Sign in to follow this  
Dave96

What is happening with our country/morals....

Dave96

Got scammed twice on BoB and then (stupidly) got scammed on JunkMail about 4 days ago. I have serious issues with all occasions, and you could probably follow my train of thought on the thread "Little voice warning me about seller shooters". In terms of seller "shooters, I lost R5800.00. In the scam referred to in Junk Mail I lost R1000.00. BUT...as soon as you want to pursue the case, you have the following issues:

1) Laying a charge with (mostly) unco-operatve SAPS who give the impression that you are wasting their time

2) following up on the charges

3) In my case, trying to get the RICA registration details of the scammer from the cell phone providers, and these details will only be given if you subpoena them, at great expense, in a court, as the funds were transferred into an ewallet account

4) In my case, details of when and where the ewallet transaction was withdrawn. Information that will only be provided through a court intervention

Is anyone therefore surprised that so many people who have been ripped-off just decide to not lay charges at all.....and thereby letting the criminals get away with it???

At some stage....not in the distant future....irrespective of ratings (as was proven in the Shooters case) we will ALL need to reach consensus (and insist) on only buying from verified buyers!

lilythepink

This is just what the scammers hope - that people "won't be bothered" to lay charges against them. Don't play into their hands - do what you have to do!

mellowred

Even when a case goes to trial, the chances of the accused being convicted are very slim. I had a case where the evidence was all there, but the prosecutor did not hand it all in at court or to the defence attorney.

So my testimony was not backed up by facts (which I had spent months compiling). Case was dismissed due to "lack of evidence".

As the "victim" you need to follow-up, nag, check and recheck what the police and the prosecution team are doing. Go over everything, make sure they have done their jobs and then hope for the best.

No wonder people give up and the criminals walk away smiling, without a blot on their names, having learned a few new tricks, and even more prepared for the next scam.

It's just shameful.

SProducts

Our public servants are 100% useless and dont even know what they are supposed to do. They even had to tell me not to buy online again, but I told them its my work, I buy and sell on the internet. They dont know anything about internet crime and they get irritated when you bring such a case as they cant handle.

I also gave up on a case I opened, after no communication I followed up with the police station to be told the case was dropped. Had to bring in more evidence and met with teh investigators who started the case over again and prepared it for the prosecutor. But again it didnt go anywhere and I ended up giving up and writing it off as a loss, thats R2500.00.

I had another seller who sold Windows 7, they sent a disc without the codes and then claimed they had problems with Microsoft and will refund. More than a year and still nothing, have no energy to go to the police staqtion and open a case and just gave up on about R700.00. Have another seller whom sold me a blacklisted phone and has been promising a replacement for more than 5 months. I plan to go and open a case and when I have to, it just feels like a waste of time. Its like, why raise your hopes when you know nothing good will happen after all. So have to write off R4285.00 again.

Its true, the police, prosecutors, magistartes/judges are all useless.

Wild Olive Art

I was scammed by a seller here on Bidorbuy but my experience with the law was a very positive one. I live in a small place and yet the SAP were extremely efficient when I went to lay the charge and within 24 hrs I was issued a case number and had the detective call me . At the time , a number of us were scammed by the same seller and the SAP followed up in all instances very promptly and efficiently. With the result the seller was arrested , charged and sentenced !! Currently serving 8yrs in prison.

This was not the only case where a scammer on BoB has been caught and sentenced. There are many cases that succeed against these criminals and it's certainly worth pursuing them to ensure they get their due .

Dave96 - a verified seller is no guarantee at all - the latest scam on this site was pulled by a verified seller and although Bidorbuy will honour the R3000 the seller was covered for , many buyers were conned out of a great deal more than that !

Buyers need to be very vigilant, read through sellers ratings , have a look at the value of previous goods sold , beware of personal offers in high end items and if a deal looks too good to be true - well , it probably is !

lilythepink

Very wise words from Wild Olive Art. I support everything she has said. Cases do take time to come to Court but, providing the aggrieved party who opened the case keeps on and on "nipping" at the heels of the investigating officer, justice is done in the long run.

Just keep on and on ensuring that all your ducks are in a row, e.g. that the prosecutor receives correct documentation from SAPS (try and speak to the prosecutor yourself once things have been handed over to him/her) and you will see justice prevailing.

You might, during the long course of things, have to invest in some tranquillizers or take a course or two in meditation but just never give up!

SA picker

Yes Dave, I know how you feel.