Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

The Silver / Griquatown token parody

Guest Guest

On the anniversary of ON THE CUSP I am hoping the value of my research will not be lost. I hope that it has been appreciated and helped some of you to make an informed decision when it comes to the precious metal market.

I have also published the relevance or not of the Griquatown token coins to South African numismatics; for years arguing with sourced references that they never circulated and Parson was wrong. During this time I have been ridiculed by a few people on this forum who never even bothered to check my references. I have also submitted my research on this subject, some years ago, to the Secretary of the National Numismatic Society (NNS) in Johannesburg but it was ignored and not even tabled for members to discuss. In fact the Secretary of the NNS suddenly became an expert on the subject I have studied for over 30 years and told me in a brief email sent in response that my claims that the Griquatown tokens never circulated were nothing short of “stupid and uninformed”. No contrary evidence to my research has ever been supplied by him to prove my stupidity.

Very few people who read my posts on this subject, apart from Dennrein, actually did some research based on the sources I had provided. This member debated me on this forum in another thread where we openly discussed the relevance of the Griquatown token coins. I believe Dennrein, who I have never met, largely came around to my way of thinking. At a personal level I was delighted that someone actually checked my sources!

The view of those who denigrated my work on the Griquatown coinage in the past was that I, somehow, wanted to profit from the Strachan token coins that I had acquired when researching them over thirty years ago. Believe me that is a ridiculous assumption, is hurtful and is totally untrue.

The thread ON THE CUSP was started by me a year ago today, in part, to demonstrate to the doubters that profit was never my motive in revealing the truth about the Griquatown token coins. My research in areas of interest to me are well founded and are only published when I am sure of my subject.

Silver has more than doubled in price in real terms in the last year. By publishing my ongoing research here I have, in effect, created more competition for my own silver bids on BoB. (Many of the sellers I buy from would acknowledge this). Why then would I try to alert South African numismatists to my research on the Griquatown tokens if my motive was profit? And why have none of these “experts”, who denigrate my research, ever taken up my open challenge for a public debate on this subject in South Africa?

I think that anyone who has followed the thread ON THE CUSP would appreciate how accurate my predictions have been when it comes to silver. Predictions are much harder to make than reflections based on the careful historical research I have undertaken over many years. All I have done, in effect, with the Griquatown token coins, is simply got rid of the mud and debris that has accumulated following the ridiculous and unfounded claims originally made by Parson, and then parroted in many books by those who followed him. I have presented numismatists in South Africa with the results of thirty years of research, research that tells a very different story to Parson.

I have no South African numismatic titles behind my name, like many who read my posts, and doubt if my research on the Griquatown token coins will be seriously considered in the near future. One day I am sure it will be raised again by someone with more connections in the South African coin collecting community and then, maybe, the truth on this matter will finally be accepted.

I trust through these posts I have made in the thread ON THE CUSP the point has been made to the doubters regarding my integrity and depth of research when it comes to the Griquatown token coins.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

Pierre_Henri

Kannie dood "daar onder" ....

Hi Scott

I do not know if you are still in command of the "boere-taal" after how many years "down south" - in OZ that is, but regarding your 12 month postings, you are surely a "kannie - dood"

You have been spot on in your silver price predictions and I for one take my hat off to you.

I have always envied true spirit in people and in you I see that.

We had our differences in the past, but I salute you - many Bid-or-Buyers buying silver on BOB over the past year must really say thank-you to you. Some have doubled their investments in one year, and that is truly not easy in whatever kind of investment one is looking at during the 2010-2011 period.

Kind regards

Pierre

Guest Guest

Kannie Dood

Hi Pierre

Thanks for your comments of support.

I know the "kannie dood" well... it is the symbol of the Griqua! A type of Karoo Aloe that keeps growing regardless of the environment it is in - thus "will not die".

And yes, when I see you in Cape Town in September, you will see I still have a fair understanding of "die taal"... Groetenis!

Kind regards

Scott Balson

geejay50

Hi Scott,

Trees are another hobby of mine. The Afrikaans term "Kanniedood" refers to trees under the Genus Commiphora of which there are 7 species in Natal alone (Pooley). Most of this species grows very easily from Truncheons hence the term 'Kanniedood" and one can actually have a "living fence" if you use them as fence poles.The larvae that live on Commiphora africanum were used by the khoi- san as arrow poison.

