Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Foreign Exchange Payment Catch 22

Guest Guest

Quick one: Lady bid on 2 DVDs and won, checking out and soma paying 15 Euros into my SA Bank account, thinking that 15 Euros would cover the R140 odd rand order total. It did. But she never told me or asked me before paying that she stays in the Netherlands.

Then I saw a R72 Sundry charge on my bank statement. Went to bank. There is in fact a R72 flat rate for amounts under 2 Grand to convert foreign currency to rands, although someone over the phone told me that the conversion is free of charge. I didn't expect a charge, but I luckily didn't tell the lady it's free, neither did I say there was a charge. What do I tell the lady? If she sends me my R72 expense it will all be eaten up by the charges again, so should she send R144, to make it fair? R144-72=72.

Any ideas people?

Edited by icey100
grammar+ extra info relevant

Wild Olive Art

This is a bit of a tough one if you have not stipulated that your terms are for South African buyers only. What about the shipping costs ? The postage to the Netherlands is going to cost a lot more than local postage .

Guest Guest

Hi B :smile1:

I do ship international also for R30 first item and R10 each additional item, as my items are mostly small and fit into this pricing range. The thing is not the postage I'm happy with that the thing is the clearing charge thingie and I'm worried the lady won't want to pay it

icey:smile1:

Seeds for Africa
Hi B :smile1:

I do ship international also for R30 first item and R10 each additional item, as my items are mostly small and fit into this pricing range. The thing is not the postage I'm happy with that the thing is the clearing charge thingie and I'm worried the lady won't want to pay it

icey:smile1:

Hi Ivan

I think that you will have an issue getting her to pay this as effectively she will have to pay the R144 so that you get 72. I wouldnt offer international transfers for less than R 1 000. Offer Paypal and Moneybookers. Most people who trade on the internet have one or the other.

If it was me, I would bite the bullet on this one and not go back to her. I would write the R72 off to "school fees".

cheers

Grant

Vinyl Lady Decals

Yes, I agree on this one, international can be difficult.

Its definitely a lesson learned.

lilythepink

Icey, we've all paid "school fees" along the way on BoB! I agree that this is rather an expensive lesson but, yes, I would also just write it off and put a warning under your shipping fees that they are in SA only and "overseas should please enquire" and you can then inform them of the expensive bank charges which will be applicable.

BeadsandBaubles

Hi

I've just had the same experience but with a SA buyer who placed 2 separate orders and paid via Cash Deposit on both, without paying the extra R16.50 fee on each one. I am now short of R33.00 - should she now make another payment of R33 via Cash Dep, she will have to pay in another R16.50 extra. Oh man, I wish these people would just learn to read - my t&c's state that I only accept EFT. Sometimes I just feel like ripping my hair out in frustration! Worst is going to explain that if she doesn't pay in the extra I'll have to refund her minus the R33 deducted from my account. One of the cash deposits was for R1.30, lol for which I have to fork out R16.50.

Eish!!!!

Guest Guest
Hi

I've just had the same experience but with a SA buyer who placed 2 separate orders and paid via Cash Deposit on both, without paying the extra R16.50 fee on each one. I am now short of R33.00 - should she now make another payment of R33 via Cash Dep, she will have to pay in another R16.50 extra. Oh man, I wish these people would just learn to read - my t&c's state that I only accept EFT. Sometimes I just feel like ripping my hair out in frustration! Worst is going to explain that if she doesn't pay in the extra I'll have to refund her minus the R33 deducted from my account. One of the cash deposits was for R1.30, lol for which I have to fork out R16.50.

Eish!!!!

Geez Beads I feel your pain, will the spaza buyers ever leave?