Sign in to follow this  
leerol

Diamond House Kimberly Token

leerol

Can someone please give me some info on this Token and also a realistic value in rands as well. I believe that it is rare and as can be seen by the scans the grade is quite good.

Thanks

Errol:confused:

goldengun

Hi Errol

It's catalogued at R1500(all prices are for VF specimens), used between 1890 and 1896.

Regards

Werner

leerol

Thanks Werner, I believe that it has a rarety of R8 and that means that there are between 5 and 10 tokens in the world. One would expect a higher value if this is correct. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Regards

Errol

Guest Guest

What creates demand for a coin? - Responding to your post in another thread

Hi Errol

The Diamond House Kimberley token is extremely rare as are the Bechuanaland Border Police tokens... a BBP 6d recently sold for just R130. I was tempted to bid but it was so badly corroded that I didn't, and I already have a nice 6d piece.

The coin that recently sold: Tokens - Bechuanaland Border Police 6d Token was sold for R130.00 on 3 Apr at 20:31 by collectors_invest in Johannesburg (ID:35091271)

I have a Diamond House Kimberley token in lovely condition. The one that you have is in a very worn condition but still extremely rare.

What creates value is knowledge. The problem with the Diamond House Kimberley token is the lack of research done on this piece. Only a very small number of serious collectors of South African token coins pay for extremely rare tokens like I am offering for sale at the moment.

The unique Creighton and Dennis token I have currently listed for sale BoB (which I know will get bids) is unique and widely listed in many coin books (Hern, Snell, Theron, Balson) - see: Tokens - UNIQUE TOKEN COIN: Creighton and Dennis 1/- (Scott Balson Collection) for sale in Australia (ID:35561514)

The other unique piece I have listed on BoB, the St Faiths token, already has a couple of bids and I am sure many are to follow see.. Tokens - UNIQUE COIN: St Faiths 6d and "Galloping Jack" (Scott Balson collection) for sale in Australia (ID:35562179)

Both these coins are unique and amazing investment items, but even they have a very limited market at the moment. As more and more research is published on the Internet this will change. If there was no information on their history they would attract very low bids. It comes back to supply and demand.

As I said in the other thread noting these coins were for sale the reason I am selling them is because I am married and my wife is concerned that they will not land up in the right hands so that their future is assured. As a man living in Australia and approaching 60 I can think of no better place than BoB to ensure this happens. And, yes, I will be selling more gems this year because I want others to enjoy my treasures after I have gone.

Getting back to the Diamond House token.. you can find out more about it here: Sample of rare and interesting South African Token Coins

For a numismatist ownership of a rare coin has responsibilities above and beyond resale for a quick profit.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

leerol

Thank you Scott for all the interesting info regarding the coins/tokens that you are currently selling and your comments on the Diamond House Kimberly token of mine. I will follow the link you posted.

Best Regards

Errol

leerol

Kimberly Diamond House token follow up.

Hi Scott,

[YOUR QUOTE] I have a Diamond House Kimberley token in lovely condition. The one that you have is in a very worn condition but still extremely rare.

If possible, please post scans of your Diamond House token as I would like to compare my token with yours to get an idea of it's grade and quality.

Regards

Errol

barbaro

Hi Scott,

I am really sorry to hear story and i think that it is fantastic that you have decided to do what you are doing with your collection. I would really like to buy a coin from you but after seeing the prices that some of them are going for i'm scared to ask what else you are going to sell coz the price would be out of my range.

Good luck with selling your collection and i'll keep a lookout for your other posts on BoB.

Cheers.

P.S. Errol sorry for intruding on your thread.

leerol

:disgusted:

Guest Guest

The bargain of the year!

