Sign in to follow this  
LightHeart

New to selling stamps - Need help

LightHeart

Hi,

I recently found alot of stamps that my dad used to collect years ago. I am not a stamp collector and would like to sell them, however I do not know much about stamps. I have tried to sell some via the R1 auctions but nothing got sold. How do I go about knowing if the stamps that I have is valuable or not.

Your advice will be appreciated.

seahorsefanatic

Hi LightHeart

Welcome to the Forum. The best place to start is with a SACC catalogue ( South Africa Colour Catalogue ) for most of the stamps of Southern Africa and then other catalogues such as Michel, Stanley Gibbons and Scott which will cover the rest of the world. Have a look at the litrature for sale under "Stamps" on the BoB site. You can also visit the local stamp fairs in Gauteng which are held on Saturday mornings where you will be able to meet up with dealers and collectors.

At the end of the day you will need to get the knowledge via the litrature available as you do not want to oversate your prices as the items will not attract bids. The items that you have on at the moment ( weekend ) are fairly common and would not sell individually for more that R5 to R10. The rest of your material may well result in much better material. The more common material is best to sell in a collection or accumulation.

Hope this helps you.