Sign in to follow this  
geejay50

Planchet error in Union Crown

geejay50

Hello Collectors,

I think all of you who have an interest in collecting Union Coins will agree that the Crowns are generally very well struck as coins go. The Mint really didnt make many mistakes in their striking, unlike some of the more modern Nickel issues where off centre strikes etc are really quite common.

I chanced upon a 1952 Crown in VF condition that had a ridge running diagonally across the face of the coin that was evident on both obverse and reverse sides giving old George VI a "Gum Boil" look where it seemed to cause a swelling on his jaw.The rigging of the sails of the East Indiaman were also distorted by this ridge in the original planchet.

Does anyone have any input on this error?

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

Guest Guest

Hi!

There is something imbedded in the coin metal... An Impurity - a foreign piece of hard metal. You can scan it...

Regards

Edmund...

PS

58f5a721cc39e_195220..jpg.5e7ea53b3b0b1bcb399b0d04dc4188a0.jpg

Please look at the outline of this imbedded piece of hard metal... It may be a piece of machine steel etc... But, it clearly oxidises! (Rusts) Maybe it's only on the surface? [Good picture - not too good picture to do this kind of work from.] Furthermore, look at the red circled areas... Look how well the presswork are there. Flawless! It's NOT a press fault. USE ZOOM PLEASE! (Right bottom on taskbar of I.E. Or "save as" and view with viewer; then zoom...)

The green circled area clearly shows you natural oxidation. (In red circled areas too.)

My humble sixpence to you. (It is like a Mc burger with a finger embedded in the patty...)

pencil.png

Edited by Edmund1000
PS

geejay50

Hello Edmund,

Thanks a lot for your very probable explanation. I cannot see any evidence of the piece of metal embedded on the surface with rust corrosion etc but it has to be close to the centre of this coin to make a bulge on both sides.

There hasnt been any other example of this reported on by the viewers so far .

Perhaps it is a unique example?

Geejay

Guest Guest
Hello Edmund,

Thanks a lot for your very probable explanation. I cannot see any evidence of the piece of metal embedded on the surface with rust corrosion etc but it has to be close to the centre of this coin to make a bulge on both sides.

There hasnt been any other example of this reported on by the viewers so far .

Perhaps it is a unique example?

Geejay

Hello Geejay

It is indeed very unique...You may have an extremely rare coin there... I cannot recall seeing anything like that in my life (Well, relatively very, very short one; compared to coin's history! LOL.) Would love to do a M.R. on that coin...

Wanna split it? LOL! Just pulling your leg. ~Smiles~

Rare? Indeed.

geejay50

Hi Edmund,

I think we have another example of similar ridging on a SA coin.

On latest Heritage Auction Lot No 24875 a 1977 Krugerrand described by PCGS as "Planchet Lamination"

The ridge is similar in shape but only shows on the Obverse.

This suggests that there was possibly a fault with the planchet upon which our crown was struck rather than an included foreign body.

I will try and include the pic

lf?source=url%5bfile%3aimages%2finetpub%2fnewnames%2f300%2f6%2f4%2f6%2f9%2f6469926.jpg%5d%2ccontinueonerror%5btrue%5d&scale=size%5b220x350%5d%2coptions%5blimit%5d&source=url%5bfile%3aimages%2finetpub%2fwebuse%2fno_image_available.gif%5d%2cif%5b%28%27global.source.error%27%29%5d&sink=preservemd%5btrue%5d

Geejay