Sign in to follow this  
Digitrade

100% Ratings with a Negative?

RAG Auctioneers

Hacksorz :-)

MsPlod

The system rounds off to the nearest 10, so 99.996 automatically becomes 100%...

Tony is meticulous in keeping clients happy and ensuring that things are OK...

Edited by MsPlod

MrAerospace

With this fellow's ratings he sounds to be 100%. Only one negative in so many items sold - fantastic.

brands online

I agree, it takes alot to keep 100% positive ratings. I do have a query though. This seller doesn't combine and charges full shipping on all items. We charge a discounted rate when combining, whatever that may be, yet our charges have been questioned by BOB? And 3% on insurance is being charged with no hoohaa over it. Lends new meaning to the word 'untouchables'.

admin
I agree, it takes alot to keep 100% positive ratings. I do have a query though. This seller doesn't combine and charges full shipping on all items. We charge a discounted rate when combining, whatever that may be, yet our charges have been questioned by BOB? And 3% on insurance is being charged with no hoohaa over it. Lends new meaning to the word 'untouchables'.

Hi brands online,

You will not believe me when I tell you how many reports are received about the insurance against the seller. Fact of the matter is that he uses in-house insurance at 3%, not SAPO, that also covers breakage.

Might have something to do with his good ratings :idea:

p.s. Apology accepted for your last sentence :razz:

Seeds for Africa
Hi brands online,

You will not believe me when I tell you how many reports are received about the insurance against the seller. Fact of the matter is that he uses in-house insurance at 3%, not SAPO, that also covers breakage.

Might have something to do with his good ratings :idea:

p.s. Apology accepted for your last sentence :razz:

Hi

Does that mean he self insures? Or does he have an insurance company who covers all his items mailed? I would love to know, as so far I have had more issues with breakages which sapo doesnt cover then with theft.

Would be interested to know. If I could ship all my items fully insured against loss and damage at 3% I would.

With regards the shipping query raised by brandsonline. There is ABSOLUTELY overcharging on shipping on bob, and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. It wouldnt be fair to point fingers at one person as it is widespread. According to Qballs reply to me they do penalise sellers for it. Personally I dont get irritated about it anymore. Its here to stay, and so be it. As a buyer I just avoid buying from people who dont have fair shipping charges. At the end of the day, it is Bob's business I feel as to what they are prepared to accept and what they arent when it comes to sellers shipping charges. I am not convinced Bob need to explain why they allow sellers to charge what they do for shipping.

Thanks

Grant

Edited by Seeds for Africa
Added

brands online

Hi Admin,

Thanks for that! I didn't know one could offer "in-house" insurance. Was always under the impression it is against the law to offer insurance if not an approved financial services provider. I think I'll also offer "in-house" insurance and charge 3 or 4% insurance and cover against "breakages". Would certainly be easier to keep positive ratings.

Also thinking about not combining items and charging full price on postages. My brother says he'll gladly be my pick-up service. I have 32 negative ratings from just 2 buyers for postages advertised and accepted beforehand. My discounted rate on postage saved the 2 buyers close to R500. Rather, had I used a "pick-up" service, the total of the items would have been way more, but according to this, that would have been ok and I might have had those ratings removed. As it stands, my "discounted" rate is a problem. Hence, no apology offered... It only lends credence to double standards and "untouchables" :toung:

Edited by brands online

admin
Hence, no apology offered...

Hey, it was already accepted, you can not retract it now :biggrin: Apologies, I used the wrong wording, he uses a pickup service company, my bad. Ek het nie kaans gehad om die woordeboek te gryp om die verskil te kyk nie.

Grant, I can not recall the name of the pickup service company, maybe ask him in one of his Q&A's.

Cheers

Andries

brands online
Hey, it was already accepted, you can not retract it now :biggrin: Apologies, I used the wrong wording, he uses a pickup service company, my bad. Ek het nie kaans gehad om die woordeboek te gryp om die verskil te kyk nie.

Grant, I can not recall the name of the pickup service company, maybe ask him in one of his Q&A's.

Cheers

Andries

:smile: Agh Andries, c'mon now. Pick-up service company or not, they would charge per box. So why then no combining and all items postages to be paid in full. I can get my brother to open a company too. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the seller here. I'm just pointing out the double standards that DO exist. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, and BOB condones these practices by this seller, but not by others...

Ten little items from this seller would cost in the region of R400 postage. It's okay cos a pick-up service is being used? Tell you what, I'll re-render

the perceived apology if anyone can tell me how that's not a double-standard...

Edited by brands online

brands online
Hi brands online,

btw, 3% Insurance is being charged on ALL options of shipment, SAPO included:

SHIPPING OPTIONS

Option1: Door to Door (RELIABLE)to selected areas ONLY. PLEASE ENQUIRE LOW RATES (1a) NORMAL or (1b) OVER NIGHT

Option 2: Post Office: (NOT 100% GUATANTEED) (2a) R 45.00 NORMAL 5-28 days or (2b) R 80.00 within 48 working hours

INSURANCE highly recommended. For peace of mind add 3% of the value of goods when paying for the item. Insurance covers loss & damage to items.

Seeds for Africa

I am not sticking up for bob here - cuan or admin. I have also been guilty of asking a lot of questions that I am sure must irritate them. The point I am making is at the end of the day its their business, and whilst they involve the community, they do have the final say at the end of the day. They have the right to run their business the way they see fit.

Again, I am not having a personal attack on any seller at all because I believe that the practice of profitting on shipping is widespread, so to single out one seller would be unfair as he would be one of many indulging in the same practice.

