Sign in to follow this  
TS Ron

May an post office employee ask the following question

TS Ron

I went to the PO to post an item registered mailed. I had done so the previous day at the same PO. Only to be told by a different teller that she was not going to register this parcel. I meekly enquired as to why on earth not and the person informed me that it was to small. I then started loosing my temper told her I shall try another post office.The teller then enquired from me what is in this envelope. I turned around and basically scournfully told her it was none of her business. I went to another PO had no problem what so ever to send the parcel registered mail. I would love to know why this employee was so interested in to pry what was in the parcel.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Good question, this is really not on.

You are the one that chooses to register something, they can't refuse.

Sounds very suspect

lilythepink

Why don't you report such insolence to the Postmaster/Postmistress?

TS Ron
Why don't you report such insolence to the Postmaster/Postmistress?

In fact the postmistress was in the post office at the time she overheard the teller asking these questions and did nothing while I was there to reprimand her in fact. Any way I am sorry I just have learn't to trust no one in the post office of lately.

Cali Craft and Gems

We rushed into the Hunters Retreat branch earlier this afternoon only to be greeted with a go-slow and surly attitude! One teller and a queue heading out the door! Waited 45 minutes for a photocopy and to send 2 speed services parcels and one international. We had to get to the bank before it closed at 15h30 as my mom bought her first new car today and had to get a bank cheque (made it with seconds to spare).

I didn't even bother handing in the remainder of my parcels as I knew I'd be held up there for at least another hour if I had. Dashed around town (still had to hand in parcels at Fedex in Walmer), hit 4pm traffic and managed to get to the dealership before they closed! Then hit 5pm traffic from Newton Park back home. Our PO branch only closes at 18h00 so I popped in on the way home to send the rest of my parcels. This time the usual b1**hy individual was on duty so that too was a mission for her to deal with a batch of parcels at that time of the day!

This particular teller has been rude enough in the past to tell me "not to rush her" or to take my business elsewhere if I don't like how slow she is! The previous postmistress at this branch also told me to come to the branch at another time cos they firstly don't want to deal with my "load" in the afternoon, plus they don't like me to hand in parcels with incense so I must take those to another branch! The current staff get angry with me if I refuse to bring them cake or treats - my own household / family don't get treats so they won't either. I gave each of them a gift last Christmas, but this too was "not enough" for better service!

On another note, there had been a temp teller at this branch before that also wanted to know the contents of parcels - I told him beads and lavender even if it was gems - he eventually lost interest when that was the answer every time.

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

JPBon

I comsider myself lucky then as mine are the friendliest and most helpful bunch I have ever come across, they even give me tips on how to make things cheaper etc.

booksallsizes

@Cali - when I was in Port Elizabeth I used the Mount Pleasant Post Office - it may be quite far from where you live but they really were fantastic. If this isn't the branch you are talking about (it has been over a year since I left PE, they could have become rude in that time :notrust:) - it may be an option for you to use if the others become too frustrating! I remember the horrors of posting anywhere else in PE - I feel your pain!!

wayjen

start reporting the PO. They are there to service the community and if they are getting snotty about their work then they must be dealt with.

Lukeness

I've found that KFC does the trick...

wayjen
I've found that KFC does the trick...

Do they also offer a Postal Service now?

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Books - the only hassle is that the current branch is only 2km from my house and my PO Box is based there too. The next nearest branch is about 15km away! Mount Pleasant is about 25-30km on the other side of town!

Oh well... guess one has to sit up with rubbish service sometimes... or perhaps a phonecall to the regional manager will shake things up a bit... ;)

TS Ron

Good luck with trying to call the regional manager in EC she is non existent! I have now found a post office that shall assist me eventually and do as I request? Or else jeeze I shall have to try the KFC trick.

Seeds for Africa

On a happier note... I am fortunate enough to have a very good, quiet little post office 2 mins from me. The staff are excellent, and thats because they now know me well. There is pretty much nothing that they wont do to try and accomodate me - within reason obviously. I was even permitted to check myself for some overdue parcels which I hadnt received a slip for and I found them. Due to the volume I do with them they also made an exception and expedited my PO Box application... and then let me choose a number from all those that are free.

Whilst I sympathise with all those experiencing PO problems.... there are some dedicated staff in the organisation amongst all the rat bags. I really hope they never move the staff from my post office!

Grant

Lukeness

If you get the KFC, they'll get to know you well very quickly!

TS Ron

Okay Lukeness thank you. I just do not want my parcels full of chicken grease.

lilythepink

Well, don't hand over the KFC until your parcels are safely dealt with! LOL (I find that a big chocolate or vanilla slab cake at Easter and at Christmas work pretty well, too, and for the rest of the year you'll be greeted most welcomingly when you step into the PO!!)

TS Ron
Well, don't hand over the KFC until your parcels are safely dealt with! LOL (I find that a big chocolate or vanilla slab cake at Easter and at Christmas work pretty well, too, and for the rest of the year you'll be greeted most welcomingly when you step into the PO!!)

Wow at this rate offering cake or KFC they might just want to have their way with my hubbie quite soon as well!(joke)

mellowred

I reported the Hermanus PO to the regional manager about a year ago. The Post Mistress was lazy, unhelpful and stupid (to put it bluntly) and had no clue on how to manage staff.

The WC regional manager did something about it, because on the rare occasion that I was forced to use that PO the post mistress was behind the counter (training?) with a forced smile on her face and a very obliging attitude.

Try and find the regional manager, and if not go national.

I find it hard to reward bad service with a gift.

Luckily the Post Mistress in Onrus River branch is a real honey and always efficient and helpful. I've yet to find our Napier PO :razz:. I know it is here somewhere, but it's very well hidden.

Asha Craft Jewellery

We have one postoffice in our area and I'm on a first name basis with all of the workers. Even the postmaster. I adore them and we have a good friendship going. Yes, some days they sigh when I walk in (because it's usually a truckload of parcels!) but this is followed with a wink and a smile from their side. It's their job and they do it well. Except for this one (moo) that always has snide comments about everything... From what I wear, to how many parcels I post, to the contents, etc. I just ignore her, literally. If she starts talking to me, I walk to a different teller and strike up a conversation. I used to get so mad, but now I just laugh it off. :biggrin:

TS Ron

Asha

You lucky to walk to another counter when ever I have been in a PO here there is a queue so I can not always go the teller that gives the best service unfortunately.That is what I hate about city life.

ziggy2000

The manager at my post office told me that they have targets to reach so are always very happy when I arrive with my bakkie load of parcels. I normally post of Tuesdays and Fridays and on the odd occasion when I miss a day to only arrive the next day, they are greatly relieved that I still came in and did not go to another PO to post as there is great competition between the branches in the area - I'm not complaining :)