"Aalwyn" is the Afrikaans name given to the Aloe family which has 13 species used medicinally by many indigenous people in SA (People's Plants van Wyk). Aloes do not grow in general from truncheons and are totally different to the Commiphora species in morphology.

Regards

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

Guest Guest

The Griqua Kanniedood

Hi George

I am only going on my past research on the Griqua symbol of survival against all odds - the aloe, it is on their flag... you can see more at:

The Griquas & Matjieshuis Kraal - South Africa West Coast Hub - your Indispensible Guide

(aloe on the Griqua flag) The first people of the Cape: a look ... - Google Books

The Griqua conundrum: political and ... - Google Books

I will be staying at the Griqua resort Ratelgat north of Cape Town during my trip to South Africa.. really looking forward to it! Welcome to the Griqua Ratelgat | Cultural and tourism nodes - the Griqua refer to the Kanniedood on their Ratelgat page at this link: Griqua History

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

Cold Sea

Hi Scott,

We know that history is not always well documented, but that does not mean that it did or did not happen. Large parts of your research on the Griqua coinage is based on your opinion, thus it becomes an opinion piece.

Various scholars began to assert that texts have no fixed meaning. The readers interpretation, not the author's intention, determined meaning
Your research on the Griqua subject is commendable, but in my humble opinion, far from the definitive work on Griqua coinage. Others, including myself, have tried to engage you in debate, but your selective replies made the exercise futile.

Others, aside from yourself and Dennrein, will continue to read your, and other material, and enjoy a fascinating hobby.

Regards

Derick

Edited by qball

Guest Guest

Is it Doggedness, a Kanniedood approach or simply passion for my hobby?

Hi Derick

I always smile when people who do not know me from a bar of soap purport to know what drives me.

Let me assure you that the it is neither doggedness or a Kanniedood approach that drives me - whether it be the future price of precious metals or the truth behind the Griquatown token coins. In fact both suggestions are rather demeaning when you consider what I have given to my hobby through the years.

There is only one thing that drives me and that is an insatiable passion for my hobby, numismatics. A passion I gladly share with those who have a love for my hobby. An unquenched passion I have enjoyed for over forty years. In fact the truth is under my name on every post I make.

I am happy to "cop it sweet" from a couple of people who do not know all the facts on either issue .. and that public debate I offered on whether the Griquatown tokens ever circulated or not has yet to be accepted by anyone. You might recall I first threw out the challenge FIVE YEARS AGO! September 2011 could be my last visit to South Africa, maybe that's a good thing for those who like to have their heads firmly entrenched in the sand.

What I do know is that a single token sold overnight for over R40,000 - a record for a South African token. If I was to make another prediction it is that, in years to come, when mainstream collectors wake up to the fact that pre-1900 trade tokens are as important as the ZAR series and infinitely more relevant to our hobby than the romanticised fables behind the Griquatown tokens these rare and unique trade tokens will sell for hundreds of thousands of rands.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

Cold Sea

Hi Scott,

I have now edited my earlier post so as not to demean your person.

Regards

Guest Guest

The Challenge

Thank you Derick.. and seeing that you are now being so cavalier; you mentioned in a post above that you had some concerns about the outcomes of the debate here on the BoB forum about the Griquatown token coins so why don't you take up the challenge and debate me in a public forum while I am in South Africa? You appear to be an expert on this subject - now is your chance.

If you are interested respond here and I will PM you my itinerary (which includes most major centres including - Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Bloemfontein and even Grahamstown.) You would have to make it on the day I am in that city and organise the venue etc.. obviously living in Australia and having a travel itinerary set months ago is a limiting factor for me.

It would be a pleasure, in front of your peers, to put your mind to rest over issues you suggest I did not answer fully on the forum.

PS Lets keep politics out of it - if you knew me you would know I despise politicians.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

qball

May I remind all of you that the forum is not to be used to fight personal battles or to be confrontational regardless of your opinions, beliefs or arguments. By all means debate issues but leave personal comments and ego's out of it. Should the thread continue along these lines I will close it and remove it completely from the forum.

Thank you

Cuan

HR_COINS

As a junior member of these forums it seems quite shocking that those members with the most knowledge on numismatics are the ones that squabble about petty things. I agree with the admin please dont post personal battles on these forums.