Sign in to follow this  
ziggy2000

Does anybody know who to complain to about bad Telkom service?

ziggy2000

My telephone lines and ADSL internet connection has been down since Sat 16 April. A technician has been around but still the lines are down. I am at wits end as I can only do bare necessities at the moment, working with a very slow 3g modem. Does anybody out there know who to contact (other than the normal fault reporting numbers) to lodge a complaint or at least get them to take the problem seriously. Every time I phone I am told that it will be sorted but they don't know when!

meeks
My telephone lines and ADSL internet connection has been down since Sat 16 April. A technician has been around but still the lines are down. I am at wits end as I can only do bare necessities at the moment, working with a very slow 3g modem. Does anybody out there know who to contact (other than the normal fault reporting numbers) to lodge a complaint or at least get them to take the problem seriously. Every time I phone I am told that it will be sorted but they don't know when!

Look in the front pages of your telephone directory, somewhere there is a section on complaints/fault reporting or something to that fact. There it tells you, if you are still unsatisfied with the service you received (or have not received) to phone the number given there.

I used that number once, and after I explained everything, within 2 hours, the problem was fixed, plus, I was kept up to date with the progress as well.

Good Luck

dstorm

Hello Ziggy

I tried to report a problem to telkom yesterday. After a few minutes of press this number and that number, the connection just cut out, This happened three times at the same spot! Obviously pre-determined.

I went to the Lakeside Mall to report it to their Telkom Diorect office. More than 40 people were standing in a queue that reached out of the “shop” into the shopping centre.

So the same question from my side. What do I do to report a fault?

Regards

Jacques

lilythepink

Who and what is Telkom? I only know them as Hellkom! LOL

JPBon
Hello Ziggy

I tried to report a problem to telkom yesterday. After a few minutes of press this number and that number, the connection just cut out, This happened three times at the same spot! Obviously pre-determined.

I went to the Lakeside Mall to report it to their Telkom Diorect office. More than 40 people were standing in a queue that reached out of the “shop” into the shopping centre.

So the same question from my side. What do I do to report a fault?

Regards

Jacques

You can report it online: Telkom SA Limited

ziggy2000

Thanks guys, I have found a link on the Telkom SA Limited webpage to escalate faults. Today nothing will happen but will see tomorrow. Will let you know of the success rate, for future use.

TS Ron

Good luck Ziggy! unfortunately there is no other telecom to use at this moment.

ziggy2000

Telkom will fix a fault in 48 hours???

Oh and by the way, I am told Telkom will fix any fault within 48 hours. You and I translate that to mean 2 days, right? Oh no, Telkom will smugly tell you that it is 48 working hours, so that means 6 days. What lengths they will go to to appear good, but fool the customer?

lilythepink
Oh and by the way, I am told Telkom will fix any fault within 48 hours. You and I translate that to mean 2 days, right? Oh no, Telkom will smugly tell you that it is 48 working hours, so that means 6 days. What lengths they will go to to appear good, but fool the customer?

I don't think Hellkom back up their claim of repairing something within 48 hours! Well, their technicians in the Eastern Cape certainly don't!

Kit W

Let us take a hard look at the 48 hours - you are so right that it equates to 6 days. Take into account the Easter week end, Freedom day, week end and Workers Day (lol) and what are you left with? Two weeks ( eight days in your case) if you are lucky - keep us posted. The last time I had a problem I spotted the Hellkom van in my area and the guy said that I would have to go through the correct channel before he can sort it out. Rules are rules!!

Regards

ziggy2000

Time to celebrate! My tel phone line and ADSL internet connection up and running :) Thanks all for your assistance, without your help I would still be out of contact today!

chrisc

If you persevere, you can find the number of the Telkom office who actually send out the repair guy, and then from them get his mobile number, and so on. It has worked for me, twice last year when a contractor damaged some underground cables and the repairman they sent out took one look and said it was beyond him. After 4 days with no action, I got this number (021-461XXXX) and then the proto-team leader who was very helpful and knew what he was about.

With the mobile operators offering better and better 3G coverage and speed, why not consider them? It seems very good value for money speed wise. iBurst is unfortunately very unreliable, with speeds varying from 90% to 1% minute by minute.

One thing NOT to do it to go to Neotel. This is 1 step forward and 10 back. I have one Neotel phone at my office. Once a week if someone dials this number, you hear a msg, "The number you have dialed is invalid". Their repair division say they have never heard of this type of fault and refuse to test the line there and then. Also, even though I pay all invoices by a debit order on my bank account, I still received a letter of demand from their attorneys for an outstanding sum, apparently levied 6 weeks before I started the Neotel service! The attorney was surprised when I told her that I would definitely not be paying their demand, and she started talking about summons, etc. When I told her to send it, she got annoyed and told me that I should pay it and argue afterwards! Definitely to be avoided.

Edited by chrisc
typo

windrider

Another recommendation is to go with one of the bigger service providers who take over your telephone line management. They deal with the wholesale department and the response time from Telkom is quicker.

lilythepink

Hellkom has a "wholesale department"? Not fair that it gets better responses than we do!

windrider

It's the whole business-to-business relationship. My folks are with Webafrica and when I was staying with them, they had tons of problems with the line and with a few exceptions, most of the time my queries were addressed by Telkom the same week I logged the call.

ziggy2000

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am investigating a mobile service provider who works out cheaper than Telkom even with the uncapped option and the feedback I got from users so far is excellent. The only downside is that it is another upfront cash payment for the installation of equipment when I have already paid for my Telkom modem. I will also be investigating the "wholesale" option, if it is gets a quicker response time - I agree, why should they get preference, but it is what it is.