Sign in to follow this  
ziggy2000

Threatening Buyers

ziggy2000

Advice Please? I have unfortunately had a very nasty incident where a disgruntled buyer has sent me veiled threats, threatened me with slander and tainting my good reputation. This is the story: I listed an item, starting at R5500

Bronze - Danie (Daniel Jacobus) de Jager (SA 1936-2003) - Bronze of Female Form - 32cm, 9.3kg - Magnificent! for sale in Pietermaritzburg (ID:36626922).

He posted a question asking me whether I would accept a reduced price and close the item early, whereupon I agreed and reduced it to R5000. I sent him a reply, asking him to bid so I could close the auction but a day goes by and he does not bid. The next day he asks me whether I would accept payment only the end of the month, and I reluctantly agree to this and still he does not bid. In the meantime another bidder places a bid for R5000. By the time the initial guy bids, (which is 3 days later), he then asks me to close the auction for him. I explained to him that since there is now another bid, which came in first, and because he did not bid in time, I am no longer able to close it early as it would be unfair to the first bidder. Then all hell broke loose (excuse my french). He started sending me all sorts of abusive and threatening questions accusing me of being greedy, dishonest, unethical etc and veiled threats in general, and that he will warn all buyers to stay away from me. I have subsequently deleted all the questions as it was turning into cheap entertainment and was no longer relevant, since his bid was deleted by this time (upon his request). The deleting of the posts also offended him? What is BoB's stance on this sort of threatening behaviour. I personally take serious offense and find it highly irregular that it be condoned on a site like this one?

JPBon

Ziggy I would suggest you email community watch and make them aware of the situation. I am sure that Cuan will not take this matter lightly.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Yes, I agree with JP's assessment.

I had to deal with a threatening buyer a few months ago who was insulting me through the Q&A.

I answered every question and also took screenshots as evidence and then deleted the questions.

I then sent the screenshots to BoB and they took care of it - never a peep since then.

I highly recommend screenshot software - you can get plenty for free off the net - for cases like this - you never know when it can come in handy.

But, I'm also sure that BoB can call up deleted questions as these should be in the database, so that should help you

lilythepink

Ziggy2000 - please don't get your knickers in a knot about an aggressive buyer. Just name and shame him so your fellow forumers don't have a run-in with him! And please report him to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za as suggested above. We don't need abusive buyers on BoB.

Deep breaths now - it's a new day and things will work out when Uncle BoB gets involved!

Seeds for Africa
Advice Please? I have unfortunately had a very nasty incident where a disgruntled buyer has sent me veiled threats, threatened me with slander and tainting my good reputation. This is the story: I listed an item, starting at R5500

Bronze - Danie (Daniel Jacobus) de Jager (SA 1936-2003) - Bronze of Female Form - 32cm, 9.3kg - Magnificent! for sale in Pietermaritzburg (ID:36626922).

He posted a question asking me whether I would accept a reduced price and close the item early, whereupon I agreed and reduced it to R5000. I sent him a reply, asking him to bid so I could close the auction but a day goes by and he does not bid. The next day he asks me whether I would accept payment only the end of the month, and I reluctantly agree to this and still he does not bid. In the meantime another bidder places a bid for R5000. By the time the initial guy bids, (which is 3 days later), he then asks me to close the auction for him. I explained to him that since there is now another bid, which came in first, and because he did not bid in time, I am no longer able to close it early as it would be unfair to the first bidder. Then all hell broke loose (excuse my french). He started sending me all sorts of abusive and threatening questions accusing me of being greedy, dishonest, unethical etc and veiled threats in general, and that he will warn all buyers to stay away from me. I have subsequently deleted all the questions as it was turning into cheap entertainment and was no longer relevant, since his bid was deleted by this time (upon his request). The deleting of the posts also offended him? What is BoB's stance on this sort of threatening behaviour. I personally take serious offense and find it highly irregular that it be condoned on a site like this one?

The buyers behaviour and threats were totally unacceptable, He has no right to be disgruntled as you had agreed to a price and a payment date, and he never comitted by bidding. Someone else bid before him, so his loss. I am sure bob will appropriately warn the buyer!

ziggy2000

Thanks guys, I have sent an e-mail to hello@bidorbuy.co.za explaining the situation. I will also forward it to the communitywatch e-mail.

Edited by ziggy2000
added note

JPBon

For future reference I think any of us that are asked to close an auction in this manner, should add a clause to our answers to the effect of if the bid is placed before x time and no other bidders have bid...

ziggy2000

Yes, I agree with that. At the time I thought of doing it but thought it would look like I am putting pressure on the guy. Now however, I will always do it.

TS Ron
Yes, I agree with that. At the time I thought of doing it but thought it would look like I am putting pressure on the guy. Now however, I will always do it.

That is why the forum is there to learn from each other! Thanks JP!

ziggy2000

Just to give you feedback, communitywatch has been in contact with me. As JPBON said, BoB does not view this matter lightly. I was advised that I have grounds for a civil case, not that I will go to those lengths but it is reassuring that this type of behaviour is not tolerated.

JPBon

Ziggy I am glad that they have made contact with you. At least now they are aware of the situation, I have no doubt they will drop the user a nice warning letter. In any case should the user continue with his harassment there will already be evidence to send him/her on their merry way.

OScrapKits

Glad to see that yet again good, honest people are supported by a good, honest team and infrastructure. Awesome BoB!!!

As for the "aggressive" buyers (to put it nicely) do not tolerate them, ever. I don't close auctions early if there are other bidders, and most people would appreciate your fair consideration. The rest of the "aggressive" buyers can go jump!