the age of the books, the brittleness of the paper etc. That made me wonder. As stamp collectors we also work 100% of the time with paper, small portions on which bits of history was printed - the wonderfull world of stamps!! How can I really take good care of my stamps to see that it last also for generations to come. You hear of scrapbooking where photo's must not be pasted onto acid containing paper, but acid free paper. You know more or less how to handle these little wonders, but is there other factors to take into consideration, like humidity, temperature, acid free stockbooks etc etc. Sometimes you meet other so called stamp collectors and when they show you their collection, the first thing you notice is: it came out of an old suitcase on top of a shelf in a dusty cubboard, the stamps is bended, folded into all shapes and sizes, has been hinged at least an hundred times, if if where hinged! I got some stamps the other day from some one that pasted it with what I call "wondergom" the kind they use to put posters on walls and even woodglue. I had to throw it away! Another thing that would be very interesting to know is: How do one go about to salvage a very old stamp, what would be the almost perfect way to remove stamps from envelopes and HOW DO YOU GET RID OF POSTAL WORKERS WHO TAKE OUT THEIR FRUSTRATION ON STAMPS, smudging it all over with ink to such an extend that it you cannot make out the stamp!?

Happy stamping

Albert

Stamp Care

Hi

You raise a good point regarding the care and storage of stamps. I started off using stock books but found that you have to be very carefull when turning the pages as the stamps tend to move around and fall out on occassion. I now only use stock cards, these are, I believe chemical free and keep the stamps securely in position. I go further by placing the stock cards in a plastic sleeve made especially for these and then they go into Lighthouse plastic pages and into the file designed for this. It is a costly method but I want to protect my stamps as best as possible. The plastic used in the old FDC pages is not suitable, I have found that the ink on some of the old FDC's sticks to the plastic and when you try to remove the FDC it sometimes tears or the ink comes off. The new versions are far more suitable. As far as removing stamps from envelopes is concerned, I prefer to leave them as they are on piece, this way you are preserving the stamp as it was posted and you have the postmark which tells it's story as well. Keep your collection in a suitable cupboard, protect them from dust and place mothballs in the cupboard or you will end up with stamps with strange varieties.

Regards

Gabriel1