Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Kumihimo.

BeadsandBaubles

By chance I stumbled upon an article about Kumihimo (a Japanese art of thread weaving using an interesting variety of a knitting-nancy - in afrikaans "tolletjie-brei")

Many many moons ago when I was still a young girl my gran taught me this and my grandpa had made her a kumihimo type of goodie (don't know what they called it then) from a bicycle wheel which he had place on a revolving stand - difficult to describe. Gramps was in the RAF and had visited Japan at some stage and adapted his "kumihimo-goodie" to suit my gran's requirements. Now her "kumihimo' did not have slots, but rather the spokes were adjustable. Gran used these to make these long tubes, about the width of a bathroom mat when flattened. She used plastic shopping bags to make the tubes, when flattened and the ends sewn together these made the most lovely bathroom mats, corridor runners, and a few of them sewn together to make beatiful screens or wall hangings. We were in Bellair Primary School and one year they had a fashion concert - Gran actually made clothing out of plastic bags - my sis got to wear a costume with matching beach mat and bag, The kumihimo discs are quite easy to make using coffee tin lids.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for stuff to make using kumihimo? And also does anyone do macrame anymore? or is it a lost art. I have some lovely curtain patterns using beaded macrame and looking for some really BIG wooden beads.

lilythepink

I have done macrame but not for a few years. Somewhere I have a lovely book on making things but where is the big question! lol

My mother used to crochet handbags, sunhats and other goodies from plastic bags which she cut into strips - somehow, years ago, we seemed to get far more colour in the way of plastic bags. I love crocheting but it's the time taken to cut the bags into strips that I don't seem to have! (And, yes, crocheting with plastic bag strips does make one's fingers very sore!)