Sign in to follow this  
Wild Olive Art

Beware of fake cosmetics

Wild Olive Art

I came across M.A.C make up for sale on Crazy Wed auctions - R1 for MAC cosmetics ? get real ! R250 International shipping and won't combine items !

That aside , I did a bit of research . M.A.C products are distributed only at authorized retail outlets ( as stated on the official M.A.C website)

Furthermore , M.A.C do not make / offer some of the products that this seller offers.

Once again , buyers on Bidorbuy are being conned by unscrupulous sellers listing fake products from Hong Kong !

Wholesale MAC Cosmetics - How to avoid purchasing fake cosmetics online

http://joannefaith.com/2010/02/01/spot-fake-mac-products/

eBay Guides - MAC brushes and brush sets, fake vs real authentic

lilythepink

Thanks for the warning, Wild Olive Art!

But I hope that Wayne is reading this - the fake stuff could affect his glass (crystal?) eye rather badly and then he won't even have hindsight!

BeadsandBaubles

Hope this thread doesn't put buyers of seller other 'cheaper' cosmetics from China, lol. I sell Xibei amongst others, and the company manufacturing it is one of the few not copying branded names, is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange and has strict quality control measures in place.

I see a lot of flak about "cheap" Chinese products when in fact there is so much coming out of China that is excellent quality but getting bad media because of the "copies". A lot of their cosmetics are fantastic, in fact they manufacture and "brand" under licence for some of the smaller cosmetic houses. Buyers should clue themselves as to what they are buying and should be invited to threads such as these for some clarity on what they are actually purchasing.

I have a friend who has just moved to China for a 2 year contract, and he is sending me some interesting and thought-provoking insights into the culture which I hope to be able to post a thread to in the near future.

Wild Olive Art

Hi BeadsandBaubles

I am sure it wont put buyers off other products .

I certainly for one am always on the look out for a bargain but I hate being sold fake goods. I have been caught out before and it's so frustrating discovering that you have paid for something that is an inferior replica of the real thing.

It would be very interesting to read some of the insight into the culture so I look forward to you posting a thread in the future.

BeadsandBaubles

Another product to be wary of is the "As Seen On TV" brand. There are hundreds of products being listed here under that website's name, and shame on me I listed something a few months ago, but honestly unaware that it was a fake. Luckily I discovered my mistake in time - but I still have some of those products and maar have to give them out to friends as freebies. Makes me wonder if some sellers may be innocently making the same mistake.

qball

Please report suspected "fake" products to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or use the "Spot a Problem" link on the item page to send the report to us.

Thank you

Cuan

Wild Olive Art
Another product to be wary of is the "As Seen On TV" brand. There are hundreds of products being listed here under that website's name, and shame on me I listed something a few months ago, but honestly unaware that it was a fake. Luckily I discovered my mistake in time - but I still have some of those products and maar have to give them out to friends as freebies. Makes me wonder if some sellers may be innocently making the same mistake.

I bought some of these " as seen on tv" products and started to wonder if they were rejects ! Some of them arrived without all the parts and none of them have instructions on how to use them .

One good example is the " pasta n more " thing . The one I received had no instruction so I went online to try find out how to use the thing. I then discovered that the authentic item differed quite a bit . The one I bought did not even have measurement markings on it - very frustrating !! I asked the seller if it was a reject product but never got a reply . I will no longer buy these as seen on tv products off Bidorbuy.

Wild Olive Art
Please report suspected "fake" products to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or use the "Spot a Problem" link on the item page to send the report to us.

Thank you

Cuan

Have done so Cuan but the items remain listed . I also sent links to prove that the items are probably fake .

It is really frustrating for buyers to discover good money has been spent on rubbish and I think if sellers are listing brand name products, Bidorbuy should request proof of authenticity . It really does not help just to ask the seller if the goods are genuine because most of them lie about it.

I am for one am becoming increasingly reluctant to by on BOB because I have been taken for a ride a few times now.

qball

I will look into it. Please understand, we are not experts in any field, nor can we monitor every single item listed on the site. If a seller supplies us with reasonable proof there is nothing further we can do. Some sellers have contacts with wholesalers and have sent us proof of purchase on goods, from reputable wholesalers. Whilst we may not get it right every time, should there be a compelling reason to take it further we will definitely investigate. However, please bear in mind we have no legal responsibility or obligation to verify the authenticity of any product listed on the site. Whilst it is regrettable that you have had some incidents on the site, these must be reported, and corroborated with proof from both buyer and seller. You do have rights under the law and these can be enforced should you choose to do so. Every individual also has a responsibility in reporting such issues to us, so we can act on them.