Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Underage Buyers on BoB?

wayjen

A school book gets bid on and then the person asks a question so already we start to get suspicious that this person will cancel the bid. All goes well until a few minutes ago when we get an email FROM A 13 YEAR OLD saying they don't have a credit card but will send money through the post and we can then send them the book.

As I write this I am in 2 minds on what to do because firstly something is not right and secondly I feel sorry for this person if they are in fact a 13 year old and in need of the book.

We have forwarded the email to BoB.

lilythepink

This isn't a unique situation, Wayne, and that is why I worry so much about x-rated items suddenly appearing in the ordinary listings! We can just never be TOO careful when it comes to these things.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that no 13 year old should be placing bids without the seller knowing that the person is underage and, secondly, may have a problem paying for it. I'm not sure how BoB can overcome this problem but in your case you are lucky that it is a school book which is wanted and, if I were in your shoes, I would ask the child concerned if his/her parents know about the purchase and if, perhaps, they can't pay for it and he can give the money back to them? I would go the extra mile to help a child get a schoolbook but, then, my BoB selling is a hobby and not a business like yours!

wayjen

We have contacted the buyer informing them of the BB rules but we still wonder how they bypassed the screening.

lilythepink
We have contacted the buyer informing them of the BB rules but we still wonder how they bypassed the screening.

Perhaps used an older friend's (or relative's) account?

wayjen

possibly, and as much as I would like to send the book, if he/she is genuine, we cannot encourage this sort of activity.

lilythepink
possibly, and as much as I would like to send the book, if he/she is genuine, we cannot encourage this sort of activity.

I cannot agree more! You're handling the situation correctly.

kebs

I think I am more surprised by the fact that a 13 year old is actually spending their money on a textbook! I might send it for free just to encourage them with learning!! :toung:

wayjen
I think I am more surprised by the fact that a 13 year old is actually spending their money on a textbook! I might send it for free just to encourage them with learning!! :toung:

kebs, we tossing that thought about and would do it in a heart beat but if they are underage and on BoB we need to alert you guys and BoB themselves but then again they might just be con artists we don't know.

MacMuffin

It's almost impossible to validate a user. Any kid can take their parents credit card and go merely on a shopping-spree. While I would not be worried about the X-rated content on our site, I do question how parents do not watch over their childrens internet usage.

Most internet security products provide a "child" feature for safe-browsing and it would block access to sites like ours.

admin
14.2 Transactions in case of a minor

14.2.1 If you are under 18 years of age or if you are not legally permitted to enter into a binding and enforceable agreement, then you may not register as a user or make use of the services of bidorbuy, unless you are duly supervised by and you have obtained the consent of your parent or legal guardian or spouse.

14.2.2 If your parent or legal guardian supervises you and gives his/her consent, then such person hereby agrees to be bound and to be liable and responsible for you and for all your obligations or duties in terms of the agreement entered into between yourself and bidorbuy (Pty) Ltd.

14.2.3 We strictly reserve our rights to refuse our service, terminate/suspend your account or cancel orders, should bidorbuy, in our sole discretion find that you have failed for whatsoever reason to comply with the aforementioned provisions or the remaining provisions of these terms and conditions, without prejudice to any other rights that we may have at law.

14.2.4 To the extent that you utilize our services, we shall deem it that you were / are supervised by and that you have obtained the consent of your parent or legal guardian or curator or trustee. The onus to prove that you were not supervised or did obtain the requisite consent shall rest with you.

Terms And Conditions of This Site

wayjen

Thanks guys, I have not heard anything from the buyer yet but will see what happens later today.

lilythepink

Well I am so old that I believe (constantly) that I am under 18. Does this mean I have to stop buying on BoB, too? :blush:

KMartin

According to the Children’s Act (No 38 of 2005) which came into effect on 1 July 2007, a minor is someone under the age of 18 years. A minor who enters into a contract without the consent of the parents or guardian does not have to keep to the contract. But, if the minor says he or she is older than 18, then the person who entered into the contract with the minor can sue for damages.

I would contact the buyer, get the parents on the fone and ask them about the sale and if they would like to carry on with it.

wayjen

good idea.