Sign in to follow this  
skoothondjie

Desperate For Advice: Sending from South Africa

skoothondjie

Please help!

I'm looking to send small packets/parcels overseas (particularly the USA) - weighing no more than 250grams - and being very small. Half the size of a fist to give you an idea. So, it's very small and very light.

I live in Warmbaths, Limpopo. Therefore, I think I have only three options:

1) SAPO

2) Postnet

3) DHL in affiliation with Postnet

I would like the cheapest option of the three. It has to be insured.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Seeds for Africa
Please help!

I'm looking to send small packets/parcels overseas (particularly the USA) - weighing no more than 250grams - and being very small. Half the size of a fist to give you an idea. So, it's very small and very light.

I live in Warmbaths, Limpopo. Therefore, I think I have only three options:

1) SAPO

2) Postnet

3) DHL in affiliation with Postnet

I would like the cheapest option of the three. It has to be insured.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Hi There

Welcome to the forum!

I send quite a few parcels intenationally. The cheapest option is to use the SAPO Small packet option and to register it for better protection. You are looking at a rate of R 25.95 per 100 grams plus a once off R23.95 to register it! Unfortunately with this option they dont offer insurance, though I have never lost 1 parcel sending it this way.

If you need insurance, the mailing rate is substantially more with SAPO. Get a booklet from your local post office as it varies depending on location. I have never used DHL or postnet, so cant offer comment there.

Bear in mind the maximum dimension may not exceed 600mm and in total (width plus length plus depth) may not exceed 900mm. Personally I find them very reliable. Expect your parcel to reach the US, Australia and UK within 21 days. Asia normally takes around 28 days.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Seeds for Africa
Added

skoothondjie

Hi there to you too and thank you so much for replying!

WOW. SAPO is cheap. But how do I explain the following to a US buyer. You're packet cannot be insured. It doesn't have tracking (I assume this is also the case). And it will reach you within 21 days. But at least it's cheap.

Sorry, but they will tell me to get lost.

I'm terribly sorry for my bitter tone. I've had it with poor service delivery. Ironically, I've been to my local post office and I came out more confused than when I came in.

Edited by skoothondjie

lilythepink

I regularly send parcels to Canada, sometimes ordinary seamail and sometimes registered. Not one has gone astray. I have also posted to the UK and Germany and all parcels sent through the SA post office have safely arrived at their destination.

Seeds for Africa
Hi there to you too and thank you so much for replying!

WOW. SAPO is cheap. But how do I explain the following to a US buyer. You're packet cannot be insured. It doesn't have tracking (I assume this is also the case). And it will reach you within 21 days. But at least it's cheap.

Sorry, but they will tell me to get lost.

I'm terribly sorry for my bitter tone. I've had it with poor service delivery. Ironically, I've been to my local post office and I came out more confused than when I came in.

It is a catch 22. I sell on an international auction site as well, and I use SAPO. Never had one go astray. You do get a registered mail tracking number, but it is not something you can track online. If the person doesnt get the item, you can go into SAPO and they will be able to confirm if it has or has not been signed for. Get the booklet which all post offices should have. I believe that it explains all the charges etc very clearly. One thing that you need to bear in mind with the post office, is that every post office seems to have their own rules.... I find that I often have to show the attendant at the post office the book when they differ from what is policy and clear in the book over what they think the policy is. If you want it insured you will have to use a courier. Just do a simple google. DHL are not the only guys out there and YOU WILL find cheaper reputable couriers. I am pretty sure that even living in a small town that there will be agents for most couriers within your reach.

I hope that helps a bit.

skoothondjie
It is a catch 22. I sell on an international auction site as well, and I use SAPO. Never had one go astray. You do get a registered mail tracking number, but it is not something you can track online. If the person doesnt get the item, you can go into SAPO and they will be able to confirm if it has or has not been signed for. Get the booklet which all post offices should have. I believe that it explains all the charges etc very clearly. One thing that you need to bear in mind with the post office, is that every post office seems to have their own rules.... I find that I often have to show the attendant at the post office the book when they differ from what is policy and clear in the book over what they think the policy is.

Thanks. Yes, I've noticed that every post office seems to have its own rules regarding shipping. I have the booklet. I worked out a fee and wrote down package options before I went to the post office. I was prepared. But the options weren't the same - even the names differed. And to top it off - there's only one parcel teller (seriously!). So, when you take more than 5 min on an inquiry people get irritated behind you in line. So, I don't think I'll be using SAPO. I will lose my mind if I do.

So, one less option for me to consider.

Edited by skoothondjie

skoothondjie

If you want it insured you will have to use a courier. Just do a simple google. DHL are not the only guys out there and YOU WILL find cheaper reputable couriers. I am pretty sure that even living in a small town that there will be agents for most couriers within your reach.

Yes, I will find cheaper reputable couriers with a google search. But then I'll have to drive to the nearest branch (and that's in the city) to have a parcel sent.

skoothondjie

Latest report:

I took a chance on the post office. Shipped a small packet (90 gram) to Canada. Insurance isn't available. But you can register it! Then, it can be tracked and has so-called SDR (Special Drawing Rights) of R330 in case of loss or damage.

I paid just over R118. So, it's actually very affordable.