Sign in to follow this  
brands online

Administration Debit Total?

Guest MacMuffin
thanks Mac, Morning Mac.

Pleasure and good morning to the start of autumn (or judging from how cold/windy it got, hell freezing over???)

wayjen

hot down this end but maybe I am in hell already.

lilythepink

It's chilly in Grahamstown - warm day but chilly wind! And the nights are becoming increasingly colder! (Wayne would need Pam's help with the bowls to keep him warm!)

RAG Auctioneers

Hi Mac.

Here is one

Order number: 3689592

I see he underpaid and then made a top-up payment.

Maybe that is why the system got confused?

Guest MacMuffin
We have guys emailing us saying they got an email from BOB stating they have over paid R16-50.

But they paid by cash deposit.....

2 emails this week already.

Yes - the problem is that the buyer selects bobPay EFT as part of the checkout and then does a cash-deposit and adds the R16.50 as part of the payment. Our reconciliation process expects R 500.00, but we receive R516.50 - hence the somewhat misleading email to buyers.

Seeds for Africa
I am in absolute agreement with Wayne as I try to charge my buyers as little postage as I possibly can. It is only when items are over 1 kg that I charge more, or when I have a larger or heavier item for sale that the postage/shipping is a bit more than usual. I think it's an absolute rip-off for sellers to add R15.00 (and even more!) more per additional item when a parcel will be less than 1 kg!

Agreed. I am not getting worked up over this anymore as some sellers are profiting on shipping and it will never be addressed. I just avoid buying from them. There are enough good sellers tthat charge fair rates to get anything you need on bob. I spend a lot on my packing, and still think I offer it at a fair price.

Cali Craft and Gems

Perhaps a suggestion to the IT side of things - when completing the order, where the buyer has to click BoBPayEFT for the banking information, is there a way that the buyer can select BoBPay CASH deposit which automatically adds the R16.50 to the total that is due? Thus when the BoBPay CASH deposit is selected, the banking information will show the amount that is due along with the banking details and reference code...

This should alleviate many hassles as I don't know how many buyer's have contacted me for the banking information for a cash deposit, not realising that if they click BoBPayEFT the same info will be supplied to them for EFT or cash deposit.

meeks
Agreed. I am not getting worked up over this anymore as some sellers are profiting on shipping and it will never be addressed. I just avoid buying from them. There are enough good sellers tthat charge fair rates to get anything you need on bob. I spend a lot on my packing, and still think I offer it at a fair price.

I sell craft items -Bead kits. All my kits weigh over 1kg, in most instances, the weight touches the 2kg mark, and over, and my postage is R40 per kit, if 2 kits are purchased by the same buyer, I charge R15 for the second kit to be combined. If a kit is shell/freshwater pearls, obviously I charge lower postage R30-R35. In some instances, depending on what is sold, I charge R20-R25

Kits are very well packed,using ziplock bags, lots of bubblewrap (after all, buyers expect Glass beads and not glass chips to arrive)- Then free gifts,and special little things like Swarovski, pendants and free gifts, are put into pretty little organza bags-also bubble wrapped.Then I tape up the box, wrap it in brown paper, tape the brown paper thoroughly, so the corners of the box does not get damaged in transit. So would my postage charges be excessive as described above? I do not make a profit from postage charges, but have noticed some sellers charge exorbitant postage, on one single item.

Cali Craft and Gems

In reply to Meeks' entry, I charge a flat rate for postage with zero combining fee (granted it is R40 up to 1kg), but the amount of secure packaging makes up the price. Plastic bags, lots of bubblewrap, brown envelopes, padded envelopes or boxes, brown paper, tape, etc. Most times I wonder if my buyer's ever curse me sometimes when trying to open or unwrap a parcel from me...

And I must add that this is the first year since I started on BoB that I've had to increase my shipping prices - all previous years I've absorbed the increase, but can't any longer. Econoparcel went up by R2 and speed services took a R7 jump but only due to the 9.8% increase slapped on by the SAPO!

wayjen

The problem is not so much what YOU charge for postage, but what THE BUYER wants to pay for postage. We have a glass butter dish up for R40 and a buyer wants to pay R50 including postage. I think I should ask the buyer to send me a self addressed envelope to put the dish in.

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Wayjen - I can agree with you that it is utterly frustrating!

Buyers just don't understand or accept that the SAPO will never send a parcel without a tracking number and econoparcel is the cheapest method for a small parcel with tracking!

meeks
In reply to Meeks' entry, I charge a flat rate for postage with zero combining fee (granted it is R40 up to 1kg), but the amount of secure packaging makes up the price. Plastic bags, lots of bubblewrap, brown envelopes, padded envelopes or boxes, brown paper, tape, etc. Most times I wonder if my buyer's ever curse me sometimes when trying to open or unwrap a parcel from me...

And I must add that this is the first year since I started on BoB that I've had to increase my shipping prices - all previous years I've absorbed the increase, but can't any longer. Econoparcel went up by R2 and speed services took a R7 jump but only due to the 9.8% increase slapped on by the SAPO!