I saw a seller selling something that weighs 50 grams at most for R 49 shipping. This seller combines at R 20 per item. If I buy 10 of these, I will be paying R229 shipping on something that costs R 19.30 to post (obviously there are other cost like packaging, your time, your costs to getting to the post office, your time at the post office etc etc). The seller would say that they are saving the buyer R29 each on the 9 items that are being combined or R261. But you end up with R 229 to cover the shipping of a package that the post office charges R 19.30 to mail. There is nothing else to call the excess between what it has cost to pack and ship the item and what you get from the seller other than profit.

My comments to the wikipedia definition in red.

Profit (accounting)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In accounting, profit can be considered to be the difference between the purchase price (That would be what the buyer is paying the seller for shipping)and the costs (That would include what you pay the post office, your packaging materials, cost of going to the post office and your time at the post office) of bringing to market whatever it is that is accounted as an enterprise (whether by harvest, extraction, manufacture, or purchase) in terms of the component costs of delivered goods and/or services and any operating or other expenses.

I will take this one step further. From an accounting perspective, the treatment of the transaction above would result in a surplus over what it cost to ship the item and what was received from the buyer for shipping. Where does that end up???? Retained profit! Whilst I am an accountant I could be considered as being biased here so my challenge would be for anyone to get a recognised firm of Accountants to dispute my take on this? Anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by Seeds for Africa
Added

brands online
I am not sticking up for bob here - cuan or admin. I have also been guilty of asking a lot of questions that I am sure must irritate them. The point I am making is at the end of the day its their business, and whilst they involve the community, they do have the final say at the end of the day. They have the right to run their business the way they see fit.

Again, I am not having a personal attack on any seller at all because I believe that the practice of profiting on shipping is widespread, so to single out one seller would be unfair as he would be one of many indulging in the same practice.

I saw a seller selling something that weighs 50 grams at most for R 49 shipping. This seller combines at R 20 per item. If I buy 10 of these, I will be paying R229 shipping on something that costs R 19.30 to post (obviously there are other cost like packaging, your time, your costs to getting to the post office, your time at the post office etc etc). The seller would say that they are saving the buyer R29 each on the 9 items that are being combined or R261. But you end up with R 229 to cover the shipping of a package that the post office charges R 19.30 to mail. There is nothing else to call the excess between what it has cost to pack and ship the item and what you get from the seller other than profit.

I will take this one step further. From an accounting perspective, the treatement of the transaction above would result in a surplus over what it cost to ship the item and what was received from the buyer for shipping. Where does that end up???? Retained profit! Whilst I am an accountant I could be considered as being biased here so my challenge would be for anyone to get a recognised firm of Accountants to dispute my take on this? Anyone up for the challenge?

Whilst I agree with you on some points, the fact-of-matter is what sellers charge for shipping should be their concern alone as that is their business. Also, a seller can make a profit on packaging and handling of the items. Items don't just wrap themselves. If a seller charges "exhorbitant" shipping charges, the normal course of action of any sane buyer would be to avoid that seller, resulting in the seller being forced to lower their shipping charges to within reason. If they choose not to, no-one buys from them.

However, the question here, is not shipping charges. That is a rollercoster ride that never stops! The question I've posed is why there are obvious "double standards" here on BOB. Why is it that some sellers as per below get preferential treatment when it comes to things like shipping, insurance, etc.

kebs

I've bought from the spyguy before - he uses a service to collect parcels & post them, so I assume that's what they charge him for insurance - probably 2% for the post office & 1% for their insurance coverage. Also, although there's no combining, probably because of the size of the items, I have been sent an invoice with reduced costs, so there is some form of combining..

brands online
I've bought from the spyguy before - he uses a service to collect parcels & post them, so I assume that's what they charge him for insurance - probably 2% for the post office & 1% for their insurance coverage. Also, although there's no combining, probably because of the size of the items, I have been sent an invoice with reduced costs, so there is some form of combining..

Again, please, i'm not attacking spyguy at all. If anything as I've said before, well done on the 100% positive ratings. It takes alot to keep that up.

The fact does however still remain that sellers who do combine, offer a "reduced cost" upfront and are penalised or confronted by BOB about it, yet sellers who can't package 10 knives for example in one parcel are not. And I can't agree on the size of the items thing, as more than 90% of the items listed are easily combined and not fragile either.

Seeds for Africa
Whilst I agree with you on some points, the fact-of-matter is what sellers charge for shipping should be their concern alone as that is their business. Also, a seller can make a profit on packaging and handling of the items. Items don't just wrap themselves. If a seller charges "exhorbitant" shipping charges, the normal course of action of any sane buyer would be to avoid that seller, resulting in the seller being forced to lower their shipping charges to within reason. If they choose not to, no-one buys from them.

However, the question here, is not shipping charges. That is a rollercoster ride that never stops! The question I've posed is why there are obvious "double standards" here on BOB. Why is it that some sellers as per below get preferential treatment when it comes to things like shipping, insurance, etc.

I am fully aware of the associated costs, which I did highlight in my post. My point is that Bob has a policy that sellers should not profit on shipping, yet it does happen. having said that I wont comment further, as you rightly point out I may be off topic here. Will possibly open a new thread so that this is on topic and in the right place!

brands online
I am fully aware of the associated costs, which I did highlight in my post. My point is that Bob has a policy that sellers should not profit on shipping, yet it does happen. having said that I wont comment further, as you rightly point out I may be off topic here. Will possibly open a new thread so that this is on topic and in the right place!

Apologies, after reading my reply to your post again, I just realised it does seem a bit inflammatory. That was not the intention nor the objective. :oops:

Seeds for Africa

No offense taken at all! Healthy debate is great and yes..... I was off topic.

Cheers

Grant