Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Next stop US$50 silver

Guest Guest

Twenty minutes ago I posted under "ON THE CUSP" that silver hit US$48. It is now US$49.70 - just fifty cents shy of its all time high in 1980!

It has risen over US$3 today as a result of China's decision to dump US bonds... China to dump the dollar

Watch the chart you will probably never see again, the chart which is sinking JP Morgan.... 24-hour Spot Chart - Silver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1432[/ATTACH]

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

Little Miss Muffet

Hi Scott,

If I scrap silver what should I be realizing per gram in ZAR??

geejay50

Hi Scott,

The title of this Forum section is "Coins and Notes (for the Numimatist)" What has the movement of the silver price got to do with Numismatics where the intrinsic material of a coin or token has very little to with the sales price? If we want to talk bullion price fluctuations (up or down) lets change the title and leave out coins and tokens all together.

Geejay

Guest Guest

Precious Metal Value - PMV

Hi Georg

You say:

The title of this Forum section is "Coins and Notes (for the Numimatist)" What has the movement of the silver price got to do with Numismatics where the intrinsic material of a coin or token has very little to with the sales price? If we want to talk bullion price fluctuations (up or down) lets change the title and leave out coins and tokens all together.
Rather surprised you raised this because I would have thought, if you had followed the thread, you would have soon seen the following crucial factors impacting our hobby:

1) Rising silver and gold prices drives new collectors to our hobby.

2) The PMV creates a watershed between traditional "numismatic or collectable" value and the value of precious metal content (I gave the example of the silver crown a few weeks back ago in the thread ON THE CUSP. Remember this discussion on BoB? http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/coins-notes-numismatist/12796-new-paradigm-coin-valuations-pmv.html

3) Providing the price of silver and gold per ounce and kilogram gives the collector a simple basis on which they can expect a "floor" on old silver and gold coins (including the silver in coins of all values, both pre- and post-1951). The very issue raised in this thread by Geewhiz

4) Numismatists are researchers and love to know why things are happening... that's what ON THE CUSP is all about. I should add, always in my view.

As someone who has had the opportunity to invest in silver through their hobby as a result of these threads I would have though the overlap was fairly obvious. Those who took my advice would have doubled their money in scrap silver in the last year.

With over 22,000 visitors to the thread ON THE CUSP in just a year, and five star rating, with yours being the first dissenting post I would ask you what your motives are for suggesting that this subject is not relevant to COINS..... personally I wonder what could be more relevant today to our hobby.

Kind regards

Scott Balson (Kanniedood)

Edited by ndoa18

geejay50

Hi Scott,

With due respect , we dont need unending economics lectures around the price fluctuation of Gold or Silver on this NUMISMATIC website to give value to a Veldpond.It is scarcity of the coin,quality and story line thereof that pushes the price into six figures, not the trivial amount of gold therein.

Equally the value of the St Faiths Token has nothing to do with its tiny brass value.

I thought this would be obvious ?

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

Guest Guest

Simple answer

Hi Georg

You say:

we dont need unending economics lectures around the price fluctuation of Gold or Silver on this NUMISMATIC website to give value to a Veldpond
Here we go with the Royal "we" again! I wish you would stop that.

Simple answer for you .. those who have no interest in this subject don't have to click the link.... its the power of the mouse :).. with over 22,000 visits I would have thought the interest was self apparent.

Just did a simple equation.. with over 700 posts to ON THE CUSP the average post attracts over 30 visitors; your recent thread about SCARCE COINS attracts less than 20... you do the Math. So which is more important to the average person visiting this category on the BoB forum?

With regards to the St Faiths 6d, if no research had been done on this coin do you think it would have attracted even a few hundred Rand as an unknown piece? I doubt it. As a large percentage of our collections are in silver and gold what could be more valuable than an extended knowledge of the forces prevailing on the value of the precious metals that make up their content?

PS Can we get back to the subject of this thread?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

qball

There is already a thread on this Scott, please do not open additional threads. Please also refrain from personal comments and attacks.

Thread closed.

Thank you

Cuan