Hi Cali,

I have bought from you before, and yes, I know how well you pack as well (I have had to use a craft knife to open your parcel once). As for my combining fee, I only do that for kits,because, if a buyer buys two kits from me at the same time, the combined weight of the parcel would then exceed 3kg, touching 4kg many times, and at R40 postage for a parcel of that weight, would be shooting myself in the foot., but there are occasions when I advertise "if a 2nd kit is purchased, combining is free, then I cover the extra. However, I am now a bit concerned,Wayne does say the question is not what the seller charges, but what the buyer wants to pay, so, as postage charges go where bead kits are concerned, should I review my charges i.r.o. the R15 combining fee for a second kit? (1-2kg in weight) or is it in line with packaging included?.Keeping in mind, the first kit is charged at R40, even though it does weigh well over 1kg?Do I carry on this way? or not?

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Meeks - personally I think charging R40 shipping fee on a bead kit is a steal considering all the additional packaging and wrapping material that goes into the parcel. So to charge per additional kit into the same parcel is to be expected - look at it as a discounted shipping rate per beading kit unless the buyer would prefer each kit sent separately each with it's own shipping fee!?!?

I've had several noobies ask me recently about the combining of items and I've explained that it is up to them if they want each item posted separately at one shipping fee per parcel, but my recommendation to them is to combine into one parcel as it saves them plenty of money in the long run!

brands online
Hi, was just having a look at my account summary page. there's a transaction there that's new. It says Administration Debit Total and it's for R0.50. Anyone know what this is for please? Thanks

Have gotten a reply from BOB as per below:

"Thank you for your email. I have spoken to our accounts department, the reason why you were charged is because you sold 1 item on the site and the other you did offside trading, they picked this up, please note that we do monitor the sellers accounts in this regard."

I'm assuming "offside" trading means "off-site" trading. I have requested further detail regarding the debit and have no problem paying any success fees due. Probably a buyer who bought an item on auction and wanted a second one of it included in their parcel. We have buyers who purchase something and then also want something else. We encourage them to purchase on the BOB site under a BUY NOW but have often had buyers reluctant to do that, for whatever reason that may be including our listed BUY NOW price might be more than the price won on auction and yet something we'd accept.

Two things, shouldn't we be informed if such or any other irregular debit takes place? And secondly, are we not allowed to sell anything off-site without paying BOB success fees? I mean, if a buyer buys something from me on BOB, comes to collect it and buys something else, is that an off-site sale and do I have to pay success fees on that? I'm finding a grey area here...

Seeds for Africa
Have gotten a reply from BOB as per below:

"Thank you for your email. I have spoken to our accounts department, the reason why you were charged is because you sold 1 item on the site and the other you did offside trading, they picked this up, please note that we do monitor the sellers accounts in this regard."

I'm assuming "offside" trading means "off-site" trading. I have requested further detail regarding the debit and have no problem paying any success fees due. Probably a buyer who bought an item on auction and wanted a second one of it included in their parcel. We have buyers who purchase something and then also want something else. We encourage them to purchase on the BOB site under a BUY NOW but have often had buyers reluctant to do that, for whatever reason that may be including our listed BUY NOW price might be more than the price won on auction and yet something we'd accept.

Two things, shouldn't we be informed if such or any other irregular debit takes place? And secondly, are we not allowed to sell anything off-site without paying BOB success fees? I mean, if a buyer buys something from me on BOB, comes to collect it and buys something else, is that an off-site sale and do I have to pay success fees on that? I'm finding a grey area here...

Hi Brandsonline.

I personally dont like the tone of their mail to you at all. It is in a way accusing you of doing something that they have been "smart" enough to pick up. I think bob need to understand that buyers do add to orders, and as much as we sellers urge them to, they dont always process the 2nd order. What do bob want us to do when this happens. Send them an email so they can process the transaction manually?

Personally if a buyer comes to you and sees something else that they want - are you going to inconvenience the buyer and tell them that they can only buy from you through bob. Definitely not.

I think bob do a fantastic job (often without much thanks)... sure there are minor problems from time to time but who doesnt have problems. I am all for bob eraning all that is due to them (where else can you rent a shop for 5% with all the value added services?) but at times it is impractical to "force" a buyer who found you through bob to do all future sales through bob.

I prefer sales going through bob as so much easier with all of the great sellers tools.

Thanks

qball

Hi Brands

Yes, that would mean off site trading... :sad:

The buyer sent you a note, to include 2 items and thus paid for 2 using the bobpay system (even though he only bought 1 from you), it would only be fair that we receive commission on this sale, as the buyer came to you via bidorbuy, contacted you via bidorbuy and used the bidorbuy system to facilitate a further purchase.

