Sign in to follow this  
MacMuffin

Your terms & conditions and listings

MacMuffin

Looking through listings nowadays, I notice more and more that sellers dominate theirs listings with terms & conditions. This is understandable at the moment, as there is no separate section for T&C's.

Very soon we will launch our mobile offering and the majority of those listings will not be viewable on a mobile device (i.e. T&Cs are images) and we would have to disqualify those listings from our mobile channel.

As such I would like to discuss an enhancement to the way we show T&Cs in future to make the trade-description about the listed item. A thought would be to allow the seller to capture his T&C's once-off (think payment options) and the T&C's will be displayed in a separate section on the listing.

During checkout and as part of the confirmation email to buyers we would inform the buyer that the purchase is bound to the sellers T&Cs (provided that those are reasonable and comply with bidorbuy's and the CPA policies).

In order to get this right first time, do you agree that you would need one set of T&C's for all items or do you feel it is necessary to have T&C's for different item types (I would think this might become really confusing for everyone).

With this in mind we should arrive at the following:

- A clean trade description with out the legal speak and the "thou shalt not..."

- Shipping and payment options which are clear and concise without re-iterating T&C's

- Avoidance (some seller do this) of using prompts to get the buyer to accept terms

What are your thoughts on this?

Vinyl Lady Decals

Brilliant idea - we definitely need this.

But, I think we do need to have different T&C's for different types of items, it might just be one small change according to that item - but I would prefer to be able to set it like we currently do for shipping.

Many of us sell different types of items and as such there could be different terms. It would be better than having a long T&C to cover every possibly scenario for every type of item

wayjen

Evening all, why T & C at checkout and not before they bid? Can you not have a blanket T&C for BoB and we all be covered under that?

Guest Guest

Hi, I second this idea of MacMuffin fully. BTW my terms are text but lots of users have images it is true. that will need to be stopped. it should be typed out in text format to fit in the form. making a decision about different t n c's or one only is extremely difficult. try and find a midway. the solution is: ...... diff TnCs, but so fantasticly and expertly managed, that it is very user friendly. think of.... product classes. if each item can belong to a product class, it can belong to a [terms and condition subset] class. there can also even be a default class for "most" items by default and a few ones for certain items. think voetstoots and as is. i can't put those terms by new or unc items. think bigger and you will find more

Edited by icey100
correction

Seeds for Africa
Looking through listings nowadays, I notice more and more that sellers dominate theirs listings with terms & conditions. This is understandable at the moment, as there is no separate section for T&C's.

Very soon we will launch our mobile offering and the majority of those listings will not be viewable on a mobile device (i.e. T&Cs are images) and we would have to disqualify those listings from our mobile channel.

As such I would like to discuss an enhancement to the way we show T&Cs in future to make the trade-description about the listed item. A thought would be to allow the seller to capture his T&C's once-off (think payment options) and the T&C's will be displayed in a separate section on the listing.

During checkout and as part of the confirmation email to buyers we would inform the buyer that the purchase is bound to the sellers T&Cs (provided that those are reasonable and comply with bidorbuy's and the CPA policies).

In order to get this right first time, do you agree that you would need one set of T&C's for all items or do you feel it is necessary to have T&C's for different item types (I would think this might become really confusing for everyone).

With this in mind we should arrive at the following:

- A clean trade description with out the legal speak and the "thou shalt not..."

- Shipping and payment options which are clear and concise without re-iterating T&C's

- Avoidance (some seller do this) of using prompts to get the buyer to accept terms

What are your thoughts on this?

This is an excellent idea. One set of terms would suit for all my listings. I need the space in the body of the advert for my products and not the terms.

lilythepink
Evening all, why T & C at checkout and not before they bid? Can you not have a blanket T&C for BoB and we all be covered under that?

I'm voting with Wayne on his suggestion!

brands online

Hi Mac, an excellent idea and certainly lacking, but I think there would be the need for multiple terms and conditions. As Tananka mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes different types of items require a different set of condions, perhaps having 'product classes' and each item can then be allocated a product class by the seller. The various product classes would then display the sellers terms and conditions on the listing for that specific product class only. Product classes could be limited to about 5. I personally don't see the need for more "different" seller's terms and conditions than that. Maybe different colours or colour headings for the various product classes would also be an idea.

wayjen
I'm voting with Wayne on his suggestion!

If a buyer is allowed to delete his or have his bid deleted before the fall of the hammer then we should have T&C's in place before they get to that stage of the auction. Once they end up at the last stage of the bid they should be secure in their minds that they want the item.

brands online

Hi wayjen, I think Mac's post reads the seller's T&C's will be displayed on the listing just in a more standardized format in a section like Shipping Charges are currently displayed. if I understand correctly, the email from BOB at checkout would just include them reminding the buyer that they're bound by these conditions.

I do however fully agree with you that if the 'placing of a bid is an acceptance of all the conditions' be displayed at the time of bid placement, and also that perhaps BOB includes in their terms and conditions that registration means buyers will comply with seller's terms and conditions as well as long, as Mac mentioned, (provided that those are reasonable and comply with bidorbuy's and the CPA policies).

Edited by brands online
full + y = fully

wayjen

Thanks Brands Online.

Cali Craft and Gems

I for one have my T&C's inserted into each of my listings as an image. This image is saved on Photobucket so if the terms change (which won't for a very long time), then I just need update the image on PB and all my listings have the latest info in one shot. After many years of "practice" I have found this to be the best solution.

Also, if the info is in the main body of the listing, chances are that the buyer will actually read the info. I find that 95% of the time that buyers do NOT read the inserts below the listing (shipping, payment) and as such I am inundated with endless queries about stuff that is there in front of them clear as day!

I've made our info simple and straight forward explaining simply our Payment Options, Payment Terms, Shipping Options, Shipping Terms and Returns Policy. If only everything was as easy as this T&C image!

lilythepink
Is my post invisible?

No, icey. You haven't quite melted yet! :sneaky: Thank goodness!

LikeNeedWant

I haven't actually implemented this yet. Over the last few days I've actually been thinking about T&Cs in context of the CPA and my feeling on this is that the CPA is trying to encourage (I don't want to use the word enforce) a balanced approach to T&Cs - the first step being 'plain language', but also a way of bringing an end to seller biased terms. My new T&C are very balanced (I feel), if a little customer-centric, and as such is no longer a document that needs to be accepted before proceeding with a transaction (I only list Buy Now, no Auctions), but more a document that now informs the customer of what their rights are, within certain boundries. As such I am going to be editing my BoB T&C to be very brief and to the point, and after each sale I will email the more comprehensive document to the customer for their records - I don't believe there is anything in my T&C that is detrimental to the customer pre or post sale. I believe that in the run up to the implementation of the CPA all the focus was on business and how they need to adapt, but nobody bothered explaining to the customer what their rights are now, and my T&C go some way in explaining that.

That said - what MacMuffin mentioned is a brilliant idea. With some sellers running both Buy Now and Auctions I think there is a need possibly for multiple T&C, along the lines of what Icey100 mentioned. If that isn't possible then only one T&C which the seller needs to ensure addresses their various differing T&C (e.g. Main Terms & Conditions and within that - Terms applicable to xyz items, Terms applicable to abc items, etc.).

Virgotec

Great idea MacMuffin.

SProducts

brilliant idea, it will make it faster to update your terms instead of doing them for each listing.