Hi Barbaro

I am really sorry to hear story and i think that it is fantastic that you have decided to do what you are doing with your collection. I would really like to buy a coin from you but after seeing the prices that some of them are going for i'm scared to ask what else you are going to sell coz the price would be out of my range.
If I can make one suggestion it is that, post 1994, the focus on what is valuable in numismatics will change from this white-centric view (the coins of the Realm and Boer state ie Union/ ZAR) to embrace the wider gems such as pre-1920 metal token coins which played such a major part in the lives of the local indigenous people.

I have personally congratulated the winner of the UNIQUE Durban Club 6d Pattern I sold on BoB. He picked it up for under R1,000 (including registered airmail postage)! That is, without doubt, the bargain of the year on BoB - I value it at closer to R40,000. In years to come when this coin is resold by the new owner you (and others) will kick yourself for not participating (but that is my view). Here it is.. the unique Durban Club 6d sold for under R1,000!

As a result of the recent response to some extremely rare token coins that I have listed here I will not be relisting them in the near future and be advising my heirs to hang on to them until the "establishment" realise where the real numismatic value.

As a new generation of numismatists evolve in South Africa the once scorned historically significant trade tokens, embraced by the indigenous people, will sell for far more than a 1931 tickey. Why? Because they are more relevant and in demand...

Yes, that old frustrating but relevant law of supply and demand...

PS I will be in South Africa in six weeks and am so looking forward to meeting so many old friends who share my love for this hobby.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

barbaro

Wow well i guess the problm for me and probably many others is the knowledge about these tokens. My personal knowledge is basically non existant. Had i known better i would definitely have bid for it. Thanks again for all the useful info.

leerol

Why don't the two of you start your own thread?

Firstly Scott, when I asked you for information, you gave a short answer to my question and told tell me my token is worn and of low grade You then proceed tell me that you have a better token "show me" and then use my thread to advertise your tokens on my thread. I did not complain but thanked you for your information. Now you ignore my question and continue to use my thread to talk about yourself and your tokens to other members. I believe that my Diamond House Kimberly token is far better than the one on your link and that is why you ignore my request to post scans of your token. Even if you do have a better token, then good for you, but replying to other members on my thread and ignoring my latest question is just bad manners.

Please understand that if you reply to this thread and it is not possitive and with scans of your tokens, then I will not reply as I will not participate in any arguments with you.

Guest Guest

Off - yet On the topic of kind manners...

Why don't the two of you start your own thread?

Firstly Scott, when I asked you for information, you gave a short answer to my question and told tell me my token is worn and of low grade You then proceed tell me that you have a better token "show me" and then use my thread to advertise your tokens on my thread. I did not complain but thanked you for your information. Now you ignore my question and continue to use my thread to talk about yourself and your tokens to other members. I believe that my Diamond House Kimberly token is far better than the one on your link and that is why you ignore my request to post scans of your token. Even if you do have a better token, then good for you, but replying to other members on my thread and ignoring my latest question is just bad manners.

Please understand that if you reply to this thread and it is not possitive and with scans of your tokens, then I will not reply as I will not participate in any arguments with you.

Hi!

WOW! Now you are truly rude towards them man - curtesy is not an effort - it's a lifestyle!

Or are you "new?" Or Both? Regardless - rather send these truly helpful and kind members a PM (Private mail) and asked them not to ignore you - :thinking:... - from now on... (Their information is very interesting and surely helpful to others and, not only to you too...

Now, "chill your piesang" and just smile - back to you... :angel:

Kind regards and have a wonderful week.

leerol

Hi

Good point, should of used PM.

qball

Let's all take some time to settle down, stick to the topic and do not use the thread to advertise your items.

Thanks

Guest Guest

Hi Leerol

If you had read my post above you would have seen that the link to some of my rare tokens took you directly to high quality thumbnails of these tokens.. here's that link again. (Click on the thumbnails or screen sized images of and more information on the Diamond House Kimberley token).

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Guest Guest

Dear Scott...

What a true gentleman you are... It is always a lovely experience to read your posts... Thank you for the wonderful information and, as always...; sincere respect to you.

Kind regards

Edmund....

leerol

Thanks Scott

Cheers