Sign in to follow this  
Wild Olive Art

Dog food warning

Wild Olive Art

The following warning has been put out by the animal shelter " The Hopeful Homeless " . Please share this with your friends and fellow pet owners .

" A problem with aflotoxicoses in dog food causing liver failure has been observed in 12 dogs. The foods that were used and reported were Hi-Pro and Pick + Pay No Name Brand. Usually only certain batches are affected when this happens, but advise people to be on the safe side until we get a press release from Onderstepoort."

DestinysAngels

:sad:This is such a headache for me, people should rather buy food from their vet. The pet food in stores are poisonous for dogs, it shorten their lives extensively and does not do them any good, what pains me the most is when people pay a fortune for a dog but buys them local food, i battle with this concept day in and out. Thank you for the warning, i will forward this to my clients!

Edited by DestinysAngels

JPBon
:sad:This is such a headache for me, people should rather buy food from their vet. The pet food in stores are poisenous for dogs, it shorten their lives extensively and does not do them any good, what pains me the most is when people pay a fortune for a dog but buys them local food, i battle with this concept day in and out. Thank you for the warning, i will forward this to my clients!

The big dog food scare where melamine was in the food was mainly in foods which were supplied by vets. So I have very little faith in them. I have previously visited two local dog food factories and having seen their operations stick to those brands.

DestinysAngels
The big dog food scare where melamine was in the food was mainly in foods which were supplied by vets. So I have very little faith in them. I have previously visited two local dog food factories and having seen their operations stick to those brands.

Yes it was Royal Canine, but i guarantee you that the local food you feed your dog will lower their lifespan, it causes liver damage, cancer and kidney failure, unfortunately i am not going to name the brands that does this, but it is readily available in your local stores and far worse than Veterenarian recommended foods. I have been there, done it and know this for a fact, i even had such a batch and were phoned the day it happened, therefore have been saved the trauma. Feed your dog Chicken and Rice with a 1/2 block of chicken stock in the mean time, or at least untill you done your homework on dog food scares and i suggest you do, it will only enhance your knowledge and your dog will be safer and happier for it!:angel:

alloway65
The following warning has been put out by the animal shelter " The Hopeful Homeless " . Please share this with your friends and fellow pet owners .

" A problem with aflotoxicoses in dog food causing liver failure has been observed in 12 dogs. The foods that were used and reported were Hi-Pro and Pick + Pay No Name Brand. Usually only certain batches are affected when this happens, but advise people to be on the safe side until we get a press release from Onderstepoort."

Thanks a million for the warning.

JPBon

Mine eat rice and chicken a lot anyways. Along with other food I cook, they have an owner who is bored and loves to cook.

DestinysAngels
Mine eat rice and chicken a lot anyways. Along with other food I cook, they have an owner who is bored and loves to cook.

That is great news and thank you for that, you are doing them a favour and i am sure they adore you!:love:

TS Ron

Best advice is to make your own dog biscuits for a treat! My dogs get fed brown rice with pets mince from our butchery.

DestinysAngels
Best advice is to make your own dog biscuits for a treat! My dogs get fed brown rice with pets mince from our butchery.

:wondering:Some dogs are allergic to brown rice, white rice preferable and mince is bad for dogs, (they aren't in the wild anymore and domesticated and therefore some dogs guts/stomack's cannot handle certain foods) i know that yorkies may not eat red meat, always best to offer chicken, greens like beans and carrots, and biscuits i also make myself, but again no wholewheat etc, i will put up some recipes if anyone is interested, let me know!

Wild Olive Art

I would definitely be interested in some recipes , especially for biscuits. My dogs eat only natural foods so I don't have the worry when a situation like this arises .

Woolworths also had an issue with contaminated dog food a while back !

My furkids mean the world to me. I would no more feed them rubbish than fly to the moon. It horrifies me how substandard so many pet foods are !

DestinysAngels
I would definitely be interested in some recipes , especially for biscuits. My dogs eat only natural foods so I don't have the worry when a situation like this arises .

Woolworths also had an issue with contaminated dog food a while back !

My furkids mean the world to me. I would no more feed them rubbish than fly to the moon. It horrifies me how substandard so many pet foods are !

I will add some soonest, just busy with a case study, i will PM you with some real nice treats, that is easy to make and dogs go nuts over them and it is safe to use for all dogs to enjoy! I know about the Woolies scare, but i am a bit reluctant saying certain things over the air. I so want to help others but certain things makes it difficult for me to say, so i try in a round-a-bout way and hopefully people will read through the lines. "My motto is to: equip yourself with knowledge for it is power, research and research some more, ask questions no matter how small or how stupid one thinks it might be, for there is no greater fool than the one who thinks they know but in reality they knows 0!"

lilythepink
Yes it was Royal Canine, but i guarantee you that the local food you feed your dog will lower their lifespan, it causes liver damage, cancer and kidney failure, unfortunately i am not going to name the brands that does this, but it is readily available in your local stores and far worse than Veterenarian recommended foods. I have been there, done it and know this for a fact, i even had such a batch and were phoned the day it happened, therefore have been saved the trauma. Feed your dog Chicken and Rice with a 1/2 block of chicken stock in the mean time, or at least untill you done your homework on dog food scares and i suggest you do, it will only enhance your knowledge and your dog will be safer and happier for it!:angel:

I lost two youngish cats with the Royal Canine saga and it is still a heartache for me! They developed severe kidney trouble, irreversible despite expensive attempts to save them, and they had to be euthanased. Never, ever do I wish such a situation on any pet owner or animal lover!

