Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

iPhone Tracking Information

Not1CentMore

I am not sure this has any impact on SA residents (Admin...feel free to delete if inappropriate and please accept my sincerest apologies), but found this both interesting and frightening.

Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn - FoxNews.com

There are also 'devices' (CelleBrite is but one) that can extract all information including contacts, text messages, deleted text messages, call history, pictures, audio and video recordings, phone details including the phone number and complete memory file.

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

And, it is not just in Michigan. This 'invasion' of privacy is popping up on Main Street, USA. Seems here, anyway, Big Brother is watching...more and more every day!

Think I'll keep to my cheap pre-paid.

wayjen

Hi Not1CentMore

My daughter in Florida just got an iPhone4 maybe I should tell her. I heard the NSA tap phones in the USA anyway.

MacMuffin

Quite interesting. If you run a Mac you can download this application to check it out yourself: petewarden/iPhoneTracker @ GitHub

Looking at my data-points, I have been in the middle of Alexandria, Diepsloot and other "dodgy" areas - my alter ego must really get up to all sorts of non-sense when I am asleep. I found it quite strange (since the iPhone has GPS), that the location data was so off the mark - I was even in Ventersdorp yesterday - unsure how I managed this between 21 hours of work and 3 hours of sleep.

I think Facebook and Foursquare present a bigger data. I would think that police would still require a search warrant to get access to the data and our SAPS would not even know what to do with my Mac / iPhone in the first place.

wayjen
Quite interesting. If you run a Mac you can download this application to check it out yourself: petewarden/iPhoneTracker @ GitHub

Looking at my data-points, I have been in the middle of Alexandria, Diepsloot and other "dodgy" areas - my alter ego must really get up to all sorts of non-sense when I am asleep. I found it quite strange (since the iPhone has GPS), that the location data was so off the mark - I was even in Ventersdorp yesterday - unsure how I managed this between 21 hours of work and 3 hours of sleep.

I think Facebook and Foursquare present a bigger data. I would think that police would still require a search warrant to get access to the data and our SAPS would not even know what to do with my Mac / iPhone in the first place.

never mind if we run a Mac at the rate you getting around we bound to RUN OVER A MAC.

Not1CentMore

Seems Google Android is up to the same 'monkey business' as iPhone...

http://www.newser.com/story/116981/android-is-tracking-you-too.html

MacMuffin...not sure about SAPS, but not worried about 'local yokels' (most need pictures so they know which box to check when issuing a traffic ticket), but its just another tool Big Brother can use to keep tabs on us.

TS Ron
Seems Google Android is up to the same 'monkey business' as iPhone...

http://www.newser.com/story/116981/android-is-tracking-you-too.html

MacMuffin...not sure about SAPS, but not worried about 'local yokels' (most need pictures so they know which box to check when issuing a traffic ticket), but its just another tool Big Brother can use to keep tabs on us.

Ruthie

This is most scary thank you and that is the reason I just have the cheapest cell phone as well thank you.

chrisc

You can turn off the GPS tracking facility. As well as protecting your privacy, it stops unwanted connections from your phone of Tablet PC