You can view any debits on your account and reason therefore via your Account area, by doing a Detailed View. The site is built on honesty and trust and we do frown upon users trying to conclude additional purchases via the site, in an attempt to either avoid success fees or to buy additional items, after all, if it wasn't for bidorbuy, the sale would not have taken place... the example you give does provide a grey area, but technically we can't do anything about that. But in this instance it was done via the system... so we do monitor that... :ninja:

Hope this answers your question? Pity you didn't let us know... after all 50c is 50c and they all add up... :biggrin:

Regards

Cuan

brands online

Hi q-ball, thanks for the prompt response. As mentioned in my previous post, I don't have a problem with the commission. As you rightly pointed out, it is only fair to BOB that all items sold on the site are charged for. Had we wanted to avoid being detected in any way, the buyer would have been encouraged to do a direct EFT to us. We have had occassions where buyers wanted items and BUY Now's on BOB were opened to facilitate them.

Our detailed transaction list includes thousands of items. Perhaps a link to detail of the various charges on the summary page could be considered? Having to find this now means going through pages and pages of detailed transactions.

And you're quite right, all the 50c's do add up. That's why i queried in the first place.:wink:

brands online
Hi Brandsonline.

I personally dont like the tone of their mail to you at all. It is in a way accusing you of doing something that they have been "smart" enough to pick up. I think bob need to understand that buyers do add to orders, and as much as we sellers urge them to, they dont always process the 2nd order. What do bob want us to do when this happens. Send them an email so they can process the transaction manually?

Personally if a buyer comes to you and sees something else that they want - are you going to inconvenience the buyer and tell them that they can only buy from you through bob. Definitely not.

I think bob do a fantastic job (often without much thanks)... sure there are minor problems from time to time but who doesnt have problems. I am all for bob eraning all that is due to them (where else can you rent a shop for 5% with all the value added services?) but at times it is impractical to "force" a buyer who found you through bob to do all future sales through bob.

I prefer sales going through bob as so much easier with all of the great sellers tools.

Thanks

Hi Gamu,

I do agree the tone may be a bit harsh, but I can handle that. We're all not masters of language. Besides, BOB didn't throw an accusation of misconduct at me, nor did they disable my account or even give me a warning. they do also need to look after their interests after all. Perhaps a better approach though would have been a simple mail informing me of the charge and the reasons therefore, so we might be able to avoid something like this in future. I also see BOB's 5% as fair and have no problem with it.

As for sales going through BOB, that does make things much easier, but there's little you can do when buyers insist they know better. Rather that than lose the sale altogether.

brands online
Hi Brandsonline.

Thanks

Hi Gamu,

I do agree the tone may be a bit harsh, but I can handle that. We're all not masters of language. Besides, BOB didn't throw an accusation of misconduct at me, nor did they disable my account or even give me a warning. They do also need to look after their interests after all. Perhaps a better approach though would have been a simple mail informing me of the charge and the reasons therefore, so we might be able to avoid something like this in future. I also see BOB's 5% as fair and have no problem with it.

As for sales going through BOB, that does make things much easier, but there's little you can do when buyers insist they know better. Rather that than lose the sale altogether.

qball

I have to disagree Gamu :angel:. The tone may be debatable, but it is factual. We do monitor it because many sellers, and I mean MANY sellers attempt this in various ways. I am in no way accusing Brands of doing this, but we do consider it "offsite" trading and we do monitor the transactions of sellers on our site. We merely stated a fact - that it was indeed picked up, that is all, if anyone wants to read into that, please feel free to :biggrin:.

Granted, we could send you an email, but it is noted on your account, and you have access to it at any time (it is also indicated to you on your invoice which is sent to you at the end of the month. You can also filter your account detailed view by transaction ID, date range, invoice period etc.

Hopefully we can lay this matter to rest now? :awesome:

Seeds for Africa
I have to disagree Gamu :angel:. The tone may be debatable, but it is factual. We do monitor it because many sellers, and I mean MANY sellers attempt this in various ways. I am in no way accusing Brands of doing this, but we do consider it "offsite" trading and we do monitor the transactions of sellers on our site. We merely stated a fact - that it was indeed picked up, that is all, if anyone wants to read into that, please feel free to :biggrin:.

Granted, we could send you an email, but it is noted on your account, and you have access to it at any time (it is also indicated to you on your invoice which is sent to you at the end of the month. You can also filter your account detailed view by transaction ID, date range, invoice period etc.

I took exception to the word OFFSIDE!, or did brands spell that wrong? Thats all. I think my feelings on the issue are clear.... i believe bob is a great platform and deserve their 5%.

brands online

R.I.P :smile:

brands online
I took exception to the word OFFSIDE!, or did brands spell that wrong? Thats all. I think my feelings on the issue are clear.... i believe bob is a great platform and deserve their 5%.

no, no, I copied and pasted fromt the mail received :wink:, but I figured it was just a spelling thing.

qball

My bad! :embarrest: It was a spelling mistake. Some of our staff are not naturally English speaking, I do apologise for this or for offending you Gamu. :wink:

Seeds for Africa
no, no, I copied and pasted fromt the mail received :wink:, but I figured it was just a spelling thing.

Offside as per dictionary means - with or in doubtful propriety or taste.

Offsite means - taking place or located away from the site

Big difference in definition.