DestinysAngels
I lost two youngish cats with the Royal Canine saga and it is still a heartache for me! They developed severe kidney trouble, irreversible despite expensive attempts to save them, and they had to be euthanased. Never, ever do I wish such a situation on any pet owner or animal lover!

Sorry to hear that Janet, yes i was pretty fortunate when that happened, my vet called me immediately and told me not to use it and bring it straight back to them, i am giving mine Eukanuba ever since and then the chicken and rice as previously mentioned and homemade biscuits and treats, i don't give chewies as you know my Destiny almost died due to that darn thing ("funny, when i spoke to my vet telling her how mad i am that companies actually makes these things as they can be deadly she replied with this: why does companies make sigarettes it also kills but people still smoke don't they"), so true, i thought, so now i just equip myself with knowledge and if it does not feel or look right to me, i don't use it (common sense or woman's intuition). You know they should have covered your bills, (the company that is not the vet) i had to send in documentation and they promised to refund me, they never did, that is why i don't really support them, however, not all the batches were affected, only a phew, but still that was not acceptable, as i would have had a fit if something happened to my dogs!

Edited by DestinysAngels

StudMuffinsMissus

I've just adopted a bulldog & a bullmastiff. The bulldog had a bad skin condition when we got him which has disappeared just from feeding him pets mince, brown rice, liver & veg (squash, pumpkin,sweet potato & spinach). At least I know what goes into their food & I love cooking for my babies.

Bulldog..jpg.12fa84cf2c335ee1b7800659cbc2e3ae.jpg

Lilly..jpg.01e272db6353529d98fcef7780708739.jpg

TS Ron
I've just adopted a bulldog & a bullmastiff. The bulldog had a bad skin condition when we got him which has disappeared just from feeding him pets mince, brown rice, liver & veg (squash, pumpkin,sweet potato & spinach). At least I know what goes into their food & I love cooking for my babies.

I infact think it is cruel to give a dog dry food any way each person to their own. I am a firm believer of brown rice with mince and veg of course sanctioned by my vet but each person does the best for the animal..

SUPER VALUE PRODUCTS

Hi I only buy Pick And Pay No Name Brand I had a huge problem my first dog went very ill and was on his deathbed lucky he survived *** willing .I suspect it could be the food after reading this forum post as my second dog is also feeling sick .My dog was spewing and refuse to eat was dehydrated and when I went to SPCA they told me put it down

SUPER VALUE PRODUCTS

thanks a million for the warning again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DestinysAngels

If anyone's dog is puking or if their poo is watery, (i am not referring to the dog food scare now), pm me, there is medicine that you can give them to help with that, that is if you catch it early enough and might just save your dog and vets bills, i have had drama after drama with mine at one stage and do know how to help if this happens. The watery poop can turn into bloody poop very quickly and then dehydration start to set in, by that time it might be a little late, remember to always keep an eye on their poop, it should be dark and firm, (dark is good - means you give good food - light - means they not getting enough nutrition and then consider changing food) sometimes soft is not bad, but watery is a no-no, sounds jucky but believe me, if you adore and love your dog/s that will not bother you. They do tend to eat grass if their tummies is upset and will puke afterwards, so don't worry about that, but again if the tummy is upset there is something you can give them to ease the cramping. Checking gums is not always an indication of a sick dog because as they get older their gums change in colour, so this is not a reliable way of checking.

I am truely sorry to hear this, sometimes we hear things or know things too late, but you know what, you are equipt now with knowledge and that is powerfull, next time you will not be in the dark, remember to just always look for signs, if you are not sure, you are so very welcome to pm me, if i don't know an answer i will find it for you, good luck to you and sorry again!

Edited by DestinysAngels

MrAerospace

One wonders how many dog owners (and dog lovers) who don't read this forum will have sick dogs? This is terribly sad, bad news.

DestinysAngels

WARNING: IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED NOW THAT 20 DOGS HAVE DIED DUE TO A FUNGUS THAT IS PRESENT IN THESE THREE DOG FOOD BRANDS: HIGH PRO; LEGEND AND BUDDIES AND I CONFIRM THAT I STILL SEE THIS DOG FOOD IN SHOPS, I SPOKE TO THE OWNER THIS MORNING AND HE PULLED UP HIS SHOULDERS AS IF TO SAY "I DON'T CARE", THIS IS SICKENING, I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT PICK 'N PAY NO NAME BRANDS ARE TOXIC TOO, BUT I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS AS I ONLY HEARD THIS THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE: APPARENTLY ONDERSTEPOORT IS INVESTIGATING THE FOOD, IT WERE ON THE NEWS THIS MORNING AND IS CONFIRMED ABOUT THE FIRST 3 FOODS I MENTIONED, THE VETERENARIAN ASSOCIATION URGES PEOPLE TO FEED THEIR DOG'S PROPER FOOD AND TO BE CAREFULL WHAT THEY FEED THEIR ANIMALS AND I SECOND THAT!

PS: Sorry about the big letters, i don't know how to change it to smaller without typing the whole thing again!:nuts: